Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla absolutely cannot sell through a dealer model.

The dealer model is the biggest hinderance that exists in the auto industry. It precludes significant growth multiples due to cash sunk into finished goods inventory and it precludes direct customer-feedback as an asset to the rapid developments of product and services that lead to customer satisfaction.

I am in NJ.I have reserved the White S85 with all the bells and whistles and I am expecting delivery in May..

Anyone know,
Will I have to pay Sales Tax 7% Or More (If they decide to deliver in NY) upfront OR Does it stay same (i.e. No Sales tax since its an EV) and I will still pick the car up from Service Center?
you shouldn't be liable for any sales taxes because the sales taxes are due to the state where the car is registered and not to the state where the car is purchased.
since you will be registering the car in NJ there should be no sales taxes collected or due because of the sales tax abatement for electric powered autos bought and registered in NJ that is currently in effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Just playing the game. You know how it goes. You try and belittle me and my views first (remember who called who naive) and I lob the pile of crap back at you. Eventually one of us fails to catch it.
you need to put your big boy pants on, calling you naive is not an insult, it is an observation of the level of understanding of the machinations of politics at the level this is playing out at.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nj.gov/dep/aqaweek/2013GovernorProclamation.pdf

I guess Air Quality Awareness Week just got unproclaimed in NJ.
I mentioned that this whole circus is making it appear to an outsider that in NJ the left hand has no clue as to what the right hand is doing, the comment flew right on by

Perhaps one needs to understand how Elon Musk operates. Currently Tesla Motors is supply constrained, not demand constrained. Right now it does not need New Jersey. The company does not advertise, but it benefits from all the media attention it gets from attempts by dealership lobbies to get state governments to thwart interstate commerce and free competitive enterprise. Many people are still unaware of Tesla Motors or its cars. I was a year ago before I bought my shares. I expect that eventually the federal courts will invoke the Constitution's interstate commerce clause and sweep away state requirements for middlemen. That may be about the same time that production is ramped up and almost everyone has become aware of Tesla Motors and its cars. Elon appears to be the one who is writing and acting out a brilliant script.

I agree completely. The worst that happens (besides Noo Joiseyans having trouble getting test drives) is that people in Beijing don't have to wait quite as long for their cars...

If Mr. Christie wants any hope of getting our crucial swing state v:rolleyes:tes in a primary or general election, he will have to start by not selling out an innovative American company to a special interest gr:rolleyes:up. The way his :rolleyes:ffice has handled this issue, ignoring the numerous complaints and denying consumer advocates who showed up at the meeting from voicing their opposition to the proposal, does not portray him as a fair or just leader.

I will be letting him know my thoughts on the matter, in a stern e-mail :rolleyes:

I mentioned that this whole circus is making it appear to an outsider that in NJ the left hand has no clue as to what the right hand is doing, the comment flew right on by

I think they are capable of taking money with either hand.

NEW JERSEY COALITION OF AUTOMOTIVE RETAILERS Contributions from 2003 to 2009
Democrat 215 $373,099 53.55%
Republican 167 $323,650 46.45%

The Air Quality Awareness Week proclamation was just blowing smoke (pun intended) up the publics *ss.

I think they are capable of taking money with either hand.

NEW JERSEY COALITION OF AUTOMOTIVE RETAILERS Contributions from 2003 to 2009
Democrat 215 $373,099 53.55%
Republican 167 $323,650 46.45%

The Air Quality Awareness Week proclamation was just blowing smoke (pun intended) up the publics *ss.

It is good to see that there is one more person who has learned that politicians are really just 2 cheeks on the same ass

What does this really mean?

Can someone please explain the real impact of this on the people of NJ? Supposedly Arizona where I live is also one of those states that bans "direct sales" but I really don't see the actual effect. I mean, they have a show room in Scottsdale, I can view the car, talk to sales people, test drive the car. The only thing I can't do is order the car directly with them and I have to go to the website to order it which is what everyone does anyway. Also, they have a service center in Phoenix and have had no problem getting service. Also, when the car is delivered, it is delivered by a third party carrier, but really I view this as a minor inconvenience and definitely not something to deter me from buying a Tesla. Is the situation in NJ different than AZ? Am I missing something?

I think it will naturally resolve itself shortly. Worst case you take delivery elsewhere. After this fizzles, you can call Tesla and ask what you should do. Everyone else here will just be speculating, Tesla will tell you your options, this just happened today, give them a chance to find solutions.

I think it will naturally resolve itself shortly. Worst case you take delivery elsewhere. After this fizzles, you can call Tesla and ask what you should do. Everyone else here will just be speculating, Tesla will tell you your options, this just happened today, give them a chance to find solutions.
I just emailed my delivery guy for his insights, but being that this is so fresh I doubt if he'll be able to give a concrete response.
the only big issue of taking delivery in NY or PA that it then becomes my obligation to register and title the car, not the best way to spend the better part of a day