Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla roof in the upper Midwest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our builder will want to roof later this year (or early next year depending on when we start) so that schedule may cause problems if Tesla aren't installing in this area by then. We've so far been unable to get anything solid from Tesla on this but still have plenty of time. We are also doing a detached garage/studio that could be started a bit later and has a simpler roof that will be oriented for solar. Question then would be how the Tesla roof on that would look compared to the non-Tesla roof on the main structure. I'm sure my wife and the architect will have a lot to say on that. :)

We are going to be empty nest's in a couple months. looking to sell house and finally building our Summer home in MI. We do have to replace the roof on our house and we are looking at getting Tesla roof in MI. I just read an article that helped me decide on getting Tesla roof on both. 10 Midwestern Cities Where Solar Power Has a Big Payoff.
Has anyone received a quote yet I will be staring the process and keep you informed with details.

I live in the Chicago burbs and am interested in someone penciling this out. I am also in commercial real estate, and have a pretty good gut on ROI etc. Based on all that I've read and heard, you install solar up here for sustainability purposes, not for investment purposes. Of course if you plan to hold your home for 20 years one might be able to make the argument, but the up front investment in both the premium tile cost and, more importantly, the modification to the electrical distribution equipment makes this a loser from an investment perspective.

I think the Redfin article is dubious, as the home values in the study are so low that I doubt the data is from anywhere within 50 miles of downtown. $185K (or even $300K for that matter) Chicago home buyers are not the target market for solar as they are not going to spend a nickel more than they have to on a failing roof. In fact, some might have to use home equity or other credit vehicles.. . . .I could go on, but you get my drift.

I'll track this to see where this goes, but my back of the napkin math on my 4000 SF home 20 miles north of the city says "no go."

I have a bout a year for someone to convince me otherwise, so have at it!

I agree with you, the 180-250k price range is not the market.. I have to spend 21k to replace my roof and if it cost 25-30k for solar, I think it would be worth it. Houses in our price range do not sell fast so we need that little edge. As you know, every month on the market it cost me money in property tax.

Reactions: Sully's8
I think it will really depend on individual circumstances. If you have to replace your roof anyway and already plan to use a more expensive produce like slates then the Tesla roof likely makes sense.

In our case of building a new house, the cost for Tesla roof looks to be about 23% more than what we'd planned to use. For that 23% extra (including 2 PW's) we get a better warranty (assuming the roof does last or Tesla remain in business and I believe both likely will) and we get a bunch of electricity. Guesstimating energy use for our house we get a 5 - 11 year payback. That works for me financially and we get the sustainability bits to boot.

Reactions: Sully's8
I think it will really depend on individual circumstances. If you have to replace your roof anyway and already plan to use a more expensive produce like slates then the Tesla roof likely makes sense.

In our case of building a new house, the cost for Tesla roof looks to be about 23% more than what we'd planned to use. For that 23% extra (including 2 PW's) we get a better warranty (assuming the roof does last or Tesla remain in business and I believe both likely will) and we get a bunch of electricity. Guesstimating energy use for our house we get a 5 - 11 year payback. That works for me financially and we get the sustainability bits to boot.

New construction makes a lot more sense than retrofitting for sure, so looks like your numbers for a midterm hold period work. Be careful with your energy savings assumptions.

Are you a ComEd customer and what were your assumptions for energy acquisition and consumption? Obviously you are charging at least one Tesla, which will certainly take some juice. Interested in the math if you have it handy.

Good luck in any event!

I live in Novi, MI and have solar panels and they work pretty well but I could not justify the price of the solar roof. With a 6KW system I get about 900-1000 KHW per month... Which is pretty good. We also get DTE solar credits which boosts our payback.

Now we paid about $20k and should get our payback in about 10 years (should be much less now). But if you did the same with the solar roof you might pay $60-100k depending on what they actually charge.