TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Owner in Autopilot Crash Won’t Sue, But Car Insurer May

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by Tam, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Tam

Tam Active Member

Tesla Owner in Autopilot Crash Won’t Sue, But Car Insurer May

Another Autopilot crash in Texas similar to Montana curvy mountain road thread.

Mark Molthan was driving a Model S with Autopilot that could handle a bend on Highway 175 in rural Kaufman, Texas before but not on 8/7/2016 as it collided with guardrails.

Unlike Montana case, the driver readily admitted that it was his mistake for not being ready to take over the system as needed.

Just like Montana case, this driver also expected the system to slow down or stop the car in a collision but it did not.

[​IMG]

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I fear we will see more of this. Some folks here admit to reading e-mails, etc while driving in autopilot, so I am sure it's not that uncommon to overly trust the system.

I still predict Tesla's hand will be forced (either by regulators or bad press) to add more limitations to the system. Either via frequent nags or geofencing.

• Like x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member