Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla refusing to invoice insurance company for repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a cracked windscreen repaired by Tesla today and the insurance company gave me a repair authority form to give to Tesla so they can pay them directly without me playing bank. Tesla Alexandria flat out refused to deal with that, claiming they, as a company, don't do that. Customer pays, and gets reimbursed by insurance company.

Has anyone else had the same or a different experience?

Just had a cracked windscreen repaired by Tesla today and the insurance company gave me a repair authority form to give to Tesla so they can pay them directly without me playing bank. Tesla Alexandria flat out refused to deal with that, claiming they, as a company, don't do that. Customer pays, and gets reimbursed by insurance company.

Has anyone else had the same or a different experience?
Yes on the tesla but not with tesla. I had to pay my small panel shop and then my detailer direct. Reimbursement was quick. I declare my coating so that it is covered in any repair costs.

Has anyone else had the same

Yes, I replaced my windshield in my model 3 (in the US) and had the same experience. I had to pay via credit card and get reimbursed. I know this is the Australia subforum, but came across this thread while I was looking around the site and thought I would let the OP know that its also that way here in the US.

Thanks all - good to hear they're consistent on that front. And worldwide it seems. A stark departure from the cracked rim situation where some seemed to get them replaced on warranty whereas this silly man paid for three replacement 21" rims, and then a full complement of 19" rims... all at full price.

Most insurance companies want a cut-rate well under retail
Exactly,
Insurers will only pay according to a schedule fee which they think is appropriate, and if the repairer bills the insurer direct and is more than the insurer schedule, they may not get 100% of the invoice.
Also insurers will get the owner to take a vehicle to an "Assessment Centre" where they take pictures and invite bids. And the lowest bidder gets the job.