Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla production line was ‘sabotaged’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, yeah. Since that’s not what he said and what he did say you’ve taken out of context. So thanks but no thanks for your own personal spin of what he said.

They also poured the concrete & built the whole assembly line using scrap we had in warehouses. And it’s way better than the other GA line that cost hundreds of millions!
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 19, 2018

So what is being taken out of context again?

They also poured the concrete & built the whole assembly line using scrap we had in warehouses. And it’s way better than the other GA line that cost hundreds of millions!

“Way better” can mean a ton of different things. It could mean way cheaper (obv true). It could mean constructed way faster (obv true).

BTW, you gotta realize this is a GA line. Everyone is so conditioned to see robots everywhere, but GA lines ares where the humans do most of the work (fitting finicky wiring harnesses, snapping in interior body panels, etc), so the line doesn’t need to be and isn’t high tech.

Reactions: adaptabl

"way better than the other GA line" does not equal "superior to a traditional factory". It just means that they took what they learned in building, and operating, the prior GA lines and made a better version this time. That could be in a tent, open air, or in a traditional factory.

It makes me wonder if Line 3 starts with special base units, and now is being used to upfit them to P3D spec, hence more need for rapid deployment and less need for all-weather permanence, humidity and climate control.

Automated measuring, painting, and welding are sensitive to temperature and humidity, and even the light level as it applies automated optical sensor edge-detection and painting QC.

I could be wrong, I haven't seen the travelers for Line 3 nor the systems in use. For assy, this would probably be fine.

• Funny
Reactions: PeterK
It makes me wonder if Line 3 starts with special base units, and now is being used to upfit them to P3D spec, hence more need for rapid deployment and less need for all-weather permanence, humidity and climate control.

Automated measuring, painting, and welding are sensitive to temperature and humidity, and even the light level as it applies automated optical sensor edge-detection and painting QC.

I could be wrong, I haven't seen the travelers for Line 3 nor the systems in use. For assy, this would probably be fine.

Cars are fully welded and painted before getting to this line with doors removed for their own assembly. From Twitter video they are towed out on carrier frames.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Not sure we actually need a building. This tent is pretty sweet. Tesla Grohmann line is in place at Giga & spooling up now. They super kicked ass too. Heiliger Strohsack!

As he's expressing doubt he even needs to build an actual building, it sure seems like his take is the "tents" are superior to the regular factory/GA line.

I mean I know it's all just spin to get ahead of the news outlets that would otherwise speculate about the new temp assembly line as a desperate attempt to meet production goals by whatever means necessary, but his tweets are anything but nebulous: he thinks the tents are superior.

Not sure we actually need a building. This tent is pretty sweet. Tesla Grohmann line is in place at Giga & spooling up now. They super kicked ass too. Heiliger Strohsack!

As he's expressing doubt he even needs to build an actual building, it sure seems like his take is the "tents" are superior to the regular factory/GA line.

I mean I know it's all just spin to get ahead of the news outlets that would otherwise speculate about the new temp assembly line as a desperate attempt to meet production goals by whatever means necessary, but his tweets are anything but nebulous: he thinks the tents are superior.

Two different items:
Elon thinks the tent is "sweet" and may be able to replace typical buildings.

Elon thinks the new line is "way better" than the other lines.

What is your basis for thinking the opposite of either opinion? It provides faster setup, lower cost, and improved natural lighting.

The spin on the tents being superior to a traditional factory made me laugh. I mean come on Elon.

One news source reported that Tesla has made 6000 Model 3 as of June 19. So Tesla may be running at a rate of 10,000.
I highly doubt the 10k. This was never a goal for June or a requirement for suppliers. Back in April he sent email
As part of the drive towards 6k, all Model 3 production at Fremont will move to 24/7 operations. This means that we will be adding another shift to general assembly, body and paint.
And
Another set of upgrades starting in late May should be enough to unlock production capacity of 6000 Model 3 vehicles per week by the end of June. Please note that all areas of Tesla and our suppliers will be required to demonstrate a Model 3 capacity of ~6000/week by building 850 sets of car parts in 24 hours no later than June 30th.

Employee sued in Nevada: Tesla sues former employee for allegedly stealing gigabytes of data, making false claims to media

So this likely means that the sabotage was done at the Gigafactory, not at the Fremont plant.
Yeah GF employee

Some interesting bits:

Tripp also made false claims to the media about the information he stole. For example, Tripp claimed that punctured battery cells had been used in certain Model 3 vehicles even though no punctured cells were ever used in vehicles, batteries or otherwise. Tripp also vastly exaggerated the true amount and value of “scrap” material that Tesla generated during the manufacturing process, and falsely claimed that Tesla was delayed in bringing new manufacturing equipment online.

Tesla requests that the Court take affirmative action to protect its trade secrets, as set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 1836(b)(3)(A)(ii), including by ordering the inspection of Tripp’s computers, personal USB and electronic storage devices, email accounts, “cloud”-based storage accounts, and mobile phone call and message history to determine the extent to which Tesla trade secrets were wrongfully taken and/or disseminated to others.

Well considering that Elon answered a question about this on the investors call and said that the plant runs 24x7, I think you got wrong information from somewhere.

Just because the plant runs 24/7 doesn't mean there are 3 shifts running. Each segment of the process (stamping, assembly, paint, QC, final assembly, etc) may run at different times per day, but not necessarily multiple shifts per segment.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl