Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See my post earlier, I talked with the store, and they encourage their owners to make use of these stalls.

OK, but it's still possible that those ICE cars behind the barriers are people doing test drives. If people really are moving barriers just to park, I guess I need to readjust my expectations of Calgarian drivers yet again. Even if I was a Tesla owner I wouldn't park behind the barrier, because it seems like a clear signal that the store needs that space.

OK, but it's still possible that those ICE cars behind the barriers are people doing test drives. If people really are moving barriers just to park, I guess I need to readjust my expectations of Calgarian drivers yet again. Even if I was a Tesla owner I wouldn't park behind the barrier, because it seems like a clear signal that the store needs that space.

Or maybe it is Tesla owner but not necessarily driving their Tesla at the time? (Why wouldnt you drive the Tesla!? heh).

Anyhow, one time I was charging at the Calgary Ikea and two ICE drivers pulled into the stalls beside me and parked and walked into the store. Both big 4x4 trucks. Being as how they looked like they were on a mission and I didn't care to cause conflict, I did not stop to confront them. They both clearly saw the signs and saw me getting charging cable and kind of just did not give a second thought. I politely talked to an associate in the Ikea store to inform them and they said they would talk to their supervisors about it later on but I never verified or followed up after that. Adjusting your expectations of Calgary drivers might be a good idea...

Perhaps not having these charging spots in such great locations would help. I mean, do we EV drivers really really need to be right beside handicap spots or close to the entrances of businesses? I get that they are trying to encourage adoption of the technology, but a part of me wishes there were some cruddier far-off spots that people didn't want to park at anyhow. It sure takes the "rich guy with a Tesla is getting even more privileges" feeling out of the way.

Perhaps not having these charging spots in such great locations would help. I mean, do we EV drivers really really need to be right beside handicap spots or close to the entrances of businesses? I get that they are trying to encourage adoption of the technology, but a part of me wishes there were some cruddier far-off spots that people didn't want to park at anyhow. It sure takes the "rich guy with a Tesla is getting even more privileges" feeling out of the way.
There are a couple of different things going on with this one.
1) in this particular situation, the prime location is good because the primary goal of this one is to sell Teslas. Any charging benefit is purely an added bonus. This is parking for store vehicles, and the most important thing for them is having a nice big advertisement where it can easily be seen.
2) in general, charging stalls end up in convenient locations simply because when you put them at the far corners of parking lots it exponentially increases the install cost due to needing to run much longer wires from the electrical source, which tends to be inside the building.

That said, I actually prefer if the spots are a bit out of the way, but it just doesn't always make sense. That, and there isn't anywhere on the Chinook mall property that wouldn't have an ICEing problem, that mall is far too busy for the amount of parking it has.

There are a couple of different things going on with this one.
1) in this particular situation, the prime location is good because the primary goal of this one is to sell Teslas. Any charging benefit is purely an added bonus. This is parking for store vehicles, and the most important thing for them is having a nice big advertisement where it can easily be seen.
2) in general, charging stalls end up in convenient locations simply because when you put them at the far corners of parking lots it exponentially increases the install cost due to needing to run much longer wires from the electrical source, which tends to be inside the building.

That said, I actually prefer if the spots are a bit out of the way, but it just doesn't always make sense. That, and there isn't anywhere on the Chinook mall property that wouldn't have an ICEing problem, that mall is far too busy for the amount of parking it has.

I fully agree with you on all points. I didn't think much about the cost of running electrical far off away from a building.

That's pretty crazy that they really are talking to Chinook Mall management for a potential line-up for a likely $50,000CAD electric car in the heart of oil and gas town (darn those exchange rates!). I was slightly skeptical and maybe hoping there wouldn't be too many people there, but if they are talking to management I suppose there might be at least 50 people? 100 would be crazy for Calgary, and anything above that would mean massive lineup all over certain states like California.

I also talked to Sam? at the Calgary store last week when I was in town. He said that the mall has experience in handling this sort of thing (He mentioned The Force Awakens as a recent example) and made it sound like it was going to be an awful lot of people. He said that the volume of people asking about Model 3 has been considerable since Elon's tweet. Keep in mind that the next closest store is Vancouver, so you're probably going to see folks from all over Alberta, parts of Eastern BC and, Western SK.

I'm going to have a tough time getting out of work, but I plan on leaving Edmonton right after work on the 30th and rolling directly down to Chinook to gauge the crowd. I'm prepared to hang out all night if required...

Do any of us know or have copies of any notices we can place on vehicles that are ICEing these spots? Or an image that we can all print ourselves and share? Most of the time it's because ICE drivers do not realize those spots are anything and/or do not care. Maybe a little nice note left on their windshield could help.

Okay, this is obviously something we need. I made something this morning. There's a version for folks with double-sided printers, and a very similar version for single-sided printers. Four to a sheet; it'll require a little bit of cutting.

EV Parking -- Double-Sided
EV Parking -- Single-Sided

Just close the pop-up that wants you to sign up for Dropbox. You don't need to sign up.

Let me know if this does the trick! :smile:

Designed and posted, but alas! not hosted, with clean solar energy.

Okay, this is obviously something we need. I made something this morning. There's a version for folks with double-sided printers, and a very similar version for single-sided printers. Four to a sheet; it'll require a little bit of cutting.

EV Parking -- Double-Sided
EV Parking -- Single-Sided

Just close the pop-up that wants you to sign up for Dropbox. You don't need to sign up.

Let me know if this does the trick! :smile:

Designed and posted, but alas! not hosted, with clean solar energy.

That's a losing battle... I tried "discussing" this with an ICE that parked in EV parking and he just gave me the proverbial finger. He didn't care what we said.

Probably working from salvage packs, I think it might limit his throughput, but hey, as only one guy, he might be able to do it as he obviously can only do so many projects per year.

That said, I think some of his numbers are suspect, $3 to get to Edmonton? If he can do that, he's either found a much better rate plan than I know of, or he's counting on a vehicle at least 3 times as efficient as the Model S, I don't see that as realistic. $25,000 for the conversion? only if he's giving his labour away basically for free. The parts cost alone is bound to approach that number.

That's a losing battle... I tried "discussing" this with an ICE that parked in EV parking and he just gave me the proverbial finger. He didn't care what we said.

Yeah, obviously there are those sorts of people out there. There's nothing anybody could write that would make a difference in that case. Still, I am hoping that at least some ICEers simply don't know or didn't read the sign.

- - - Updated - - -

No (because they're not made in China*), but there was one for sale in Edmonton not long ago. :smile:
Maybe it's reappearing in his conversions.. Regardless of the batteries he's using, that's really cool! Always thought there should be electric boats.

* My family refers to Canadian Tire as China Tire, however I did manage to find a good pair of Canadian-made winter boots there recently ...

Last edited:
Candela Speed Boat

This company looks to be doing it right although it will be one expensive boat! (and hard to put on a lift) [EDIT: Now I see the foils are retractable so no problem with conventional boat lifts]

Wow, that's the Tesla of the boating world! No doubt it comes with a one-of-a-kind Roadsterlike price tag too. It looks spiffy and classy while still conventional and logical, much like the Model S.

Probably working from salvage packs, I think it might limit his throughput, but hey, as only one guy, he might be able to do it as he obviously can only do so many projects per year.

That said, I think some of his numbers are suspect, $3 to get to Edmonton? If he can do that, he's either found a much better rate plan than I know of, or he's counting on a vehicle at least 3 times as efficient as the Model S, I don't see that as realistic. $25,000 for the conversion? only if he's giving his labour away basically for free. The parts cost alone is bound to approach that number.
I think the $3 is probably doable - just. I've recently switched to e.nrg for my electricity and I'm now getting the flow through rate plus 0.55 cents per kWh. Some months the flow through has been as low as 2.6 which means I would be paying 3.15 cents per kWh. 100 kWhs would only cost $3.15 and would easily get me to Edmonton (probably more like 70 kWh). This is the bottom end of the rates so the average likely much higher; however, I'm just saying it is possible if the stars align correctly. For the record, I'm also paying for 100% green energy which is about 1.5 cents more per kWh.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that's the Tesla of the boating world! No doubt it comes with a one-of-a-kind Roadsterlike price tag too. It looks spiffy and classy while still conventional and logical, much like the Model S.
It has my attention. Price will be interesting - and also information on charging. Wouldn't want to have to wait 35 hours to fill the battery.