Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Rookie with Battery Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Tesla S coming. I have no idea what comes with the car for charging. I have been researching the Wall Charger. I have about a 50 mile commute round trip 6 days a week.

1. Do I need a wall charger?
2. What do I need?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the newb question.

The car comes with a mobile adapter to plug into a normal 120V wall outlet. This is Level 1 charging. This setup gets you about 2 - 4 miles of charge added per hour from a 12V normal wall plug. Also, a J1772 plug adapter is provided for other plugs. Other adapters are available. A Tesla wall adapter on a 240V / 60 A circuit can add up to 44 miles of charge per hour. Other Level 2 wall connectors can add 30 - 40 miles of charge per hour depending on the brand and the circuit.

I find it really convenient to plug in my Tesla to the Tesla wall connector at my house each evening. The car can add 400 miles of charge in 8 to 10 hours, but you are never starting from empty and you don't normally charge past 80% full - 4 to 6 hours is more normal. I use the mobile connector for travel, and mostly use Tesla Superchargers on the trip.

Last edited:
When we got our Model S, I had a Gen 2 wall charger installed. It charges at 44 MPH. So convenient to park and plug it in. Not cheap, charger is $500 and paid 1,500 to run the 220 on a dedicated 100 amp breaker and install it. But sooooo worth it. Good-by gas stations. The home charging doesn't harm the battery. I only use Superchargers when on the highway.

I wonder how many people have wall chargers vs not.
My commute is 40 miles per day in Phoenix (AC runs most of the year) and I charge from a NEMA 14-50 on my Mobile Connector charging 60% to 70% most of the time. Replenish of my charge takes only 2-3 hours at a low 20 amp setting. 120 volt L1 charging is a waste of time and energy, but is a last resort. The wall charger is overkill unless you need a lot of charging at home. I am new to Tesla though, first time post here. Just came from a Bolt EV that GM repurchased due to battery recall (had it about 2 years). Before that I had a Spark EV as my first BEV for about 1 year.

My commute was 60 miles a day when I bought a used model S 2 years ago and ordered a wall charger at the same time. I have a supercharger 2 miles from my house and the car has FUSC, BUT it is SO convenient to pull in the garage, plug in wall connector, then have car ready to go in the morning. It took me a a couple of months before I finished the wall charger install. The few times I used the mobile connector at 120 volts seemed barely worth it. All night for 40 miles of range added. Driving over to the supercharger was not bad, for a short while, then got old real fast.

I am very happy with the wall charger (40 amp circuit). Did it myself as home breaker panel is right next to the car. Watch a few YouTube videos, $40 at Home Depot and a few hours later to be charging at home. Mobile connector stays in the car for trips.

My commute was 60 miles a day when I bought a used model S 2 years ago and ordered a wall charger at the same time. I have a supercharger 2 miles from my house and the car has FUSC, BUT it is SO convenient to pull in the garage, plug in wall connector, then have car ready to go in the morning. It took me a a couple of months before I finished the wall charger install. The few times I used the mobile connector at 120 volts seemed barely worth it. All night for 40 miles of range added. Driving over to the supercharger was not bad, for a short while, then got old real fast.

I am very happy with the wall charger (40 amp circuit). Did it myself as home breaker panel is right next to the car. Watch a few YouTube videos, $40 at Home Depot and a few hours later to be charging at home. Mobile connector stays in the car for trips.
I thought the wall connector required a 60 amp circuit, can you run it on less?

Configured for full capacity, the Tesla wall charger runs 48A on a 60A circuit. This is the max specification. You can run lower, and set the Wall Connector for lower amperage if your wiring doesn't support the 48A. Also, most non-tesla wall connectors max out at 40A.

I thought the wall connector required a 60 amp circuit, can you run it on less?
I guess the new gen 3 can go down to a 15amp circuit.

1634933972190.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Forgot to mention that you can get away with a nema 14:50 install if that's done at a reasonable price. When we were living out of town in a lease home, that's what we did for a little over a year. I picked up an additional used mobile connector and use that as a dedicate home charger. The install of the plug was reasonable price and the used mobile chargers can be had here on the forums or on eBay very reasonable as well. That will get you 20 to 25 plus miles per hour of charge no problem.

My 2012 MS has a 40 amp limit and my Gen 1 Mobile Connector has a max of 40 amps so a wall connector would only offer 8 more amps (if my car could accept higher). Do the newer newer models accept a higher rate? I think I have seen 16kW advertised at destination chargers - that would be around 70 amps?

My 2012 MS has a 40 amp limit and my Gen 1 Mobile Connector has a max of 40 amps so a wall connector would only offer 8 more amps (if my car could accept higher). Do the newer newer models accept a higher rate?
No--that 48A is the fastest that any of their cars will take now.
I think I have seen 16kW advertised at destination chargers - that would be around 70 amps?
Yes, that was from an older time, when wall connectors could provide up to 80A output, and some of the cars could use 72A.

Reactions: DerbyDave