Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Repair Center's approach for Flat Tires - Replace Or Repair??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Model3 owners,

I have had the Model3 for a little over two months now, hence have started reading a lot about it & also came to know a few Tesla owners in my neighborhood.

One thing they all have experienced, when your Tesla vehicle gets a flat tire, most of the time they will replace it with a new one instead of repairing the tire. As it's easy (and financially beneficial) for them to slap on a brand new tire than spend time to fix a flat tire. Some owners have also literally argued with the Tesla Repair team members over this topic.

Has anyone experienced this, please share your story, am getting a bit concerned as spending hundreds on a new tire everytime a flat happens isn't a "wallet friendly' approach for us owners.

Thanks,
Sean.

So my approach is to take my new car (like I did recently with my P3D+) over to America's Tire (AKA Discount Tire) and purchase their tire warranty (road hazard). They handle all rotations and balancing, and do free tire flat repairs. The warranty covers for a non-repairable tire (they replace it). They can handle the foam lined acoustic tech tires. FWIW I paid about $225 for coverage for the 20" Michelin Pilot 4S TO Acoustic Tech tires, which run about $330 each at Tire Rack. And, yes, AT does know how to lift and torque Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Take it to any tire shop. They are the tire experts. Tesla is going to take the cautious approach. Most manufacturers do the same.

The foam lined tires to present a challenge to patching, but apparently there is a tech bulletin from the tire manufacturers that it’s fine to grind out the foam and place a patch.

Last edited:
So my approach is to take my new car (like I did recently with my P3D+) over to America's Tire (AKA Discount Tire) and purchase their tire warranty (road hazard). They handle all rotations and balancing, and do free tire flat repairs. The warranty covers for a non-repairable tire (they replace it). They can handle the foam lined acoustic tech tires. FWIW I paid about $225 for coverage for the 20" Michelin Pilot 4S TO Acoustic Tech tires, which run about $330 each at Tire Rack. And, yes, AT does know how to lift and torque Teslas.

Bummer... none available within 75 mile radius where I live. :-(

Reactions: dusty22

$225 for the 4 certificates. If you have one replaced, you’re required to purchase a certificate on the replacement tire (at least last time I used it). There is another $56. Total cost $281 for a $330 tire.

More than one need replaced, win. One replaced, tie. None replaced, loose.

It does provide free lifetime rotation, balance, and repair.

It does avoid surprise expenses at random times.

Hello Model3 owners,

I have had the Model3 for a little over two months now, hence have started reading a lot about it & also came to know a few Tesla owners in my neighborhood.

One thing they all have experienced, when your Tesla vehicle gets a flat tire, most of the time they will replace it with a new one instead of repairing the tire. As it's easy (and financially beneficial) for them to slap on a brand new tire than spend time to fix a flat tire. Some owners have also literally argued with the Tesla Repair team members over this topic.

Has anyone experienced this, please share your story, am getting a bit concerned as spending hundreds on a new tire everytime a flat happens isn't a "wallet friendly' approach for us owners.

Thanks,
Sean.
High speed rated tires are not guaranteed high speed rated if they are patched so Tesla replaces them.
You can get most gas stations to put a plug in a hole and most of the time this will be OK but you are taking a risk.

TireRack gives a free road hazard guarantee for 24 months or 2/32" tread. They will determine if the tire can be patched or replaced.

You ever try a tire Plug Kit? Any nail or screw in the tread can be pulled and immediately filled by a rubber-glue coated piece of twine from the kit (some use a rubber piece of spaghetti). It takes maybe 5 minutes, and you don't have to remove the tire or the wheel. Usually these days, it's a slow leak from a nail or screw. All you need is a tire pump and the kit. The tire leak is usually so slow you can drive it home and fix it in your driveway. Might cost a couple dollars per fix. Kit lasts for years in your trunk. For bigger holes, I use two.

Or, you could spend 50 times more at a tire shop. :)

Take it to any tire shop. They are the tire experts. Tesla is going to take the cautious approach. Most manufacturers do the same.

The foam lined tires to present a challenge to patching, but apparently there is a tech bulletin from the tire manufacturers that it’s fine to grind out the foam and place a patch.
Yup. I had mine patched at a local shop (that has experience with Teslas). It hadn't gone flat, I noticed it before it had time to run out. It was down to 26 psi so I figured a puncture. I topped it off with the little portable compressor I carry and immediately called ahead, drove over, and got in right away. They were able to grind out the foam and patch (all for $10).

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Tesla does not repair tires.

Any tire shop will. Can't imagine going to a Tesla service center every time I had a tire issue.

M3 only? I've had 2 tires repaired on my S by Tesla service. Latest was a month ago - a small nail, resulting in a slow leak. They said they wouldn't guarantee it above 85 mph but in discussing with advisor he said risk was small given where it was. As it is at a place I've had good success with, I decided it was worth the risk and saving $250.

Just had Costco our new tires in my S. Guy told me they have put new tires in a few Model 3 also.
Here in Houston only some of the Costcos were handling Model 3s this summer. May have changed by now as my understanding is that it's the service manager's call whether they feel they know enough about a given car model to service it competently.

$225 for the 4 certificates. If you have one replaced, you’re required to purchase a certificate on the replacement tire (at least last time I used it). There is another $56. Total cost $281 for a $330 tire.

More than one need replaced, win. One replaced, tie. None replaced, loose.

It does provide free lifetime rotation, balance, and repair.

It does avoid surprise expenses at random times.

I've also purchased the Road Hazard Warranty for my 19" Continental ProContact RX, 235/40-19, 96W. Here in California it was $150 and covers the following:

Wheel Certificate: (View PDF)
  • WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS
  • FLAT REPAIRS
  • TIRE AIR PRESSURE CHECK
  • TIRE ROTATION EVERY 5000 MILES
  • TIRE BALANCING EVERY OTHER TIRE ROTATION
  • REPLACEMENT OF DAMAGED TIRES
  • FOR 36 MONTHS OR UNTIL 3/32” OF TREAD

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I had two nails patched on my Model 3. And 2 on my X. West LA service center does it for a hefty $42 a pop

We had 2 screws on our X this year, and the local Les Schwab tire center repaired them for free. They also re-adjusted the tire pressure for all 4 tires and cleaned the tires with some kind of armour-all to make them all shinny. I know where to take our X and 3 when they need tire replacement.

Getting my tire repaired at the Burlingame, CA, Tesla Service Center for a screw in the center of the tread, right in one of the grooves. Model 3 stock 18" Michelin Primacy tires. $50 to repair, balance, and mount. And the same disclaimer that the speed rating will be reduced to 85 mph.

I could probably get it done a lot cheaper at Costco or America's Tire, but this will be much more convenient in terms of scheduling and time and not missing work.

I'm driving on a loaner wheel/tire after having called Roadside Assistance a couple days ago. I have the choice to take the punctured tire to another tire shop, but like I said, this is more convenient.

From my experience the Tesla service centers do not ever repair tires. They will only replace them.
Tesla does have at least 6 Sprinter vans running around the Bay Area that do replace or repair tires. I had the slow leak that before I could do anything about blew out as I entered a freeway w/o shoulders. The next exit was almost immediately and had a Public 48 amp J1772 opposite the exit.

IMG_5048.JPG

He drove up 30 minutes later, offered me coffee or soda or ice water. Jacked up the car and took off the wheel. Had a full tire station from a garage in the van, popped off the tire and inspected for damage. Decided it was 50/50 so I chose to keep the tire. He ground it down the foam and patched it with the rubber string kit listed above. He also was able to grind down the strings and put another patch over that. Sealed it all up, adjusted all my tires and cleaned them all too.

Said he was one of the first drivers for this program back when they were called Rangers. They were expanding the program and had six vans when I saw him a few months ago. If you lose a tire outside their radius you can get a loaner from the covered tow company and have 3 days to fix your tire, or they can fix it and come and swap it. Cannot remember how he said to handle it if you are on the move when the tire goes, but I remember being satisfied that they had a solution for you in that situation too.

-Randy