Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases big, new software update with Disney+, Car Wash Mode, remain connected to wifi, and more - 2021.24.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I have a pretty good understanding of how everything on this car works, except software updates! Is there any system or pattern to who gets what version, and when? I have a friend locally, with a model 3 that has 2021.24, but our newer car does not. Does anyone understand how this works?
...And why would a brand new car be delivered without the latest and greatest software version, especially when that version was available before the car was ordered?

...And why would a brand new car be delivered without the latest and greatest software version, especially when that version was available before the car was ordered?
There are a few reasons some are very legitimate some are speculation. Legitimate reason - with the pandemic, there is a major supply chain problem across all markets of things. From computers, to wood, to car parts. Tesla was making up for this using parts from different suppliers. The software support for these different parts is the running consensus on why the software is so wonky right now. They are slowly getting pandemic cars back on track with normal updates by writing the software to support these different parts. Speculation - there is some theories that there is a software "blackout period" after delivery where even if a software update is available it wont be pushed to your car for 2-6 weeks so that you are on a "more stable" factory firmware they know works.

Now what do I think? I really think it is a mixture of a lot of things. Not enough coders, not enough testers, different parts suppliers, blackout period etc. It could even be the fact that they have most of their software side working on the holiday update and are saving bringing most of the newer part of the fleet into the mainstream updates when they release that since they are working hard on it anyways

TL;DR: No one knows

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Yeah, we don't know for sure. Some plausible reasons could include: special builds for new cars that include extra telemetry to look for new-car issues, special builds for hardware calibration in the first few weeks, just staying conservative on the software for the first few weeks by using a known-good build, etc.

Yeah, we don't know for sure. Some plausible reasons could include: special builds for new cars that include extra telemetry to look for new-car issues, special builds for hardware calibration in the first few weeks, just staying conservative on the software for the first few weeks by using a known-good build, etc.
Thanks! We have a service scheduled to install homelink, so I'll pick the technician's brain and see if he has any inside info that I can pass along to ya'll. We really do love the car. No regrets at all!

I've never complained about the paint, but...two things:

1) Not automated. The issue here in New York is that our Hand Wash places have the driver exit the car and then a belt rolls the car through as real live humans wash the car at various stations. This reqiures the attendant at the car wash to know how to engage Tow Mode after the car is placed on the conveyor. It's very rare that they have a clue.

2) You live in California. You can wash your car at home all year round. Try doing that in the middle winter when it's snowing, 30 degrees and there's salt/sand stuck to your car that needs to be removed.
...Except that we have no water, and the water nazis won't hesitate to turn you in.

Exactly. People seriously have nothing better to do than complain about features that they didn’t receive instead of focusing on the free improvements that they will receive this time around. Similarly, you have all the anti-Tesla folks commenting on social media that car wash mode is being implemented to fix poor engineering, Disney Plus is a gimmick, etc.

Exactly. People seriously have nothing better to do than complain about features that they didn’t receive instead of focusing on the free improvements that they will receive this time around. Similarly, you have all the anti-Tesla folks commenting on social media that car wash mode is being implemented to fix poor engineering, Disney Plus is a gimmick, etc.
Thanks to YouTube, other social media, and forums like this, everyone knows what new updates are out there. I think most of the complaints are due to the lack of communication by Tesla and lack of understanding of how updates are rolled out. When your neighbor got the latest update and you didn't, it raises questions.

That's brutal
Our best, and only touchless wash won't let you stay in the car and I'm not sure I trust the others. The waterless wash I tried worked very well, but it's only good for removing dust and light bugs, not for heavy grime. When the car is shiny and new is when you most want to keep it washed and looking good. I can wash it myself, but we are in a drought, so we definitely want to minimize driveway washing. How do ya'll keep your Teslas clean and looking good?