Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases video showing full autonomy in real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw the video the only thing in my mind at the end is if Tesla is willing to assume full liability if something happens in full auto mode regardless if there is a driver in the vehicle at the time?

That was the first journalist's question after the announcement. Elon said "No", but hedged slightly saying they would take responsibility for issues with their technology.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
The video showed that it was a "learning driver". I would like to see a video every day week from now on showing how it learns over the next two months.

Should we be concerned that at 2:24 the car drove into the wrong lane?
I'm concerned that it looks at lanes the same way I do: "Why'd they put that there?"

I got the impression that I feel like they ought to take the AI neural net to advanced driving school; there are all sorts of truck driving techniques I learned in truck driving school that would have helped it target lanes better (I went to DMACC in Iowa). But, that's almost backwards: you pull a truck out straight more (you're not supposed to swing out (left for a right turn) in preparation except to the extent you absolutely have to, and only at the latest moment possible if you have to do any at all; normally, you drive straight out), which is kind of what the Model X was doing too much of wrong. The not-backwards part about truck driving is that you target the rear wheels to end up in the lane so that you can swing around the front wheels (that steer) into the lane. For multi-vehicle combined vehicles, same principle, only more advanced.

This is exciting! I will like to see the advancements in this thing.

Last edited:
Elon " frankly it's been quite disturbing to me the degree of coverage for AP crashes and it does not reflect well upon the media, if you write an article negative toward autonomous vehicles you are effectively persuading people not to use it, you are killing people" then the room went silent :)

The video: I was blown away! We all thought 2.0 was being advanced but this is nuts! This is a car now 10-15 years in the future. Not the 7 Hochholdinger mentioned.

(Of course dont want to blame the driver who parked the car right side, he/she is just a human, in the end :D).
I'm fairly confident the placement of the car you've labelled "human parked" was really "human parked intentionally this way" for the video. It immediately and visually removes some follow-up questions and naysaying "is it just following the lines? what if someone parked badly ..." etc.

It would be interesting to know, how many takes it took to make that video. Software can't be that ready. Otherwise allways overlyoptimistic Elon would not say, that full autonomy is ready in 2018...
Could be that it didn't have any errors during the drive because it's a well-known route that they've covered many times. Still accurate but not necessarily proven for all circumstances in all places.

I'm fairly confident the placement of the car you've labelled "human parked" was really "human parked intentionally this way" for the video. It immediately and visually removes some follow-up questions and naysaying "is it just following the lines? what if someone parked badly ..." etc.

It may be the reason of delay actually. Making a movie of a learning machine can be as difficult as filming an animal starring in a movie. If it decides to park to an unwanted gap, skips the fixed camera. Then Retake the scene, etc.. Not as easy as it seems... :) (unless you switch to 'slave' mode )

Reactions: Ulmo
More Elon tweet about the video:
When searching for parking, the car reads the signs to see if it is allowed to park there, which is why it skipped the disabled spot

When you want your car to return, tap Summon on your phone. It will eventually find you even if you are on the other side of the country

And if the car gets it wrong, it has a break out of towing yard mode (with missiles to break open the chained gates) and Tesla covers the ticket? ;)

All very nice in a controlled demo with a guy holding his hands almost grabbing the wheel from time to time (possibly did, video was edited). Getting it to work in real world, the other 90% of the work. Then there is liability, who is liable if the car causes damage or kill someone with no driver inside? If Tesla takes this on, they may go bankrupt paying for every bug or unforeseen circumstance that the car finds. Don't get me wrong, it's impressive what Tesla has done, just not "just around the corner" for all of us. I'll seriously consider buying a new Tesla up when it drives itself to my house from Freemont without a driver inside, until then, happy with my car. :)

After watching video again (for at least 10th time lol), have an observation. Do we think the interior camera angle was purposely such that the steering wheel obscures the speedometer reading? Or is that just a mere coincidence?

Makes me wonder. Trying to get general sense of driving speeds. Was it driving like grandma going to Sunday church putting along or was it driving relatively close to what the average person would do? With the sped up playback, can't tell. Only spot where can see speed is 3mph when it is the parking lot.