Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla rigged the dashboard readouts in its electric cars to provide “rosy” [range] projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Interesting.

TL;DR

1. Above 50% SOC the cars over state range, and under 50% they become more realistic.

2. Tesla had or has a team in Nevada and now moved to Utah solely dedicated to cancelling Service requests for range complaints, as they are deluged with them.

3. EPA ratings: Tesla aggressively uses all options to get the most rosy estimates (we knew that)

4. No comment from Tesla or any mfg on range for the story, some old comments.

So this feels about the same as almost every ICE car I've owned. The fuel gauge drops slower for the first 2/3 of a tank, then drops quicker at the end.

48609212538_27e61bc4e1_b.jpg

"Supercharging-Batterieanzeige auf dem Display, während der Elektroauto-Ladung an einer Tesla Supercharger Ladestation" by verchmarco is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
IMO it seems to be getting worse with newer models. In our 2012 and 2018 MS we could regularly get rated range. I cannot get rated range in my 2022 MXP and I drive the same (I have only done 3 full power accelerations in the 15 months I've owned it). I think it's because Tesla actually shrank the battery in the Refresh S/X (no longer 100kWh) and claimed higher efficiency to get the range numbers but I am always woefully below where I should be.

Car and Driver does a real 75mph range test and the results are what you would expect. Tesla radically overstates range (MSLR only went 320 with 402 rated, M3LR only went 240 with 310 rated) while the Germans actually understate range (Taycan went 280 with 225 rated) with other manufacturers closer to their rated. Chart here:

EPA range is well defined and part of the cycle is very slow and wouldn’t correlate much with highway range overall. As the article says, EPA occasionally do their own to compare with the self reporting and found a 3% discrepancy for some Tesla Model. Not too shabby. As the low speed efficiency increases every year, so does the EPA range.

It‘s too bad that Tesla removed the “how far can I go“ page where you could see range at different speeds And temperatures. They definitely subscribe to the ‘Less is More‘ information model.

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017

Interesting.

TL;DR

1. Above 50% SOC the cars over state range, and under 50% they become more realistic.

#1 is about the hidden buffer thing, as explained in the article, and is not well-understood even around these forums. Here is one forum thread that discusses it:
How Tesla Calculates Range (hidden buffer)

It's not that under 50%, it becomes more realistic as in using your driving habits, or factoring in air conditioning and other drain ( it is still using the EPA estimate wh/mi), but rather that it starts removing the 4-5% buffer capacity from the displayed rated range. In order to ever use the buffer range, you have to drive below the displayed 0% - but there's a huge risk in doing so, as you're basically doing it blind without knowing how close you are to the true 0%.

I recall there was a new owner around here several years ago, that was on a drive home and stopped with about 10-15% showing, when they got back into the car after eating, and suddenly the car was showing only a few % left, causing a bit of a range anxiety panic. Most folks chalked it up to a new owner lack of understanding of range estimates, or conflated the issue with other well-beaten range estimation or rated range complaints. He persisted and eventually was one of the first to document in detail the hidden buffer issue, but by that point the thread was already being shouted down, it was already massively confusing to read through. I cannot find that old thread currently, but it's in these forums somewhere.

But certainly the hidden buffer thing will also be lost and misunderstood in this thread as well, as it already is, amongst the other more common range issues.

The only thing really new to me in the article is overstating the range above 50% SOC, or what you called 5% buffer.

Really weird, I've seen ours drop suddenly right around 50%; a 2 mile round trip I do all the time takes 1%, except if it straddles the 50%, then it takes 5-7%. I wondered what the hell was going on.

The only thing really new to me in the article is overstating the range above 50% SOC
And their claim for that was about the Model S in 2012, not in anything current. Back then Tesla had an "Ideal" range you could selected, instead of the "Rated" range, that reported more range available. (But likely only achievable in low speed/hypermiling situations.)

The EPA range test is completely defined by the EPA and is unfortunately highly unrealistic for highway conditions since it uses an average speed of only 48 mph. Teslas happen to be crazy efficient at that pace - you'll easily pass the EPA range if you drive under 60 MPH on the highway.

Real humans unfortunately often travel at 80 MPH on modern highways. Teslas are much less efficient at that speed. The Germans care more about high-speed performance on their autobahns, so for example the Taycan uses a 2 speed transmission to squeeze a bit more efficiency out of the top end. Tesla went with a no-transmission-fewer-parts compromise.

The biggest single change I think should happen is to get the EPA into the business of making realistic tests that match the typical US American driving experience instead of hiding in their lab with a dyno and a history book.

My personal experience is I can easily match the EPA range on my MYLR around town, I can also match it if I set the cruise-control on 60 MPH on the highway, and every 10 MPH faster eats about 30 miles of range so yeah if I run at 80 MPH I'm in the mid-200's

Last edited:
The guess-o-meter range estimate in any vehicle is pretty much useless as the car has no idea where you're going or how fast you plan to get there. Weather, elevation, and speed all play a part. The navigation estimate works pretty well most of the time though which is what really counts. I changed the display to a percentage long ago.

Agreed that the EPA tests are a poor measure of how people will actually use the cars.

Reactions: Midpack
If EPA tests are unrealistic, then all manufacturers range estimates should be equally off, but that's not the case. German car estimates are accurate.
No, they aren't. They are often very inaccurate in the opposite direction.

There are two different EPA test procedures, most manufacturers opt for the easy shorter tests.

And it seems for most Tesla vehicles the EPA ran the tests themselves, so it isn't even Tesla that is creating them. (In one case on the Model S, Tesla had to demand the EPA retest it, because they screwed up the testing procedure, resulting in the rating being lower than it should have been.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle
Edmonds, who doesn't tend to be pro-Tesla, tested actual range, when driven similarly to the EPA test procedures, against the rated EPA range: Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

The data for the top, and bottom, 10 stolen from @exxxviii's post in another thread:
RankVehicleEPA RangeEdmunds RangeRange Precision
12021 Tesla Model S Plaid348 miles345 miles0.9%
22022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition314 miles317 miles1.0%
32021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range353 miles345 miles2.3%
42020 Tesla Model S Performance326 miles318 miles2.5%
52021 Tesla Model Y Long Range326 miles317 miles2.8%
62022 Lucid Air Dream Range520 miles505 miles2.9%
72022 Kia EV6 GT-Line dual motor274 miles283 miles3.3%
82022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD310 miles323 miles4.2%
92021 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance260 miles272 miles4.6%
102022 Porsche Taycan GTS246 miles259 miles5.3%
222021 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro260 miles288 miles10.8%
292021 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro S dual motor240 miles272 miles13.3%
352021 Volkswagen ID.4 First Edition250 miles287 miles14.8%
442020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric170 miles202 miles18.8%
452020 Kia Niro EV239 miles285 miles19.2%
462022 Hyundai Kona Electric258 miles308 miles19.4%
472022 BMW iX xDrive50 (22-in wheels)315 miles377 miles19.7%
482022 Mercedes-Benz AMG EQS 53 4Matic277 miles332 miles19.9%
492022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 450+350 miles422 miles20.6%
502022 Audi RS e-tron GT232 miles285 miles22.8%
512022 Porsche Taycan (20-in wheels)225 miles286 miles27.1%
522020 MINI Cooper SE110 miles150 miles36.4%
532020 Porsche Taycan 4S (20-in wheels)203 miles323 miles59.1%

Notice that Tesla tends to be at the top, being the most accurate, while the least accurate ones tend to be from the German manufacturers. The Porsche Taycan is off by as much as 59%. (Sure, the Taycan went further than they rated, but that isn't an indication of accuracy.)

And their claim for that was about the Model S in 2012, not in anything current. Back then Tesla had an "Ideal" range you could selected, instead of the "Rated" range, that reported more range available. (But likely only achievable in low speed/hypermiling situations.)
They were unclear about that. You could read it as starting in 2012, but still continuing now. IDK.

If EPA tests are unrealistic, then all manufacturers range estimates should be equally off, but that's not the case. German car estimates are accurate.

So, why are Tesla's range estimates so bad compared to other makes?

Cars are designed differently and have different optimal operating conditions. As I explained above, an easy example is that the Germans tended to add a transmission to optimize the top end efficiency (at the cost of complexity, weight, and cost). Doing so did not improve their EPA number at 48 MPH, but does help if you plan to run their car at a steady 80 MPH (well above the EPA test params).

If you drive a Tesla at an average of 48 mph you'll get huge range

Reactions: grottomatic
On my 2020 M3 LR I simply use .8 of Tesla range for actual range. ie 300 x .8 = 240. For me this is OK since 3 hours of driving on Interstate is enough because I need a break. Made several long distance drives and after a few trips rang eanxcity has disappeared. City driving never an issue.

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
Audi shows good estimates. It adjusts the range directly when you start the navigation system. Example, you have 200 miles left when entering the car. You set destination which is up the mountain. It immediately adjust and show 170 miles left. No surprises here from the start.

Audi shows good estimates. It adjusts the range directly when you start the navigation system. Example, you have 200 miles left when entering the car. You set destination which is up the mountain. It immediately adjust and show 170 miles left. No surprises here from the start.
I find the Tesla trip planner to be pretty accurate too. Except when I drive 85.

Car and Driver does a real 75mph range test and the results are what you would expect. Tesla radically overstates range (MSLR only went 320 with 402 rated, M3LR only went 240 with 310 rated) while the Germans actually understate range (Taycan went 280 with 225 rated) with other manufacturers closer to their rated. Chart here:
That is a really useful chart...until you get to this part:

We don't (yet) control the weather, so the worst-performing examples, including a 2018 Model 3 that only managed 65 percent of its range rating, took place with outside temperatures hovering around freezing.

So the 2018 Model 3 Performance went 10% farther than a 2018 Model 3 LR. Reality is probably the opposite. They have the right idea, but this chart is not that useful for comparison purposes. Providing the test ambient temperature would help.

Interesting take. Kind of like it...
How does the miles left react when you have entered waypoints in the nav?