Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Remotely Software Limits Battery Years (and Multiple Owners) After a Warranty Swap Was Done (resolved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread kind of blew up on Twitter...

Some had reported that Tesla does make mistakes that can be to owners' advantage, such as mistakenly free FSD when the owner didn't buy anything other than the included standard Autopilot.

Eventually, when Tesla discovers its mistakes, can't it correct them by demanding the current owner pay for the functional FSD that was never paid?

Same hypothetical example: I dropped off a $1,000 camera with its fixed lens for free warranty service. When I picked it up, the receipt showed clearly that I now have an expensive zoom lens with its serial number. It's a mistake because that zoom lens alone costs $3,000!

Can't the store legally demand it back because, in its audit, the receiving receipt shows that I turned in a camera with a cheap fixed lens with its serial number and not the expensive one?

Banks make mistakes sometimes, and some people get deposits they do not own.

Same hypothetical example: I dropped off a $1,000 camera with its fixed lens for free warranty service. When I picked it up, the receipt showed clearly that I now have an expensive zoom lens with its serial number. It's a mistake because that zoom lens alone costs $3,000!

Can't the store legally demand it back because, in its audit, the receiving receipt shows that I turned in a camera with a cheap fixed lens with its serial number and not the expensive one?

Once it leaves the store, pretty sure all they can do is ask nicely. They can't come to your house and swap your lens without your permission.

This is why companies have employee error insurance the the like.

Banks make mistakes sometimes, and some people get deposits they do not own.
Banks have a whole different set of laws/rules. In fact, there are statutes that allow you to keep a bank error in your favor if it's not corrected within a specific period of time.

Some had reported that Tesla does make mistakes that can be to owners' advantage, such as mistakenly free FSD when the owner didn't buy anything other than the included standard Autopilot.

Eventually, when Tesla discovers its mistakes, can't it correct them by demanding the current owner pay for the functional FSD that was never paid?

I've heard of them doing this, but I think this is shady also. If they sell the car to someone, and it has features XYZ, they shouldn't later be like "SIKE" and take away X and Z remotely without permission.

This is especially problematic when dealing with third party sales, as the second owner has no privity with Tesla, and thus Tesla has no rights to mess with this person's property.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Isnt this the same thing that @geordi has been posting here in multiple threads (exact same story) with statements of "Im a journalist" and threats of a social media $%@$%@ storm?

My answer is and will remain: I love the car, I hate the company. If the company wants to TRY and unscrew this (since I know they read this forum) - Find the Twitter message to Elon and Tesla from Gator Audio and CONTACT ME. I'm a journalist. You REALLY don't want me this pissed off

Are you sure that your customer isnt just using you for their social media storm, in other words? I guess "used" is a better verb instead of "using".

BTW, if this is the same person, reading the link to your twitter feed, it appears you are saying the person didnt know they had a 60, but if its the same person, their posts here say otherwise. Both of these posts below were made here before they started complaining about tesla "fixing the mistake", so they absolutely knew they had a "60 that was upgraded to a 90, with 90 range, but was supposed to be a 60".

Hmm.... I've got a 60 that has been upgraded to the 90 battery, and have full access to the range but the branding still says 60. If they change that to the other branding option, any idea if that would show up? I've got the air suspension already.

I've been on a road trip with my 2014 S60/90.... It has a brand new battery that was installed about 5 weeks ago now but the computer still thinks (branding) that it is a 60 even though I have full access to the range. Fully charged is 295 miles. My first leg of this trip was 217 miles, and I was at 10% at the end.... BUT it was all highway high speed and 95 degrees out. Average was (IIRC) 320wh/mi.

The rest of this trip has been between 290 (in the bottom end of South Carolina where people can't figure out passing a truck and just pace FOREVER at 65mph) to 310 or so as the temperatures have moderated slightly further North. I've also had a kitty with me so using the PET mode every time I stop and camp mode overnight while not plugged in. If those two non-driving uses affect the watts per MILE math, that's a silly thing. I'd stay plugged in overnight if there wasn't the risk of idle fees (which are not well documented as I've seen so far) so I just top up in the morning from the free supercharger and set off. Haven't been fully charging it since leaving home though, there's no real need to charge above 80.

Whether its "right" or not for it to have been removed I dont have a ton of opinion on... but I would normally err toward the side of the owner for something like this. With that being said, if its the same person, they have been parachuting into various threads, and threatening social media shaming etc, and I am not a fan of that personally, so it makes me less sympathetic.

I should also probably say that I am not commenting as a moderator here, nor am I representing TMC, TMC moderators, or even "jjrandorin the moderator". This post (and my previous one in this thread) is simply an opinion from "jjrandorin the regular poster".

Last edited:
Tesla may have had no choice but to upgrade the battery pack since a 60 may not have been available. If it was a good will upgrade then I can see him winning a court case against Tesla. They installed a 90 under warranty, they knew what they were doing

Reactions: Rocky_H
BTW, if this is the same person, reading the link to your twitter feed, it appears you are saying the person didnt know they had a 60, but if its the same person, their posts here say otherwise. Both of these posts below were made here before they started complaining about tesla "fixing the mistake", so they absolutely knew they had a "60 that was upgraded to a 90, with 90 range, but was supposed to be a 60".
The stories don't line up. WK057 says that for his customer the battery was replaced years ago. For Geordi they say that the battery was replaced about two months ago.

So this may be another case of Tesla deciding to do an audit on battery replacements and there are multiple people having essentially the same experience right now.

That makes this even worse then (worse from tesla's side) as it appears as less of a "one off" situation and more of a "try to take advantage" one, for both @geordi and your customer. In any case, thanks for the response.
Sadly true. It's definitely not an isolated thing.

This seems to have a lot to do with current staff trying to do theirs jobs with current policies that they don't realize don't necessarily apply to customers and vehicles from before their tenure.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Russell
Sorry for not seeing this until now - I've been working outside all day. No clue who that twitter feed is about, that's not me. Mine is a 2014 model S, was replaced under warranty by a service center back in March to May (they had it 2 months apparently) of 2022 while it was between owners - and owned by a third party dealer, and I purchased the car mid May 2022. Been driving around on that battery at full range of 295 miles (only charged to 100% twice to see where I got to) until July 15th.

As for the current status, I received a message today that indicates that things may be getting resolved soon - which has been my only goal for this. I'm not looking for "free" services for an out of warranty vehicle, I have no problem paying for repairs when needed. What really grinds my gears though was what amounted to theft of features of my vehicle.

They let it out the door after the warranty work, how it left was on them. But that doesn't mean they get to un-ring their bell after the fact. THAT is the sum total of what I've been pissed about. I'd hope the quality of customer service returns to what I've seen described here on TMC about the service centers from even a few years ago, but for right now, I'll be happy with my vehicle being back to the way it was when I bought it. Up until July 15th, I didn't even conceive of this being possible. I know from speaking with other people face-to-face (prospective customers for Tesla) that THEY haven't thought this was possible either, and NONE of them were happy with BMW's idea of the vehicle-feature-as-a-subscription.

To describe the reaction to the BMW story as "revulsion" doesn't really do it justice.

Sorry for not seeing this until now - I've been working outside all day. No clue who that twitter feed is about, that's not me. Mine is a 2014 model S, was replaced under warranty by a service center back in March to May (they had it 2 months apparently) of 2022 while it was between owners - and owned by a third party dealer, and I purchased the car mid May 2022. Been driving around on that battery at full range of 295 miles (only charged to 100% twice to see where I got to) until July 15th.

As for the current status, I received a message today that indicates that things may be getting resolved soon - which has been my only goal for this. I'm not looking for "free" services for an out of warranty vehicle, I have no problem paying for repairs when needed. What really grinds my gears though was what amounted to theft of features of my vehicle.

They let it out the door after the warranty work, how it left was on them. But that doesn't mean they get to un-ring their bell after the fact. THAT is the sum total of what I've been pissed about. I'd hope the quality of customer service returns to what I've seen described here on TMC about the service centers from even a few years ago, but for right now, I'll be happy with my vehicle being back to the way it was when I bought it. Up until July 15th, I didn't even conceive of this being possible. I know from speaking with other people face-to-face (prospective customers for Tesla) that THEY haven't thought this was possible either, and NONE of them were happy with BMW's idea of the vehicle-feature-as-a-subscription.

To describe the reaction to the BMW story as "revulsion" doesn't really do it justice.
Curious, does your car show that it’s a 60 or 90?

What irritates me is that Tesla knew they were putting in 90 battery and did so intentionally. It's not like they shipped something more expensive by accident. Configuring it to a 60 or a 90 didn't cost them a cent either way. They could have just told the customer that "Hey, we did a free upgrade. Enjoy. Don't tell anyone or everyone'll want one, lol," and left it at that. It would have literally cost them nothing and bought them some good will. Instead, they're being complete jerks start to finish. I've seen this all over the news, and the overwhelming reaction is not pro-Tesla at all.

Curious, does your car show that it’s a 60 or 90?

It showed in all the branding that it was a 60, but at 100% charge (prior to them "fixing" it on the 15th) was 295 miles which I understand to be full range for that size of actual battery. So the branding in the car was wrong.

After they "fixed" it, full charge was 209 miles.

The restoration came through today around 2pm, and the branding now says that it is a Model S 90. Interestingly enough, the "additional vehicle information" says "induction motor large" and the power meter on the instrument display shows up to 320 kwh. Previously the dash max was 240 kwh. Of course this doesn't make the car any faster, but that's Ok. This was never about the speed which is already silly fast.

What irritates me is that Tesla knew they were putting in 90 battery and did so intentionally. It's not like they shipped something more expensive by accident. Configuring it to a 60 or a 90 didn't cost them a cent either way. They could have just told the customer that "Hey, we did a free upgrade. Enjoy. Don't tell anyone or everyone'll want one, lol," and left it at that. It would have literally cost them nothing and bought them some good will. Instead, they're being complete jerks start to finish. I've seen this all over the news, and the overwhelming reaction is not pro-Tesla at all.
EXACTLY. 100% THIS. That would have been a TOTALLY normal way to handle it, and how I'd expect pretty much any other brand / dealership to handle a similar situation. "Hey, we replaced that windshield for you, but only had the ones with the heat strips in them. We hooked it up for you, enjoy not needing to chip your wipers off in February!"

Instead in that example, Tesla would probably say "Hey we replaced that windshield, you didn't have heated glass originally but you can have it enabled now for $2500."

Totally the wrong way to go about it. The PR mess they created with these kind of actions is just an unforced error on their part.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Russell
It showed in all the branding that it was a 60, but at 100% charge (prior to them "fixing" it on the 15th) was 295 miles which I understand to be full range for that size of actual battery. So the branding in the car was wrong.

After they "fixed" it, full charge was 209 miles.

The restoration came through today around 2pm, and the branding now says that it is a Model S 90. Interestingly enough, the "additional vehicle information" says "induction motor large" and the power meter on the instrument display shows up to 320 kwh. Previously the dash max was 240 kwh. Of course this doesn't make the car any faster, but that's Ok. This was never about the speed which is already silly fast.

EXACTLY. 100% THIS. That would have been a TOTALLY normal way to handle it, and how I'd expect pretty much any other brand / dealership to handle a similar situation. "Hey, we replaced that windshield for you, but only had the ones with the heat strips in them. We hooked it up for you, enjoy not needing to chip your wipers off in February!"

Instead in that example, Tesla would probably say "Hey we replaced that windshield, you didn't have heated glass originally but you can have it enabled now for $2500."

Totally the wrong way to go about it. The PR mess they created with these kind of actions is just an unforced error on their part.
Well I can say that I saw your story on multiple websites and also all over Twitter. Not a good look for Tesla. I am just waiting to see who is next, they have a history of doing things like this. Glad you got it resolved.

All over twitter? - would be interesting, b/c I barely use that platform and at least for my personal experience - Yes I posted it HERE in a bunch of threads (probably about 5 and all in the Model S section) and in two FB groups.... So this sounds like it has been an ongoing problem for customers of Tesla if there are that many other reports about the same experience. That's definitely not a good look for them.

All over twitter? - would be interesting, b/c I barely use that platform and at least for my personal experience - Yes I posted it HERE in a bunch of threads (probably about 5 and all in the Model S section) and in two FB groups.... So this sounds like it has been an ongoing problem for customers of Tesla if there are that many other reports about the same experience. That's definitely not a good look for them.

• Love
Reactions: geordi

Reactions: geordi
It may be that my experience with Tesla service locking my battery after the MCU upgrade was just convenient timing - b/c those articles are all sourced from the original twitter thread from 057. Now I DID email 057 on the 15th after it happened, but it would appear that this other customer's experience happened about the same time. Don't know from where, but presumably from somewhere in the Southeast (my region too) as that's where 057 is.

Edit - I see now that 057 posted that thread shortly after I spoke with him on Monday.... THANK YOU 057!!!!!! So I don't know when your other customer brought his 2013 in, but your tweet skills are legendary!

My car (2014) never reported itself with the branding on the screens as an S90. Until today when I was contacted by the service department manager I had last spoken with on the 20th. So in the ensuing week from that conversation up to the 25th.... Someone else had a similar situation and requested 057's help, and on the 25th I stumbled into 057's orbit and asked for help with the same problem.

I am extremely grateful to 057's efforts, and more than a bit shocked by how quickly that one post on Twitter exploded with both of our experiences. As I mentioned, I don't really use the platform. For confirmation, I was the customer "to be fixed within the week" as he mentioned, and they got it done remotely today at 2pm.

This still is what I see as an unforced error on the part of Tesla, b/c if they have done this to the two of us.... How many more are out there just waiting to go in for the MCU upgrade (or anything else) and get a VERY unpleasant surprise after? They didn't have to do this. CLEARLY they are letting them out of the service bays without locking them down - which honestly.... If you want to create brand loyalty and it doesn't COST you any different... A couple individuals here and there who are sent away SUPER happy will go a lot further in good PR than the truckload of bad PR that was just poured into the internet.

Last edited: