Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The .2 and .3 appear to be minor bug fixes; for all we know, there'll be a .4 along at this rate.
@Mardak pointed out that these incremental point releases may be simply a progression of expansion to various models and hardware car versions. This makes sense based on the which cars are associated with each new point-release rollout.

This is no way implies that Tesla is incapable of releasing with bugs that need to be subsequently fixed. It's just that the pattern and the rapidity of the release increments suggests that it's associated with different historical hardware configurations.

The original 12V battery on my 2016 started going about 2 years in. Tesla wrongfully informed me that it wasn't covered by the warranty so I went out and bought a Li-Ion replacement from Ohmmu. It's lasted 5 years with no issues.
12V LFP Batteries for Tesla and EVs | Ohmmu | United States

When I was waiting for the new battery an update came along and I had to keep dismissing the message for a week. The car won't do an update with a failing 12V battery because it could brick up the MCU if the battery fails during the update.

When he stayed in his area of expertise: tech, he was a lot less controversial. Some of his announcements were out ahead of his skis. The promises of AP has been one of those. The realities of full self driving have turned out to be a far more difficult problem than he originally thought.

Over the last few years he has decided he's an expert on everything and he's talking like Cliff Clavin (from Cheers) at the end of the bar on most subjects. Some of the things he's saying now are very wrong to the point of being outright dangerous. They run counter to expertise on public health and threaten the stability of the political system. He is spreading information that is factually untrue.
Like what? Wait what thread is this?

When he stayed in his area of expertise: tech, he was a lot less controversial.
Yeah, that’s certainly true.

I guess to me, the thing is, I really do believe he’s a genius. I get that he says a lot of crazy things. But the things he has accomplished are truly remarkable, and we can’t just dismiss him altogether. And I do think the media reports negatively on everything about him now, which isn’t justified.

I guess to me, the thing is, I really do believe he’s a genius. I get that he says a lot of crazy things. But the things he has accomplished are truly remarkable, and we can’t just dismiss him altogether. And I do think the media reports negatively on everything about him now, which isn’t justified.
I personally don't subscribe to the "great man" theory. But yeah, I don't think anyone here is going argue that he isn't intelligent and a factor in "accelerating us towards an electric future".

But he's just a person. And as a person he has done and said some things that I find confusing, reckless, and abhorrent.

I get that no one is perfect, but with a century of hindsight into industrialists, we should expect better than the pettiness, lies and frustration we've seen from the current CEO.

I personally don't subscribe to the "great man" theory. But yeah, I don't think anyone here is going argue that he isn't intelligent and a factor in "accelerating us towards an electric future".

But he's just a person. And as a person he has done and said some things that I find confusing, reckless, and abhorrent.

I get that no one is perfect, but with a century of hindsight into industrialists, we should expect better than the pettiness, lies and frustration we've seen from the current CEO.
You can't please everyone. I'm sure you're probably a much better person than Elon. Although you aren't able to stay on topic very well.

You must admit. EM gives the media a lot of ammo.

While I do understand what you’re saying, and it isn’t untrue…the rest of that story is that he can’t keep his mouth shut *and* the media doesn’t like what comes out of his mouth. None of them had a problem with him when he was perceived to be on the left. Now that he’s perceived as being on the right, all of a sudden they can’t stop reporting negatively on him. As a centrist, I find this repugnant.
Well he didn’t let white supremacists and nazis back on Twitter back then. Or insult Jewish people. So yeah there’s a difference. There’s no perception. He’s telling us who he is.

fishy21 said:
So is it confirmed that the in cabin camera is required now for autopilot (non-FSDb)?
No. It will give strikes if abuse is perceived. Too many and you get an AP timeout for a week.

KArnold, I'm not sure this answers the question. We understand that now regular AutoPilot is subject to the 5-strike rule, just like FSDb has been for a while. But can anyone confirm if we are now *required* to use the cabin camera for regular AP, which is the case with FSDb? I have a camera cover and need to remove it if I want to use FSDb. But if I just want regular AP, I can still have it covered. I cover it for privacy reasons but also, and mostly, because with it uncovered I can barely adjust the HVAC temp or select a podcast or radio station without getting a disengagement.

KArnold, I'm not sure this answers the question. We understand that now regular AutoPilot is subject to the 5-strike rule, just like FSDb has been for a while. But can anyone confirm if we are now *required* to use the cabin camera for regular AP, which is the case with FSDb? I have a camera cover and need to remove it if I want to use FSDb. But if I just want regular AP, I can still have it covered. I cover it for privacy reasons but also, and mostly, because with it uncovered I can barely adjust the HVAC temp or select a podcast or radio station without getting a disengagement.
THIS!

Not trying to circumvent the camera, but when I had FSDb, I was warned each time I had to go to the screen to adjust fans, wipers, maps, etc. So I stopped using FSDb.

So I hope the camera doesn't monitor you for basic AP. Otherwise, you're telling me it's safer to turn off AP so I can adjust the HVAC or wipers? It would be a big disappointment.

*update* I just got the update this morning. I'll report back in 3-4 hours after I test it.

THIS!

Not trying to circumvent the camera, but when I had FSDb, I was warned each time I had to go to the screen to adjust fans, wipers, maps, etc. So I stopped using FSDb.

So I hope the camera doesn't monitor you for basic AP. Otherwise, you're telling me it's safer to turn off AP so I can adjust the HVAC or wipers? It would be a big disappointment.

*update* I just got the update this morning. I'll report back in 3-4 hours after I test it.
Hot damn! Please test ASAP! What version did you get?

This must be limited to certain vehicles. My '23 MY's auto wipers work as expected 99.999% of the time.
Sorry keep this off topic thread going, but you're the exception, not the rule. In 3 Teslas, 2 different models and made years apart, the auto-wipers have been all but unusable for me (and my other friends who have Teslas reported the same). It should have been illegal for Tesla to remove the stalk and bury the controls in the touch screen

Reactions: navguy12