Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they open up fully it would speed up the transition away from ICE which is only a good thing
Gazing over at other European countries which have fully or very nearly fully had their SuC networks opened - it fosters more competition certainly.

Not sure it necessarily correlates with speeding the transition from ICE directly.

There’s inherent supercharger design aspects which only the shortcomings become apparent when you step away from a Tesla and charge from them in a non-Tesla vehicle for example:
- relatively much shorter charging cables (even v4 units) compared to other networks, curtailing what vehicles can use SuC or leading to poor use of the facility (blocking bays)
- the lack of 800v compatibility for cars with 800v architectures
- the loss of Tesla only plug and go capability

Last edited:
Gazing over at other European countries which have fully or very nearly fully had their SuC networks opened - it fosters more competition certainly.

Not sure it necessarily correlates with speeding the transition from ICE directly.

There’s inherent supercharger design aspects which only the shortcomings become apparent when you step away from a Tesla and charge from them in a non-Tesla vehicle for example:
- relatively much shorter charging cables (even v4 units) compared to other networks, curtailing what vehicles can use SuC or leading to poor use of the facility (blocking bays)
Yeah, agreed, It'll be interesting to see what impact the addition of NACS and supercharger access has on the US sales (and charge port positioning) of the brands that have decided to switch over from CCS. Ultimately I think perceived (in)convenience is still a big factor when considering a switch and anything that can ease those fears is a good thing

It's amazing EV owners don't see the benefits of encouraging wider EV adoption.
I am all for wider EV adoption but it needs to happen at the same pace as the infrastructure and the tech. I am OK since I have a drive live in the middle of a small country and don't do many long journeys. Not everyone is as well adapted to EV ownership right now including:
Anyone without a drive
Anyone who does long journeys day in day out
Anyone who likes to tow a caravan
etc
If we all woke up tomorrow and found all the ICE cars had turned into EV's overnight I think we can all agree there would be chaos so the right rate of adoption at the moment is somewhere between 0 and 100% I am just not sure where is healthy. Maybe the current rate is about right? I don't know.

If we all woke up tomorrow and found all the ICE cars had turned into EV's overnight I think we can all agree there would be chaos so the right rate of adoption at the moment is somewhere between 0 and 100% I am just not sure where is healthy. Maybe the current rate is about right? I don't know.

Absolutely, but we aren't even close to 1% of the rolling stock on UK roads been EVs. Eventually every petrol station we see today need to be EV rapid charger sites. But that costs ££££££.

The more EV drivers there are, the quicker business cases can make sense. If Tesla still believe in their missions statement '“to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.” Not allowing other EVs to charge at Tesla stalls makes zero sense.

Absolutely, but we aren't even close to 1% of the rolling stock on UK roads been EVs. Eventually every petrol station we see today need to be EV rapid charger sites. But that costs ££££££.

The more EV drivers there are, the quicker business cases can make sense. If Tesla still believe in their missions statement '“to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.” Not allowing other EVs to charge at Tesla stalls makes zero sense.
Are you sure we aren't close to 1% yet? 4% of the cars on Autotrader are BEV's I know that is not the same thing but its an indicator and I am not sure all of those petrol stations we see today will survive.
I am not a big believer in the mission statements of publicly traded corporations ("don't be evil" anyone?) at the end of the day they all actually have the same one "do what is going to make the must money for us and our shareholders"

Reactions: roadcred

You also have to use an app on those without card payment. I'm in France right now in an MG4 and I failed to get a charge at a supercharger twice, once because all the superchargers literally disappeared from the app for an hour or so and the second time because the app randomly changed my billing country and wouldn't allow me to charge ( you can't change the country yourself, you have to contact Tesla and get them to do it).

well, not sure..

currently I see one of my local petrol station has EV chargers being installed. will post pics once get there (not really keen to go out this weather...:)

Anyone who likes to tow a caravan

They'll need to buy a Pebble Flow. Nice aerodynamic shape ("300% better" allegedly!), and 45 kWh battery which, if I read the article correctly, as well as powering the lights etc. also contributes to the drive. In fact, arrive, unhitch, then just use the remote control to move it into position :)

If we all woke up tomorrow and found all the ICE cars had turned into EV's overnight

I reckon in that same dream the infrastructure would have been solved too :)

Eventually every petrol station we see today need to be EV rapid charger sites. But that costs ££££££.

The cost of the cleanup, removal of the old underground fossil-fuel tanks etc., is going to also be ££££££

I'm not convince that many fossil fuel forecourts are

In the right place for EV charging
Big enough for (enough) cars to dwell for 20 minutes
Have a big enough "shop" to sell the things that people would want - although maybe a coffee and a burger is enough - but they need to make money from the time that a car will dwell there, so add on services may be necessary to make the site cost effective. Currently Rapid Charging is about the same price as Petrol, but takes 4x as long.

Whereas Supermarket :

Have loads of parking spaces
Could have both long-dwell / low-kW chargers, and also Rapids for people only stopping for 20 minutes
Doing a Big Shop would easily occupy the charging time
Might well be other shops in walking distance

Motorway Services

Have loads of parking, in addition to the forecourt area, so they can behave like supermarket car parks (and are already doing so to various extents)

Reactions: ACarneiro and ringi
You also have to use an app on those without card payment. I'm in France right now in an MG4 and I failed to get a charge at a supercharger twice, once because all the superchargers literally disappeared from the app for an hour or so and the second time because the app randomly changed my billing country and wouldn't allow me to charge ( you can't change the country yourself, you have to contact Tesla and get them to do it).
Anecdotally I’ve heard of MG issues using superchargers or even being outright blocked by Tesla. Something to do with CCS compatibility apparently

Reactions: ringi

They’ll need a forecourt layout redesign at some sites - otherwise there will be queues out the street…as there have been this week with ICEV!! 🤣

I feel like the 400 volt / 800 volt thing is also a bit of an issue. Sure they work but most 800 volt cars charge much slower on 400 volt chargers. Turn around speeds before cars have enough juice and can unplug will suffer.

I think if I had a 800 volt car, I’d rather not use a Supercharger but of course nice to have it as a backup. The other networks just don’t have the quality or quality in their networks yet.