Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla radically expands Early Access Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just should of had a better game plan here.

Making loyal customers feel taken advantage of is a PR nightmare...

I purchased back in 6/18.... EAP and FSD... I got it then because of the threat of charging me more after the fact.

This was not the fact... It was misleading....

I love my car and will continue to enjoy the car.... But don't make me feel as an early adopter that my investment spent then is going out to give free upgrades and perks to new owners because things changed..

It sends a bad message.... Basically, if you want a Tesla.... Don't pre-order..... wait.....

That message is very bad.... If that message had been clear before the Model 3 reservations, I hardly think Tesla would have seen the number of pre-orders or the number of sales for EAP or FSD.

I purchased back in 6/18.... EAP and FSD... I got it then because of the threat of charging me more after the fact.

I love my car and will continue to enjoy the car.... But don't make me feel as an early adopter that my investment spent then is going out to give free upgrades and perks to new owners because things changed..

It sends a bad message.... Basically, if you want a Tesla.... Don't pre-order..... wait.....

That message is very bad.... If that message had been clear before the Model 3 reservations, I hardly think Tesla would have seen the number of pre-orders or the number of sales for EAP or FSD.

Not only that, they also chunked away a major portion of the Model S/X value with the recent price-cuts.

When I bought my 12/2016 S60 the software upgrade to S75 was $6000 pre-purchase and $9000 afterwards. Within 6 months the $9000 dropped to $2000. There were tons of posts here from people who felt ripped off.

I understand your frustration but it’s not like purchasers should be shocked by this latest software price drop. I expected it as did many of us who have been here for a while, though it did annoy me that I bought EAP three months ago for $5500. Bad luck but that’s life. Some people here predicted EAP and FSD software upgrades would get more expensive. I didn’t think that made sense but realize no one knew which way prices would trend, probably not even Musk.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
The heart of the problem is not the price drops. It's that Tesla kept money on very incomplete or totally undelivered products. If you pre-order a product on Amazon and its price drops before delivery, they refund the difference. Very simple common sense. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept for some people to understand. Tesla took everyone's pre-order money for EAP or FSD and turned it into compulsory donations.

It doesn't seem to be that big a problem here, but when I look over at the Tesla reddit, I see hordes of apologists scrambling to explain why we are being unreasonable and should be happy to have donated to Tesla. Complete insanity.

Yes @BinaryField a very good point.

It is one thing to pay a larger price early and get to use the feature. This of course is normal with any new product — there is a price but also a benefit to early-adopting.

Quite another to pay a larger price early and then witness a major price cut before the feature is even delivered to you. There is only a price, no benefit...

This is why @azred ’s comparison is unfortunately not comparable. FSD is not delivered yet, the 75 kWh update was delivered.

Yes @BinaryField a very good point.

It is one thing to pay a larger price early and get to use the feature. This of course is normal with any new product — there is a price but also a benefit to early-adopting.

Quite another to pay a larger price early and then witness a major price cut before the feature is even delivered to you. There is only a price, no benefit...

This is why @azred ’s comparison is unfortunately not comparable. FSD is not delivered yet, the 75 kWh update was delivered.
Good point about the comparison. I was merely trying to point out that it was dubious to buy software assuming it would be more expensive later.

I still think it is questionable to buy FSD today at the lower price even if it may be closer to reality. Could it increase in price later? I suppose it's possible but it sure doesn't appear that it will trend up. At least the current purchase includes HW3 but who knows when that will be upgraded.

Last edited:
Hold on, wasn’t the old pricing:

Enhanced Autopilot: $5,000
Full Self-Driving: $3,000

And the new pricing is:

Autopilot: $3,000
Full Self-Driving: $5,000

So the full software cost $8,000 before, and it still costs $8,000. Right?

The 50% off discount is being given to people who might have wanted to get Navigate on Autopilot for $5,000, but it now costs $8,000. So instead they can pay $4,000 and get it. Right?

Am I wrong?

Hold on, wasn’t the old pricing:

Enhanced Autopilot: $5,000
Full Self-Driving: $3,000

And the new pricing is:

Autopilot: $3,000
Full Self-Driving: $5,000

So the full software cost $8,000 before, and it still costs $8,000. Right?

The 50% off discount is being given to people who might have wanted to get Navigate on Autopilot for $5,000, but it now costs $8,000. So instead they can pay $4,000 and get it. Right?

Am I wrong?

Here is the new pricing. $5,000 you have no package for FSD. $2,000 of you already have EAP

14AC4255-FBFC-4CCC-B971-6DB0EC2F5154.jpeg

So it’s a $1,000 discount if you already bought Enhanced Autopilot, and a $3,000 discount if you didn’t.

All software: $8,000 -> $5,000

Full Self-Driving only: $3,000 -> $2,000

You forget some people upgraded to FSD at $4000-$5000.

Basically the price for EAP+FSD dropped from $8000-$10000 already paid to $5000 to those paying now. Up to half the price without a single FSD feature delivered to those who paid early.

Of course percentual taxes like VAT etc or local pricing differences can mean the actual difference may be even higher for some.

Bought EAP+FSD with my car in 2018. No invite email yet.

They should just install HW3 on our cars so we can test early FSD stuff via Early Access.... That would have been an acceptable solution.

EAP & FSD purchased over 2 years ago on my S100D....I won't be holding my breath for the early access program...past performance for Tesla IS INDICATIVE based on almost 5 years of Tesla ownership and things like this seem to get lost in the trash, forgotten and then reneged. I affectionately refer to it as another #ElonLetDown

Reactions: pilotSteve
EAP & FSD purchased over 2 years ago on my S100D....I won't be holding my breath for the early access program...past performance for Tesla IS INDICATIVE based on almost 5 years of Tesla ownership and things like this seem to get lost in the trash, forgotten and then reneged. I affectionately refer to it as another #ElonLetDown

You'll most likely be able to add this to your list of letdowns as well: Elon tweets about FSD pricing: "If anyone already paid $3k, they should get $1k back." It definitely cost us S/X owners $3k when we pre-paid for it a couple years ago!

I am in the same boat. I purchased EAP + FSD with my Model 3D in December 2018. I paid $10,000 for both. Boy, should I have waited. In any case I contacted Tesla customer Service about the supposed "Invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program" and I got the run around. I wrote them again and no answer. We all have to sit and wait until they decide to give us more details, goodnesses knows when.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
I am in the same boat. I purchased EAP + FSD with my Model 3D in December 2018. I paid $10,000 for both. Boy, should I have waited. In any case I contacted Tesla customer Service about the supposed "Invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program" and I got the run around. I wrote them again and no answer. We all have to sit and wait until they decide to give us more details, goodnesses knows when.
You’re not alone.... some of us did the $8k or $10k in 2016. And unlike you we got AP2.0 which our expert tweakers doubt is even upgradable (and has already been left behind with zero acknowledgement for other features)

Let’s hope and see if they pull through soon.

Reactions: BlueRocket
AP2 owners that paid for FSD would have to do a class action if they don't get retrofitted the necessary hardware. Some people even bought a Tesla exclusively based on FSD promises.

Count me in that group. I had a perfectly good S85D with AP1 that I traded in. Didn't even have AP capabilities on my new S100S for months. Other than a little more range, it has been a serious of disappointments upgrading so early....