Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I also found it odd that the salespeople at the Tesla store said that the first time they heard of the Model 3 reservations was from Elons tweet. I guess the best way to keep secrets is to not inform any of your employees and then surprise them just as quickly as you surprised the customers?! I suppose they do not even have everything ironed out yet, and it'll be the 11th hour that final details will be given. But aren't we used to that by now with Tesla? Heh.

On another note, the 10K filing is posted and there is an interesting tidbit in there:

As of December 31, 2015 the following two performance milestones were considered probable of achievement:

·Successful completion of the Model 3 Alpha Prototype; and

·Successful completion of the Model 3 Beta Prototype

So it seems the rumors of "just pictures of model 3" are unlikely to be true. Very high chance they'll drive a beta model 3 up on stage!

With Elon its hard to know but I think Elon's comments were misinterpreted anyway (probably deliberately in some cases). What he suggested was essentially that he wouldn't necessarily reveal everything about the model 3 - implication being that he was keeping his cards close to his chest. The implication taken by many (most?) analysts and writers was that the model 3 was behind schedule and therefore Tesla wouldn't have a model 3 available to show. Of course its possible that they're right and Elon is hiding the lack of progress but I think that is unlikely. He could do as he has done in the past for the model S and X (and as GM did with the Bolt) and just roll out something that looks like the model 3 even if it was built by hand and has a mock-up of the drive train. I think it more likely that they want the ultimate reveal to be when they have developed it and their competition will have to scramble to catch up. So far each thing that Tesla has revealed, e.g. price and range has been duplicated by other manufacturers (or at least they are claiming the same or better).

we are all speculating based on a Tweet from Elon that we should line up at the store to reserve. Even the salespeople seem a little unsure. Strange.

Spoke to the Tesla Calgary salesperson today , he said the Chinook Mall management is making arrangements in anticipation of line up for Model 3 on March 31st, he directed me to speak to the Information guys for details , he kept repeating that he does not have much information.

Anyone in for a Saturday morning Breakfast? Cora's bow valley square down town, 8am?
Isn't downtown a rather awkward place to try to do a tesla meet up?

Took our Tesla to the Rocky Mountains, visited Lake Louise, and Banff. And the supercharger in Canmore. Amazing scenery!
Great news that you were able to conveniently do that trip. I don't have the time to watch a 46 minute video, but could you tell me about charging, specifically I'm trying to figure out, if you don't charge in louise, can you get back to Calgary? (Assuming stopping in Canmore one way? Both ways? )

Spoke to the Tesla Calgary salesperson today , he said the Chinook Mall management is making arrangements in anticipation of line up for Model 3 on March 31st, he directed me to speak to the Information guys for details , he kept repeating that he does not have much information.

That's pretty crazy that they really are talking to Chinook Mall management for a potential line-up for a likely $50,000CAD electric car in the heart of oil and gas town (darn those exchange rates!). I was slightly skeptical and maybe hoping there wouldn't be too many people there, but if they are talking to management I suppose there might be at least 50 people? 100 would be crazy for Calgary, and anything above that would mean massive lineup all over certain states like California.

So I had a chat with the staff at chinook, they say they encourage owners to park in the Tesla stalls in the parkade when there are empty ones. He wanted to make sure I was charging :)

Edit: returned to the car, 6 stalls, 3 ICEd, 2 test drive vehicles, and me. As I left an ICE pulled in to the stall as another test drive vehicle returned... I think they'll have to do some work around their ICE problem. (They have the usual useless red Tesla signs, nothing useful to tell people not to park there)

Last edited:
Couple of pilons should fix that, but people will be ignorant regardless. And the attitude is likely "why should ev get special treatment". So for now it will be a battle.
When I arrived one of the stalls had orange barricades across it, when I left that stall had an ICE in it. Now I don't know if the ICE driver moved the barricades, or if someone else did, but it wasn't a promising situation. Unfortunately the Tesla stalls are on P1, front and centre. It's good for publicity, which is probably why they are there, but it's a horrible spot for ICEing, would be better in the back corner on P2

car.jpg

A picture Lon12's son took of my car as we drove up to Edmonton together...

gazette.jpg

Which trounces the quality of this photo taken for the St. Albert Gazette.

My photo of Lon12 is a poor runner up...
lon.jpg

When I arrived one of the stalls had orange barricades across it, when I left that stall had an ICE in it. Now I don't know if the ICE driver moved the barricades, or if someone else did, but it wasn't a promising situation. Unfortunately the Tesla stalls are on P1, front and centre. It's good for publicity, which is probably why they are there, but it's a horrible spot for ICEing, would be better in the back corner on P2

Do any of us know or have copies of any notices we can place on vehicles that are ICEing these spots? Or an image that we can all print ourselves and share? Most of the time it's because ICE drivers do not realize those spots are anything and/or do not care. Maybe a little nice note left on their windshield could help.

Do any of us know or have copies of any notices we can place on vehicles that are ICEing these spots? Or an image that we can all print ourselves and share? Most of the time it's because ICE drivers do not realize those spots are anything and/or do not care. Maybe a little nice note left on their windshield could help.
Considering the sheer volume of vehicles trying to park at Chinook, I fear an education campaign like that is a losing battle.
My recommendation would be that Tesla should make some minor changes. Ditch the useless red signs (ideally ditch them world wide, they don't match any existing signage people respect, and they have all the wrong wording) and replace with signs that explicitly state no parking except tesla vehicles. Next, paint the floor of those spaces, that gives a visual cue before someone even gets to the stall that these are different. I believe these two things would go a long way. If that's not enough, the next step is to work with mall security on a towing plan. If all of that isn't enough, then start inconveniencing everyone with pilons

@ggenge has something along the lines of "how would you like it if I parked my car in front of the gas pump?"

I don't see the ICE'd situation at Chinook being much of an issue. Tesla will likely paint it all red/white like they do at other malls and then mall security will tag owners. I'm sure Tesla is paying a pretty penny to lease those spots at the mall...

This looks promising...
(Photo from EVAA facebook group)
Note on the far end of the photo the 2 ICEs parked behind the baricades...
In that picture, there are 6 stalls, 3 Teslas, 2 ICEd, and one empty, but 3 of the stalls are barricaded.
When I arrived yesterday the barricades were blocking one stall, others were open, when I left the barricades were behind a pillar and the stall was ICEd

Paint on the floor would go a long way to help, but these are PRIME spots. This is exactly why, when someone suggested the Calgary Supercharger would be at Chinook, that I said they could not possibly find a worse location for it in the entire city.

In that picture, there are 6 stalls, 3 Teslas, 2 ICEd, and one empty, but 3 of the stalls are barricaded.
When I arrived yesterday the barricades were blocking one stall, others were open, when I left the barricades were behind a pillar and the stall was ICEd

Paint on the floor would go a long way to help, but these are PRIME spots. This is exactly why, when someone suggested the Calgary Supercharger would be at Chinook, that I said they could not possibly find a worse location for it in the entire city.

Unless there is a sign that specifically states "NO PARKING" except for Tesla vehicles, some ICE drivers will try their best to go out of their way and park at these stalls. Be it for convenience, or to stick their thumbs in EV eyes. I mean, isn't it inconvenient to get out of your car and move a barricade?

It could very well be people taking test drives. Drive the demo car out, park your car. No need to assume the worst right away. I'd like to think people aren't so bold as to move a barrier to park, but then I've been proven wrong before. Are these stalls reserved for any Telsa owner or are they reserved for the use of the Tesla store?

It could very well be people taking test drives. Drive the demo car out, park your car. No need to assume the worst right away. I'd like to think people aren't so bold as to move a barrier to park, but then I've been proven wrong before. Are these stalls reserved for any Telsa owner or are they reserved for the use of the Tesla store?
See my post earlier, I talked with the store, and they encourage their owners to make use of these stalls.

Next, paint the floor of those spaces, that gives a visual cue before someone even gets to the stall that these are different. I believe these two things would go a long way. If that's not enough, the next step is to work with mall security on a towing plan. If all of that isn't enough, then start inconveniencing everyone with pilons
m000340919_sc7?$splssku$.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg8VlfBxt9KX75WldGDKDBBRt8wDuw2YjoffWZuQvB_Vh_CHRY4w.png

Last edited: