Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Performance Model 3 Laguna Seca new mods and PB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if these pads have the spring retainers for the performance brakes that keep the pads in place when the brakes are released.

I have the Unplugged pads and they rattle terribly on potholed roads. The car is so quiet otherwise that its really distracting to hear the pad rattling around in there.

There is no retainer spring either. The trick is to reuse the OEM shim on the rear outside pad. It will eliminate the rattle. It works on this pad and on my previous UPP rear pads as well.

Yeah point by always fills up really fast with NCRC.

How was Track Masters? I've run with HOD, NCRC, Lotus Club, and a couple others. I like Lotus Club and NCRC the best because of the focus on safety and relatively low cost. Really hoping to see a Tesla out there on Friday this week!

Trackmasters racing is pretty good! Well organized, low car count. They don't really like passing in the corner and discourage passing after 8 to 11 for the point by group. Other than that I had a really good time. I would run with them again if given the chance.

There is no retainer spring either. The trick is to reuse the OEM shim on the rear outside pad. It will eliminate the rattle. It works on this pad and on my previous UPP rear pads as well.

I emailed Unplugged and they are taking care of me. From what I remember the missing spring clips were a part of the factory pads.

Great company to buy from, will post once I install the replacements.

Finally got a chance to test out my new suspension setup with Mountainpass Performance AWD Sport 2-way adjust coilovers and I had a blast! Car feels very balanced and I am able to fully attack corners that I couldn't before. It has just enough corner entry overseer to help rotate the car and then feels super planted in corner exit. It deals with compression very well and the car never gets unsettled from bumps or dips on the track.

Special shout out to John at https://www.facebook.com/kndacomplx for getting me these prototype Endless pads. No more high brake temp warning even on stock rotors. It insulates the heat away from the caliper pistons so brake fluid does not heat up as easily. It performs really well both on the street and on the track. The bite is high once heated up and the brake modulation and release is top notch. It seems to wear very well and is gentle on the rotors. Best pads I've had out of OEM, Unplugged Performance Street and Track pads, and RacingBrake XT910.

Setup: 18x9.5 with Nitto NT01 265/40/18 1st track day
Mountainpass Performance AWD Sport coilovers
Mountainpass Performance rear Toe and Camber suspension arms
Prototype Endless endurance racing pads
Stock rotors with heatshield removed with Castro SRF fluid and MPP stainless steel line
UPP rear stabilizer bar
Special secrete sauce alignment spec

Alignment and tire mount and road force balanced at The Driveway in San Jose

1PM session, mixed passing group.

Front Straight pass

Nice. I have a Model Y on order, hope it is comparable. FYI, I have raced there many times in the Russell series and vintage, and also do driver instruction for various clubs. My lap times are around 1:54 in my 1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1, running on DOT tires, so your times are quite respectable, esp for a street car.

Reactions: mcbarnet007
@mcbarnet007 Can you confirm that the part number for the rear pad is HP866? This is what the distributor over here says is the one M3 owners have used. It's slightly different than the OEM pad but looks very close.

The pad back plate shape is brand new. I think the HP866 is compound shape that's closest to the OEM compound shape. However, you'll need the correct back plate to use it in P3D caliper.

I too have been waiting for the endless pads to be released as they seem excellent, but so far haven't seen or heard anything... how did you get these prototype pads?

I might have to try another brand since choices are limited and I have some track days coming up soon.

Our Endless pads haven't been officially released yet, but thanks to the great feedback from MCBarnet007 it looks like we're definitely on the right track.

We developed our new compound to be slightly more suitable for track use but still street friendly as I'm guessing the Model 3 in particular will be driven a lot, if not mostly, on the street as a daily driver. If anyone is interested we can't offer the pads for free as test at this point, but I think we might be able to offer a group buy option for anyone currently reading this forum.

Our Endless pads haven't been officially released yet, but thanks to the great feedback from MCBarnet007 it looks like we're definitely on the right track.

We developed our new compound to be slightly more suitable for track use but still street friendly as I'm guessing the Model 3 in particular will be driven a lot, if not mostly, on the street as a daily driver. If anyone is interested we can't offer the pads for free as test at this point, but I think we might be able to offer a group buy option for anyone currently reading this forum.

I'd like to see either 2 pad choices, or leaning heavier to the track side.

Also, will the pads include shims for the rear?

Last edited:
Mo

more information on this Group Buy would be appreciated.

Reactions: FlyNavy01