Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla"s Policy On Autopilot use in inclement Weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just viewed a video of a M3 owner up in Canada who was driving under snow and ice conditions using Autopilot . The M3 lost control for a few seconds crossing about two lanes and finally gaining control using Autopilot according to the driver. This was all captured on a dash cam .

What exactly is Tesla's policy for using Autopilot in inclement weather?

Long before autopilot there was cruise control . Same common sense cya disclosure was stated in owners manuals for vehicles with that option also. But here it is for TACC from Tesla:

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on winding roads with sharp curves, on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.) make it inappropriate to drive at a consistent speed.

Thanks to all for the responses. Yes I would agree the driver is ultimately responsible. I have had situations in my MS that I have had to intervene although I find the autopilot works pretty well.
I don’t know how many have seen the video of the incidence . I was trying to analyze how the autopilot handled loosing control due to black ice and regained control several lanes over. Was this the autopilot or traction control ??

Thanks to all for the responses. Yes I would agree the driver is ultimately responsible. I have had situations in my MS that I have had to intervene although I find the autopilot works pretty well.
I don’t know how many have seen the video of the incidence . I was trying to analyze how the autopilot handled loosing control due to black ice and regained control several lanes over. Was this the autopilot or traction control ??

I wonder if Fully Autonomous Driving would be allowed under bad weather or grounded?

I wonder if Fully Autonomous Driving would be allowed under bad weather or grounded?

If it snows hard my radar and sensors and at times a great deal of the front windshield is covered in snow. How would it be possible in these conditions? At night with huge snow flakes visibility can almost be better driving without the lights so you don't just see the light from 1000 huge white flakes bouncing back in your face.

AP disengages and states "unavailable driver take over immediately". The red hands of death imminent.

In these whiteout conditions human driving is sketchy at best, most will travel at half the rated highway speed limit, and given the choice one should not even attempt it, but sometimes drivers get caught in it or they have little choice.

Even in heavy rain with tons of spray from the dozens of vehicles in front my AP can disengage.

Now, airplanes on autopilot are able to do it because their passage in the atmosphere is cleared before hand; they can travel in a straight line and get the "lane" all to themselves, but landing is a different story; sometimes they cannot.