Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Opening Superchargers to non-Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Norway and Sweden later next year.

And also a bit thin on the how.
- will it be limited to a select Brand or all
- how will billing work. Will 3rd party cars need an app, or will automatic VIN detection work for other cars (iso 151181 does have a plug & charge standard)
- will the cables need to be lengthened (the existing supercharger cables are very much made to measure - they'd probably work for say an MG with the front cap, but I suspect wouldn't reach a Taycan)

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Why don't the makers of slow charging stations figure out how to make theirs faster? Why is Tesla expected to help them out. Many of other manufacturers, say Taycan, have everything BUT the charging infrastructure, so now they want to use Tesla's system so they can sell cars?

Well, since Tesla has always said they want to get other manufacturers to MAKE EVs, I guess this would be a help, but I'd be ticked if I came to a supercharger and found I had to wait on a bunch of Fords, Chevys, and Toyotas to charge. Wouldn't make me feel very charitable. Hope Tesla charges them all a bundle.

This puzzle me a little bit. When we bought a Tesla, some of the cost was used to build the Supercharger network, what ever or not you will use it.

So should a non Tesla owner then will have to pay an initial fee or a subsription to contribute the cost of the Supercharger network?

This puzzle me a little bit. When we bought a Tesla, some of the cost was used to build the Supercharger network, what ever or not you will use it.

So should a non Tesla owner then will have to pay an initial fee or a subsription to contribute the cost of the Supercharger network?
Agree part of my purchase price was to cover the supercharger network however in return I recieved free use whilst I own the car. That isnt changing.
A non-tesla owner and indeed more recent tesla owners now pay to use the network I helped (in a very small way) fund. So they are paying their way and I still enjoy the benefit of my early adoption, as promised.

Reactions: MC3OZ and Hairyman
This article is such a beat-up. When you wade through all the puffery and reheated rehash of previously reported rumours, the “news”, such as it is, is that Tesla will make a small number of new Superchargers that receive public funding in Norway open to other vehicles. How many? Five! That’s it.

”The condition for benefits is that infrastructure must be developed with a publicly available offer. Tesla applied for benefits to expand 5 fast-charging stations.”

It will not impact existing Superchargers In Norway. It won’t impact new Superchargers that are fully funded by Tesla In Norway. This is not a company decision that is relevant to any other market. I would not hold my breath that this is some kind of portent.

I guess that doesn’t make for nearly as interesting a headline.

In US, the Model 3/Y/S/X cannot use any CCS chargers, so you can only use Tesla superchargers or L2 chargers, and there is no CCS to Tesla for other cars.

So in US, I cannot see how the any sharing can occur unless a Tesla to CCS or a CCS to Tesla portable adapter get available,
or the superchargers have both plugs, or the Tesla cars switch to CCS plug.

The title of this thread is confusing because the sharing could only be applicable in Europe
where the Model 3 has a CCS plug, and the Tesla superchargers have two plugs because of the Model S/X.

Reactions: Vostok
In US, the Model 3/Y/S/X cannot use any CCS chargers, so you can only use Tesla superchargers or L2 chargers, and there is no CCS to Tesla for other cars.

So in US, I cannot see how the any sharing can occur unless a Tesla to CCS or a CCS to Tesla portable adapter get available,
or the superchargers have both plugs, or the Tesla cars switch to CCS plug.

The title of this thread is confusing because the sharing could only be applicable in Europe
where the Model 3 has a CCS plug, and the Tesla superchargers have two plugs because of the Model S/X.
I hadn’t realised that US Teslas were not equipped with CCS2. CCS2 is in Australia, Europe, South America, India, Middle East and North Africa, so fairly widespread. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

I hadn’t realised that US Teslas were not equipped with CCS2. CCS2 is in Australia, Europe, South America, India, Middle East and North Africa, so fairly widespread. It will be interesting to see how things develop.
You’ve led a sheltered life 😄. If you‘ve ever spent time in US-centric EV forums, there’s repeated demands that legacy auto, if they are to ”prove” their bona-fides and commitment to EVs they must build their own charging network like Tesla did. Otherwise, they are pretenders who are just building “compliance” cars to tick a box. Third party charging networks are ridiculed as slow and unreliable and are for “losers” who didn’t buy a Tesla. It’s a totally different mindset, all brought about by Tesla having a proprietary plug over there.

The concept that in most of the rest of the world one can plug their Model 3 into any third-party network without an adaptor and charge for free not much slower than a Supercharger or charge at a cheaper rate but higher power than a Supercharger simply doesn’t compute. They don’t know what they are missing out on.

Also, USA uses CCS1 on third-party networks not CCS2. I can’t see Tesla ever making the change in North America, their proprietary connector is too entrenched. A bit like they are stuck with imperial measures.

The US and Canada don't use CCS2 anyway. They use CCS1. Except for Tesla.

CCS2 is based on Mennekes (Type 2) which has extra pins to support three-phase charging.

CCS1 is based on J1772 (Type 1) which has one extra pin to support US Level 2 charging (1 hot pin, 1 neutral pin and 1 protective earth is Level 1 at 120v, whereas 2 hot pins and 1 protective earth is Level 2 at 240v). If you want to know about AC charging, and how it leads into J1772, which leads into CCS1, watch this:

If you want to learn more about the hideous but interesting split-phase power that makes J1772 relevant in the US but completely irrelevant here, watch this:

There is a Telsa to CCS-1 adaptor made by EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) Adapters.com

ccs1-tes-2.jpg