Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, just marketing that's gone bad as I am going to start shopping for other cars. I called and was told that the standard model will not be available until the end of 2018 at the earliest - even for existing owners. I think I have had enough of this wait.

Sorry to hear that you've lost patience. I'm curious to find out what car you end up getting instead of the Model 3. Please let us know.

Yup, just marketing that's gone bad as I am going to start shopping for other cars. I called and was told that the standard model will not be available until the end of 2018 at the earliest - even for existing owners. I think I have had enough of this wait.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

I am buying this car because I believe in Tesla's (Elon's) Master Plan.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

I am buying this car because I believe in Tesla's (Elon's) Master Plan.

Very stirring for sure, but when you're not actually able to help in the fight (at least for the car) and your duty is to wait, yeah, that's not going to move people. "Please be even more patient that is your duty" is not exactly stirring.

Imagine this scenario:

An expensive version of a product is available for you to buy now.
A cheaper version is not available to buy now.
There is a discount currently available on the expensive version.

You ask a salesperson when the cheaper version will be available. From what they tell you, you think that it won't be available until after the discount is removed.

Do you believe the salesperson?

Very stirring for sure, but when you're not actually able to help in the fight (at least for the car) and your duty is to wait, yeah, that's not going to move people. "Please be even more patient that is your duty" is not exactly stirring.

When it comes to new cars, waiting is always a good way to save money. That's why car marketing is so desperate.

Still have owners that have not been invited. (like me)

I'm aware of many owners that reserved after June 2017 that are still waiting (including myself) there is still a ways to go.
Reserved in November of 2017, got the invite to configure today!

I held my place for the standard version, and there's another box that says March 2018.

Also it has "Lease" as an option.

...I called and was told that the standard model will not be available until the end of 2018 at the earliest - even for existing owners...

Have others heard this as well? I was assuming that they would make at least some SR models "any day now"...

standard1.jpg

Speaking of car marketing, some manufacturers offer a very limited supply of "base models" just so they can justify advertising a lower base price even though they expect most people to buy the upgraded / optioned versions.

I wonder what mix of SR vs LR production does Tesla plan?

A long while back, Tesla had a base 40kWh Model S but it was quickly cancelled...
Tesla 'Cancels' Lowest-Spec Model S, Expects Full Profitability in Q1 2013

Why would you assume that when Elon still has thousands(?) of non-owner line-waiters ready to purchase a LR?

I wouldn't make the assumption myself, but I can see some logic to that path for Tesla. Owners have already paid a higher price for a more expensive car (they've already owned a Roadster, S, or X), so they may on average have more money to throw at a new car than the average non-owner reservation holder (I'm in this boat). Timing SR production with sending non-owner invites may reduce the number of deferrals they have to deal with. The more deferrals there are, the more likely those people won't purchase at all (especially if they miss the federal tax credit window).

Why would you assume that when Elon still has thousands(?) of non-owner line-waiters ready to purchase a LR?

Because the delivery estimators still says "Early 2018" SR for many people. And they had announced plans to be making them by now.
And they may want to make at least a few token SR versions just for the "optics" of saying that they did.

Personally, I am waiting for an LR, so it doesn't matter to me if they delay SR. Just saying that I could see some PR value to them if they popped out a few SRs someday soon.

Now if they switched the line fully over to just doing SR to satisfy employee & owners who are waiting for SR, I would be upset. I want to get my LR ASAP.

Reactions: Rusty1