Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been any talk of an option to allow the truck do Vehicle to Grid/Home? It could be a very large powerwall for your home in emergency back up situations.
Even if the truck did not have V2G it should have 120 and 240 VAC outlets for powering tools. If the 240 VAC outlet could handle 10 kW it would be possible to transfer energy from the truck into another Tesla EV using current hardware. With this outlet it would be possible to V2G indirectly. The 240 VAC outlet is the best option. I could really use that feature.

My read is the board or the engineering team interceded on the development of the Y, so we got this weird crossover vehicle verses a Mid-size SUV, so they could get it to market quickly with few engineering changes. (not really what this consumer wanted, so I will wait for the truck).
I hope it has a cab over design too, but actually like the idea of a six passenger cab with a "limited hood" that serves absolutely no purpose in a vehicle that doesn't have an engine compartment.

This would be perfectly fine with me as long as it will fit a standard products made for 8 foot truck beds, If not, I wont buy it.

DldnAuNUUAEXvu_-898x575.jpg

PICK-UP TRUCK BED LENGTH DEFINITIONS

It is important to clarify the nomenclature of bed length to ensure that the truck rack will fit the pick-up properly. Standard short bed The standard short bed, sometimes simply called the standard bed, is by far the most popular type of pickup truck bed. Compact truck beds are generally about 5 ft (1.5 m) long and full-size beds are generally 6.5 ft (2.0 m). These beds offer significant loadhauling versatility, but are not long enough to be difficult to drive or park. Standard Long bed The standard long bed is usually a foot or two longer than the standard short bed and is more popular on trucks of primarily utilitarian employ (for example, commercial work trucks or farm trucks). Compact long beds are generally 7 ft (2.1 m) long and full-size long beds are generally 8 ft (2.4 m) long. Full-size long beds offer the advantage of carrying a standard-size 4 ft×8 ft sheet of plywood, drywall or other material typically produced in that size, with the tailgate closed. Full size long bed trucks also have the advantage of being the standard vehicle to haul a truck camper. In the United States and Canada, long beds are not very popular on compact trucks because of the easy availability of full-size pickup trucks. Extra Short bed There is often confusion when using the term short bed. Usually it refers to a standard short bed, however, some manufacturers, when referring to their 4-door trucks, offer both a standard short bed (about 6.5 ft) as well as an extra-short bed, or super short bed (about 5.5 ft). The manufacturer may refer to the 5.5 ft bed as a short bed and the 6.5 ft bed as a long bed. It is particularly when ordering a truck rack for a truck with 4-door trucks to clarify the actual measured length of the bed. Manufacturers of compact four-door pickup trucks now also offer Short beds or super short beds which may be less than 5 feet long. They are sometimes based on sport utility vehicles, with the bed either attached behind the cab such as the Ford Explorer Sport Trac or built into an integrated assembly such as the Chevrolet Avalanche. Early very short bed trucks had only a regular cab.
An 8 foot bed would be nice to handle an AF camper, replacing a dually Ford F-450.

What Tesla might actually aiming for as their first "pickup" is really a medium truck chassis that can come with a pickup bed. Companies like Fedex and UPS use a lot of these chassis for delivery vans, and many companies have need for delivery trucks.

This makes more sense to me, than the Semi. I don't think trying to replace 1 ton/ 1.5ton pick ups makes much sense - most folks use those to haul loads at distances that would be challenging in an electric vehicle.

An electric power train might work great for garbage trucks/bobtail rigs as well.

While I understand your statement was intended to be hyperbolic, truck people absolutely care about performance and comfort--there's Lightnings and Raptors and luxury trim packages out there to prove it, not to mention the mega aftermarket industry.

snip

The main reason those commercials aren't talking about 0-60 or ride comfort or whatever is because, when compared to cars, the results will often be unimpressive. "

Obviously, comfort is a major selling point for all vehicles - especially for work vehicles. (Many of those gussied up models are sold to better-off folks who spend a great deal of time in their vehicles, in places a modern car wouldn't hold up. Old Cadillacs and Lincolns could be driven in oil fields, and construction sites. Modern ones cannot, any more than a Tesla could.)

I was surprised at how quiet, and comfortable, our work trucks are, compared to my E-classes.

I was also surprised by how rough-riding the current F-150 is. The danger of all the "tow-rating/payload" stuff in a half-ton truck, is they just end up building heavy-halfs, without offering the option of a light half.

Reactions: bxr140
Obviously, comfort is a major selling point for all vehicles - especially for work vehicles. (Many of those gussied up models are sold to better-off folks who spend a great deal of time in their vehicles, in places a modern car wouldn't hold up. Old Cadillacs and Lincolns could be driven in oil fields, and construction sites. Modern ones cannot, any more than a Tesla could.)

I was surprised at how quiet, and comfortable, our work trucks are, compared to my E-classes.

I was also surprised by how rough-riding the current F-150 is. The danger of all the "tow-rating/payload" stuff in a half-ton truck, is they just end up building heavy-halfs, without offering the option of a light half.

My sister lives in Bakersfield and one of her neighbors is the current CEO of a family farming company that has owned land in the Valley since the 1880s. They are extremely well off. My niece babysat for them when in high school and they were invited to her wedding in the Los Angeles area. My sister and I rode down with them to the wedding (we ferried my niece's car back to Bakersfield after the wedding, which was its own adventure).

This was before the Escalade and Navigator, but they had a loaded Chevy Suburban. They had 5 kids so there was a point in having a vehicle with some people carrying capacity and the father was frequently out in farm fields on dirt roads so he needed a 4 wheel drive.

It made some sense for them to have that vehicle, but I thought it was too much for most people.

My sister is a geologist in the oil business (Bakersfield is a major oil center in California). When she worked for Getty they had Chevy Impalas for the Geologists and Engineers who had to go out to the fields, but basic pickups for everyone else. When the company got bought out by Texaco, the bean counters in Houston decided everyone should have Impalas, including the foremen who sometimes needed to haul broken oil rig parts back into town. The edict only lasted until a foreman needed to haul a large fitting back into town and he instructed to roughnecks to put the mud caked part on the back seat because there was nowhere else it would fit. It destroyed the seat.

I haven't been out in the oil fields in a couple of decades, but I doubt there are many Escalades or Navigators out there. Maybe a small oil company's owner might be out there, but for the majors, the vehicles are all pretty basic fleet vehicles.

My SO had to borrow her law partner's fairly new pickup to haul a trailer with her ex's broken down car (she and her ex are still friends, she describes him as an entertaining date, but hell to live with). I picked up the truck and her ex who had driven a fuel truck in San Francisco took it to get the trailer and haul the car the next day.

I thought it might have been that I was too used to driving a Tesla, but I thought the truck was very squirrelly. Her ex confirmed it though. He said it drove like a dream with a trailer, but without he found it a difficult beast to keep on the road.

Different culture, I think. I grew up in the TX Hill Country, so most of the oil men I knew were owners/retired lead fellows. They, and the oil men I knew in Houston, all seemed to drive diesel F-250 4x4 crew cabs.

Its not that, most, of them actually were going into the field any time soon - but they all wanted to drive a vehicle which looked like it could/would actually be somewhat useful.

Now, every commercial GC I know either drives a top end pick up, or a Land Cruiser or Range Rover. Mostly, top end pick ups. (Hence the ads about work space features in high end trucks.)

>> wdolson said:
>> What Tesla might actually aiming for as their first "pickup" is really a medium truck chassis that can come with a pickup bed.
>> Companies like Fedex and UPS use a lot of these chassis for delivery vans, and many companies have need for delivery trucks.

This makes more sense to me, than the Semi. I don't think trying to replace 1 ton/ 1.5ton pick ups makes much sense
- most folks use those to haul loads at distances that would be challenging in an electric vehicle.

An electric powertrain might work great for garbage trucks/bobtail rigs as well.

I wonder if the coming Tesla cyberpunk ‘Blade Runner’ truck wild be body-on-frame design or a unibody frame ?

I believe it would be more like the Model 3 chassis with strong metal beams and fully independent suspension.

I wonder if the coming Tesla cyberpunk ‘Blade Runner’ truck wild be body-on-frame design or a unibody frame ?

I believe it would be more like the Model 3 chassis with strong metal beams and fully independent suspension.
If it’s on the 3 “sled” I won’t get it.

I hope the battery pack is the frame as its stronger than most body on frame platforms in conventional vehicles and it would benefit from a low center of gravity.

I just hope the don’t F it up like they did on the “SUV” X. My wife and wanted to get one so bad until we saw it in person, still hasn’t grown on me.

Last edited:
Different culture, I think. I grew up in the TX Hill Country, so most of the oil men I knew were owners/retired lead fellows. They, and the oil men I knew in Houston, all seemed to drive diesel F-250 4x4 crew cabs.

Its not that, most, of them actually were going into the field any time soon - but they all wanted to drive a vehicle which looked like it could/would actually be somewhat useful.

Now, every commercial GC I know either drives a top end pick up, or a Land Cruiser or Range Rover. Mostly, top end pick ups. (Hence the ads about work space features in high end trucks.)

In California most of the oil fields are large oil company operations, so the only vehicles on site are those of large fleets owned by the company and tend to be fairly generic. For personal vehicles most of the oil people have some sort of truck. My sister is unusual, her daily driver is a Ford Fusion, but she has a 1 ton pickup for when she needs to haul. She's also had horses for 30 years and lives on acreage.

Should be less than 7 weeks to unveil. <4 weeks to when we have a date for the event.
I would agree that Tesla needs to say something about the Tesla truck at the quarterly earnings, if that is what you are referring to in 4 weeks.

Not sure where you got the 7 weeks from though ? I thought that they only said sometime this year for a reveal on the truck.