Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Plug in Wall Charging Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently 50A 240V plugs were installed with 8ga wire and 40A breakers in parts of Canada. The Gen1 would draw 40A and sometimes start a fire. I read somewhere that Canada banned Tesla sales for a while because of this. No fault of Tesla's. By offering a cord that will do 32A maximum (80% of 40A) it is safe to use in those places in Canada. Can't verify this but it is what I remember reading.
That is not just in Canada. That is an allowed installation in the U.S. too, but the official crackdown was harder in Canada, as you mentioned. They even re-issued modified "Canadian" 14-50 and 6-50 UMC adapters for the original Gen1 UMC that would only provide 32A to try to satisfy the regulators, and some owners were a little pissed off when they went for an annual service, and the service center replaced the 14-50 adapters in their bag without asking because they felt they had to. So yeah, that's why I think they decided to just solve it by making the new Gen2 UMC max at only 32A.