Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a very stupid question but is there anyway to make a manual switch to have two cameras hooked up
@artsci has said that he has tried unsuccessfully. That's why they built the board. I semi-successfully hooked up two cameras (one to the rear of my trailer) but manually plugged/unplugged them. And it was only semi-successful because the camera signal is very unreliable. It seems to work in the mornings when it's cool, but never again for the rest of the day. I'm going to bail on that project and replace it with a wireless RV camera. Disappointed, but it was a fun project so no worries.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Are you going to point a Tesla camera at the RV cameras screen so that it still displays on the MCU? ;)

BTW: I really liked your idea of extending the camera to the back of the trailer...
I think if the cable run could be shorter, it might work. But the cable options are limited and I have a good 10’ of extra run. It is really great when it works.. but this is too important for flaky ohmman project quality. :)

• Funny
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I think if the cable run could be shorter, it might work. But the cable options are limited and I have a good 10’ of extra run. It is really great when it works.. but this is too important for flaky ohmman project quality. :)

I wonder if the new custom shorter cables they are having made as part of the second release of the camera switcher would help you out. More information about them in this post: 2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
@artsci has said that he has tried unsuccessfully. That's why they built the board. I semi-successfully hooked up two cameras (one to the rear of my trailer) but manually plugged/unplugged them. And it was only semi-successful because the camera signal is very unreliable. It seems to work in the mornings when it's cool, but never again for the rest of the day. I'm going to bail on that project and replace it with a wireless RV camera. Disappointed, but it was a fun project so no worries.
How Hard was it to get to the camera plug I was thinking of doing the same thing I basically just want to camera for the third row that way you can see my kids

:eek:!
A misquote or Elon's latest price adjustments in search of profitability? Tesla used to charge stratospheric prices for parts, but lowered them to reasonable (for $100K car) prices back in 2016 IIRC. Are they back up now?
Must be. They wanted $395 plus tax and I said "Oh I just need the part, not installation", He said that is just the part. Installation is another $150.

Do you have any tips to share. I have a new camera sitting around waiting to be installed. Can’t seem to get the trim off the car.
It's not easy. We found it easier to remove the trim from the inside of the trunk which gave us better access to the connector and the tabs for the chrome applique. The way we did it (and maybe there are better ways but this is what worked) was to remove all the screws from the applique trim and remove the interior plastic trim from the hatch (make sure you pop out the grab handle plastic as well otherwise the trim wont come off). This allows you to disconnect the camera. Heat the chrome applique on both sides near the lights and take some fishing line to detatch the 3M tape that's holding it down. No you can pry off the chrome and the mounting plastic in one piece. We found it easier to push the tabs from inside the hatch than pull on the chrome itself. Remove the old camera, plus in the new one and put everything back together.

Recommend that you get some 3M trim double sided tape before you remove the rear applique. I suspect you will want to put it back on as soon as you are done? I recommend a couple of different widths of the tape. Its hard to trim widths. Been there, done it a couple of times.

You might be able to disconnect the camera after you remove the grab handles. And connect the new one. This will give you a chance to test the new camera to be sure it works and meets your expectations before you remove a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D