Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla PW2 installation Double-billing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bkp_duke

May 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
Anyone else had a referral award PW2 installed and then had Telsa send you a bill for that (and in my case more) afterwards?

For clarification:
1) we had 3 x PW2s installed back in 2018, and paid for those and received an SGIP rebate from CA for them
2) I purchased from another forum member in the Spring of 2020 a red referral PW2 (and signed the W-9 for it).
3) Installation was negotiated with Tesla, and signed in a contract to be $0.00 (because we pre-wired for a 4th PW2 previously, and Tesla was going to keep the 2nd gateway, which was part of the award).

Just a few minutes ago, I got an invoice from Tesla for $26,823.08 . . .
(see attached image)

The lack of organization of this company is baffling.

Tesla mis-billing.jpg

Last edited:
Lol.. looks like they are trying to bill you your 4 powerwalls, or, got your install crossed with someone elses...

To answer your thread question, I havent seen that or read it here either. Very strange. Would be aggravating for sure.

Lol.. looks like they are trying to bill you your 4 powerwalls, or, got your install crossed with someone elses...

To answer your thread question, I havent seen that or read it here either. Very strange. Would be aggravating for sure.

Yeah my BP is about 30pts above normal right.

After 30 min on hold I got a billing rep . . . and she was pretty much worthless.
Transferred to sales dept . . . and they were even LESS helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yeah my BP is about 30pts above normal right.

After 30 min on hold I got a billing rep . . . and she was pretty much worthless.
Transferred to sales dept . . . and they were even LESS helpful.

I hope this isnt "too" bad for you to get corrected, but it never should have happened at all. I just spent all morning getting bounced around with Met Life. I had AAA insurance for years, but they (AAA) raised both my auto and home insurance every year, and this past year basically told me that they were no longer going to offer me the guaranteed replacement home insurance i had. that was the only reason I kept them.

I started shopping around and the company I work for has met life as one of the insurance companies we get a discount with. After doing my do diligance on pricing etc decided to switch... and basically every rate the sales rep gave me (home, auto, umbrella) has changed due to "mistakes" the sales rep seems to have made in the quote.

Of course, by that time I had already swapped everything, canceled AAA, etc.

I waited several days before calling because I didnt want to @#$!@$$@ out the people on the phone, who had no real part in all that.

Sigh, it shouldnt be so hard to to buy some of this stuff, and have people bill you what they agree to bill you (which was my point in my rambling story).

Hopefully it works out without too much issue. I am confident you will get it sorted, but less confident that it will be "easy"

I hope this isnt "too" bad for you to get corrected, but it never should have happened at all. I just spent all morning getting bounced around with Met Life. I had AAA insurance for years, but they (AAA) raised both my auto and home insurance every year, and this past year basically told me that they were no longer going to offer me the guaranteed replacement home insurance i had. that was the only reason I kept them.

I started shopping around and the company I work for has met life as one of the insurance companies we get a discount with. After doing my do diligance on pricing etc decided to switch... and basically every rate the sales rep gave me (home, auto, umbrella) has changed due to "mistakes" the sales rep seems to have made in the quote.

Of course, by that time I had already swapped everything, canceled AAA, etc.

I waited several days before calling because I didnt want to @#$!@$$@ out the people on the phone, who had no real part in all that.

Sigh, it shouldnt be so hard to to buy some of this stuff, and have people bill you what they agree to bill you (which was my point in my rambling story).

Hopefully it works out without too much issue. I am confident you will get it sorted, but less confident that it will be "easy"

Insurance . . . I rate those companies a few steps below used car dealers in terms of integrity. Good luck, I really feel your pain

On a positive note, I had a great Tesla Energy advisor, and I've already sent him the invoice, my old invoices, and a copy of the Contract for the 4th PW showing $0.00 on every line. He has already replied and said it's an obvious screw up on their part and he will escalate it to his bosses to clean up.

Still . . . until I have it in writing that I owe nothing I probably won't sleep well. :(

Anyone else had a referral award PW2 installed and then had Telsa send you a bill for that (and in my case more) afterwards?

For clarification:
1) we had 3 x PW2s installed back in 2018, and paid for those and received an SGIP rebate from CA for them
2) I purchased from another forum member in the Spring of 2020 a red referral PW2 (and signed the W-9 for it).
3) Installation was negotiated with Tesla, and signed in a contract to be $0.00 (because we pre-wired for a 4th PW2 previously, and Tesla was going to keep the 2nd gateway, which was part of the award).

Just a few minutes ago, I got an invoice from Tesla for $26,823.08 . . .
(see attached image)

The lack of organization of this company is baffling.

View attachment 590687

How else is Elon going to pay for his new rocket ship? ;)

Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
HA HA HA

I guess Tesla needs to beef up their billing coding a bit.

My rep got back to me and reports that because my installation for the 4th PW2 was $0.00 it didn't trigger an invoice to be properly generated. This caused a rep to go in an manually (mis) bill the account.

Waiting on some kind of official document to verify I have a $0.00 account balance.

HA HA HA

I guess Tesla needs to beef up their billing coding a bit.

My rep got back to me and reports that because my installation for the 4th PW2 was $0.00 it didn't trigger an invoice to be properly generated. This caused a rep to go in an manually (mis) bill the account.

Waiting on some kind of official document to verify I have a $0.00 account balance.

What I got out of that is, confirmation you have a really good tesla rep :)

I never thought this was an issue because you had the initial contract for $0.00 in writing.

I've had $0 contracts mis-billed by large companies before.

My greatest fear was not being able to find someone to properly deal with issue, and a "billing drone" not properly sorting this out, me refusing to pay, and then said drone sending this to collections.

Given how the left hand never knows what the right is doing at Tesla, that is well within the realm of possible.

I've had $0 contracts mis-billed by large companies before.

My greatest fear was not being able to find someone to properly deal with issue, and a "billing drone" not properly sorting this out, me refusing to pay, and then said drone sending this to collections.

Given how the left hand never knows what the right is doing at Tesla, that is well within the realm of possible.

Totally... could have seen what you describe above happening, for sure. Much smaller scale, but in my past I had almost that exact scenario play out over a cable company charging me for a cable box I returned when I moved from one rental to another, and out of their area.

I returned the box to the store, in person, their computer was down, they gave me a manual receipt. I went away. 6-7 months later I got a bill from them for a cable box (at the inflated rates they charge for that), along with late fees tacked onto "my account" for not paying for the cable box. Sent in the copy of the receipt I had (which was faded because it was on manual triplicate paper... remember computers were down).

I was assured someone would handle it. 4-5 months later, repeat the above, with a threat to send me to collections if I dont pay. I sent the receipt copy (now almost completely faded)...3-4 months later call from a collections company for like triple the amount. I refused to pay, sent receipt etc....

A couple years go by, and I apply for a loan to buy my first home. During underwriting, this debt comes up and the bank tells me they need proof its paid off in order to proceed with my loan. I was so mad at that point, but wanted the house, and didnt want to not get the loan because of that stupid debt which I didnt owe... but I did. That cable box ended up costing me like $900. I had swore I would never, ever, ever do business with that cable company again (time warner cable, who later became spectrum... who I will never in my life give one more penny to).

This was like 20 years ago, but if I took my bloodpressure right now I am SURE its elevated from even remembering it.... rofl

Totally... could have seen what you describe above happening, for sure. Much smaller scale, but in my past I had almost that exact scenario play out over a cable company charging me for a cable box I returned when I moved from one rental to another, and out of their area.

I returned the box to the store, in person, their computer was down, they gave me a manual receipt. I went away. 6-7 months later I got a bill from them for a cable box (at the inflated rates they charge for that), along with late fees tacked onto "my account" for not paying for the cable box. Sent in the copy of the receipt I had (which was faded because it was on manual triplicate paper... remember computers were down).

I was assured someone would handle it. 4-5 months later, repeat the above, with a threat to send me to collections if I dont pay. I sent the receipt copy (now almost completely faded)...3-4 months later call from a collections company for like triple the amount. I refused to pay, sent receipt etc....

A couple years go by, and I apply for a loan to buy my first home. During underwriting, this debt comes up and the bank tells me they need proof its paid off in order to proceed with my loan. I was so mad at that point, but wanted the house, and didnt want to not get the loan because of that stupid debt which I didnt owe... but I did. That cable box ended up costing me like $900. I had swore I would never, ever, ever do business with that cable company again (time warner cable, who later became spectrum... who I will never in my life give one more penny to).

This was like 20 years ago, but if I took my bloodpressure right now I am SURE its elevated from even remembering it.... rofl

Exactly. For this reason, I've become a "digital packrat". I keep a copy of just about any important receipt on my home server . . . a backup at the secondary server at my parent's house . . . and a tertiary backup on a private Cloud server.

Needless to say, it's come in handy a few times (like this one).

"No sir. You are incorrect. Here are ALL the documents to prove it".

Now . . . if they would only pay me for my lost productivity time. . .

Exactly. For this reason, I've become a "digital packrat". I keep a copy of just about any important receipt on my home server . . . a backup at the secondary server at my parent's house . . . and a tertiary backup on a private Cloud server.

Needless to say, it's come in handy a few times (like this one).

"No sir. You are incorrect. Here are ALL the documents to prove it".

Now . . . if they would only pay me for my lost productivity time. . .

I do the same thing. Take a photo of any receipts for returned equipment or the like. Has saved my bacon a few times. Yes, I'm looking at you Spectrum!

• Love