Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says Model 3 & Model Y Will Both Be Equipped To Tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from a 2013 ATS, but my XT5 has a very similar system. Seems like something Tesla could implement and improve on pretty easily.
Imagine the cost versus the gain. The hype.
Especially a retrofit-table unit. 200,000+ Model 3's on the road now. Some owners will ask a HUD for their birthday.
I see a <$200 product that could be sold at 10x cost.
But they'd need to finally bring some proper customizations and clever improvements.

Reactions: dmurphy
Imagine the cost versus the gain. The hype.
Especially a retrofit-table unit. 200,000+ Model 3's on the road now. Some owners will ask a HUD for their birthday.
I see a <$200 product that could be sold at 10x cost.
But they'd need to finally bring some proper customizations and clever improvements.

So, the challenge with a retrofit is this ...

#1 - the windshield glass usually requires a special reflectivity coating. For example, on my vehicle, there are two windshield part numbers - with-HUD and without-HUD. I had to replace a windshield and needed to be *very* specific to use the OEM, HUD windshield, otherwise, the projected display is dim and fuzzy.

#2 - Given the dash design of the Model 3, where do you put the projector, without interfering with the HVAC vent? This would also require a separate data channel connection, which means a new wiring harness, etc.

It's not quite as easy a retrofit as it would appear, I'd say. Sure, at volume, it'd certainly be less than $200. But it'd be a LOT easier to retrofit into, say, a Model S/X refresh, or the brand new Model Y, than as an inline engineering change on the Model 3. An after-purchase upgrade would be even more difficult.

Moreso, as nice as it is in my Cadillac, I don't think it gets the hype one would expect. It's always a "hey, that's cool" feature but not something that I think sells on its own. It's always part of a bundle (akin to the Premium interior.)

So - would adding a HUD increase Model 3 sales? That's the golden question.

Reactions: Cloxxki
So, the challenge with a retrofit is this ...

#1 - the windshield glass usually requires a special reflectivity coating. For example, on my vehicle, there are two windshield part numbers - with-HUD and without-HUD. I had to replace a windshield and needed to be *very* specific to use the OEM, HUD windshield, otherwise, the projected display is dim and fuzzy.

#2 - Given the dash design of the Model 3, where do you put the projector, without interfering with the HVAC vent? This would also require a separate data channel connection, which means a new wiring harness, etc.

It's not quite as easy a retrofit as it would appear, I'd say. Sure, at volume, it'd certainly be less than $200. But it'd be a LOT easier to retrofit into, say, a Model S/X refresh, or the brand new Model Y, than as an inline engineering change on the Model 3. An after-purchase upgrade would be even more difficult.

Moreso, as nice as it is in my Cadillac, I don't think it gets the hype one would expect. It's always a "hey, that's cool" feature but not something that I think sells on its own. It's always part of a bundle (akin to the Premium interior.)

So - would adding a HUD increase Model 3 sales? That's the golden question.
Tesla openly goes after BMW and Audi. It would be interested to ask these buyers on how much they'd pay extra to have an S/X style instrument cluster or HUD. Or, had their car had the option to omit it and get a discount, what's the magic number?

If true, the real question has to be: why not sooner? Why not just share that during the event?
Why not Model S, back in 2012?
I've been asking this on the most knowledgeable forums and never got a straight answer.

For European demand (and thus pricing and thus profit) this would have a very real impact. Especially with V3 supercharging being rolled out.

And I keep saying it until someone tweets it to Elon making him fix it a decade too late the next week: a wagon/shooting break/estate version of both S and 3 on top of that towing capability would really boost demand like crazy. And again with V3 charging, a slight loss in range is not such an issue as the cost for even more cargo space on the Y.

Complex question, why now?

As already stated, Towing is an easy demand lever. I see this as evidence Tesla is thinking and executing for serious volume and not just a hit single. The fight to kill Tesla is real while at the same time Tesla is learning how costly it is to grow factories when everyone is trying to cut off the money supply (Morgan Stanley and others).

Make no mistake, we are at War. The Model 3 battle was won but the resistance is alive and cash strong (in case you haven't seen the stock lately). IMO, the forecast is heavily in our favor now. So obvious to any "real" analyst.

The other factor is that they are likely timing these announcements as part of their marketing strategy. (A part of me still thinks the "Close all Stores" announcement was a political and marketing test, among other cost savings efforts in HC.)

To your question, Model S towing would not result in a more cost effective vehicle for the masses. It's wasn't a show stopper for you and most still couldn't afford one either way. I'm sure the Roadster could tow as well, but how does that further the mission?

But because the Model Y and 3 are so similar, they likely did tests and number crunching for both vehicles without too much extra effort.

Hoping for 5,000 lbs capacity, but would be OK with 3,500 lbs.

Tiny boot for a car with 5 supposedly decent seats, then.
Let alone price per m³ or ft³ of cargo space.

The boot is about the same size as it is in any similar sedan with a trunk. As a gigging musician, I can easily place all of my gear in the trunk. This includes two 1100w 10" PA speakers, a tenor sax, a percussion bag, a keyboard, a two-tier keyboard stand, and a backpack full of pedals and cables. The front trunk is still unused, and all five seats are available for passengers. I can think of many cars that actually do have "tiny storage" that these things would not fit in.

The boot is about the same size as it is in any similar sedan with a trunk. As a gigging musician, I can easily place all of my gear in the trunk. This includes two 1100w 10" PA speakers, a tenor sax, a percussion bag, a keyboard, a two-tier keyboard stand, and a backpack full of pedals and cables. The front trunk is still unused, and all five seats are available for passengers. I can think of many cars that actually do have "tiny storage" that these things would not fit in.
I looked it up. Less space including frunk than a BMW 3-series saloon. Going by the numbers. And the factor at which Model Y offers more space while visually seeming almost the same offers a hint. That is, if you needed that hint considering the minute outer dimensions difference between 3 and S. The 3 is simply badly packaged. For a car, but especially for a Tesla. Which is why it sticks out. Yes, I've seen people put a bicycle in there. In my Mazda 323F back in the day, I easily threw two big boy bikes plus bags.
Hey, I like the Tesla brand, the 3 is just their least appealing design in many ways for me. It was an error on many levels to not make the Y first.

BMW 3 series has grown to be a pretty big car. Used to be a compact, but has grown with each generation. No longer a compact, but more of a full sized car.

4 door sedans are designed more as people movers than for hauling stuff. Making the back seat fold down helps, but usually the trunk opening negates hauling bigger items.

That is one of the reasons the Model S was such a success. The hatch back design allowed it to hold not only 7 people but also lots of stuff.

People that want the extra room will move to the Model Y.

I looked it up. Less space including frunk than a BMW 3-series saloon. Going by the numbers. And the factor at which Model Y offers more space while visually seeming almost the same offers a hint. That is, if you needed that hint considering the minute outer dimensions difference between 3 and S. The 3 is simply badly packaged. For a car, but especially for a Tesla. Which is why it sticks out. Yes, I've seen people put a bicycle in there. In my Mazda 323F back in the day, I easily threw two big boy bikes plus bags.
Hey, I like the Tesla brand, the 3 is just their least appealing design in many ways for me. It was an error on many levels to not make the Y first.

I said almost the same space. Not exactly the same as one particular model. I can do the same thing you just did... the Audi A4 has 2 cubic feet less cargo space than the Model 3.

The Y does not visually seem the same size as the 3. It is clearly larger by a significant amount.

The S is a foot longer and 4 inches wider. That's a lot when considering volume.

Interior volume does not simply disappear into the ether due to the existence of a trunk rather than a hatch. If you use all of the rated cargo space of a Model S, your cargo will completely block the rear window. The Model 3 simply partitions that area off. If you really want to use every last bit of storage to the point of blocking visibility, put some stuff on the shelf behind the rear seat.

I said almost the same space. Not exactly the same as one particular model. I can do the same thing you just did... the Audi A4 has 2 cubic feet less cargo space than the Model 3.

The Y does not visually seem the same size as the 3. It is clearly larger by a significant amount.

The S is a foot longer and 4 inches wider. That's a lot when considering volume.

Interior volume does not simply disappear into the ether due to the existence of a trunk rather than a hatch. If you use all of the rated cargo space of a Model S, your cargo will completely block the rear window. The Model 3 simply partitions that area off. If you really want to use every last bit of storage to the point of blocking visibility, put some stuff on the shelf behind the rear seat.
For being a few percent shorter and narrower, boot size is almost halved from Model S. You can see that whichever way you like to. For me it's difference between "nice and spacious" and "where to put out stuff?".
It's about having the option to fill up the car, at least of me. And closing off that boot so low obviously has its own issues.

Vloggers there at the event, proper fanboy of the highest degree, mistook the Y for a 3. Many say they look so similar in size. With so much more cargo space, I am content that space was used much better. And the 7-seater shows a nice flat floor, I like that. Hope the 5-seater will have a bedding compartment under a false floor.

Reactions: gilscales
Tesla openly goes after BMW and Audi. It would be interested to ask these buyers on how much they'd pay extra to have an S/X style instrument cluster or HUD. Or, had their car had the option to omit it and get a discount, what's the magic number?
Model 3 (and future MS/X) doesn't have a display because it all-in on FSD. The driver is secondary. Don't expect Tesla to spend any effort on HUD. The driver doesn't need to know.

Imagine towing a sailboat... on Full Self Drive. Boat launch App... soon! That's a software feature example - Tesla's revenue stream advantage. This will be a heavy blow to an industry that's already on their heels. Going to continue this conversation over a the investment thread. It's that worthy for Tesla, the company.

Autopilot (never mind FSD) doesn't work in trailer mode at all.

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL
For being a few percent shorter and narrower, boot size is almost halved from Model S. You can see that whichever way you like to. For me it's difference between "nice and spacious" and "where to put out stuff?".
It's about having the option to fill up the car, at least of me. And closing off that boot so low obviously has its own issues.

Vloggers there at the event, proper fanboy of the highest degree, mistook the Y for a 3. Many say they look so similar in size. With so much more cargo space, I am content that space was used much better. And the 7-seater shows a nice flat floor, I like that. Hope the 5-seater will have a bedding compartment under a false floor.

Again, they are not similar in size.

3y.gif

First I've heard of this, Model X I assume. Why wouldn't autopilot work with a trailer? And what is "Trailer Mode"?
Yes, the Model X has something called "Trailer Mode" which is either manual set or automatically detected by the car if it senses a load or electrical hookup. "Trailer Mode" disables AutoPilot (but not TACC) and includes some anti-sway software. It also forces the suspension to Standard as I recall.

Autopilot (never mind FSD) doesn't work in trailer mode at all.
Well, there is an advantage of adding my own aftermarket hitch. I know a downside is that I get the alert I am about to hit something the second I put the car in reverse, and it's hard to use the camera to look thru the bicycles back there, but I still have sideview mirrors for backing into a Supercharger.

I have yet to try driving with a trailer, perhaps I should do that today

-Randy