Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Parts for Over-the-Counter(No VIN)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That designation may mean you could get them, but that doesn't mean you will get them. I tried to order a part listed like that (Over-the-Counter(No VIN)) and all I have heard back from Tesla is crickets in over a week.

If you are used to buying parts for any other car, you are in for a rude transition. In my short experience with Tesla, you are more likely to get parts from a '56 Studebaker than you are to get Tesla parts.

However, there are some members here on the forum who get parts, sadly, I just don't appear to have the same luck.

BR

Reactions: davezforce
I have been buying parts from SC often and have not had problems. I have placed the orders via text messaging (using the text thread from a prior service), email, and the App, and they all worked fine. I guess that we have a good SC.

Is there anyway to buy parts that are VIN restricted besides trying to find someone with config/VIN that you need? I’m trying to do a project but the parts are restricted.
If the parts are restricted the only way to get them is to have tesla install it. Perfect example: my charge port door sensor failed and I could easily DIY if they gave me the part but since its part of the HV system its restricted so i had to pay like $100 in labor for tesla to install an $80 part.

I have bought other parts from them without issue like the louvers, i bought all 3 louvers from the SC and it was very simple and easy, and i installed them myself in my driveway.

Perfect example: my charge port door sensor failed and I could easily DIY if they gave me the part but since its part of the HV system its restricted so i had to pay like $100 in labor for tesla to install an $80 part.
I, on the other hand was able to order new charge port door and managed to install it in my driveway.

edit: found corresponding thread

Last edited:
I have been buying parts from SC often and have not had problems. I have placed the orders via text messaging (using the text thread from a prior service), email, and the App, and they all worked fine. I guess that we have a good SC.
you must have the best SC in the US. I see the parts catalog and part#'s but no prices??? do they make up prices as they please? also if you didn't have a previous service text messages how would you go about ordering a part that doesn't even have a price? there is no such "over the counter" parts with tesla...you need at least a counter to start with..duh. im going to try to change all this BS with Tesla service the things I've been through just in the past 2.5 months is unbelievable. You all heard of Ralph Nader well he's retired. Watch out. I'm not stopping till things are right. all these kids that are managers and regional managers of service centers don't have no automotive background come from amazon, target...they are playing in the sandbox.

The first part I purchased (LTE board and SIM) I walked to the service counter/desk and asked. It was uneventful.

As for prices, they gave a quote and asked if I wanted to move ahead with ordering. One time they just ordered without providing the price first.

I, on the other hand was able to order new charge port door and managed to install it in my driveway.

edit: found corresponding thread
one. is Tesla going to do when all 100 of 1000's cars start getting old and in total loss accidents are they going to have there own pick ur part junk yard where they buy all there vehicles back that are heading to the scrap yard? I don't think so its just a matter of time especially all those model 3 and Y start "dying" Parts galore

you must have the best SC in the US. I see the parts catalog and part#'s but no prices??? do they make up prices as they please? also if you didn't have a previous service text messages how would you go about ordering a part that doesn't even have a price? there is no such "over the counter" parts with tesla...you need at least a counter to start with..duh. im going to try to change all this BS with Tesla service the things I've been through just in the past 2.5 months is unbelievable. You all heard of Ralph Nader well he's retired. Watch out. I'm not stopping till things are right. all these kids that are managers and regional managers of service centers don't have no automotive background come from amazon, target...they are playing in the sandbox.

Paramus SC has a parts desk. Nobody responds to emails or voicemails there, so I just walk in and order at the desk. Kind of annoying to drive an hour there and find parts are not in stock though.

Paramus SC has a parts desk. Nobody responds to emails or voicemails there, so I just walk in and order at the desk. Kind of annoying to drive an hour there and find parts are not in stock though.
The Paramus SC was acting like they were doing me a favor by ordering parts for my car. Lol arrogance I swear, we have a right to repair our cars and not have to be funneled through overpriced, overquoting "certified" tesla repair centers. $125 an hour for certified centers meanwhile my local service center that is not Tesla certified is $55 an hour for labor and they do Mercedes, BMW, etc.