Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Scam... Transmission doesn't leak!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
) phone number and area code don’t match the location of the ad: Portland? Seattle? A Wisconsin Area Code?

This is actually becoming the norm, rather than the exception, these days. Everyone has a cell phone that moves with them to keep the same number, it's trivial. I've had the same Boston based cell phone number (617) and have moved twice since then to different states. Lots of people I know have cell phone numbers not even remotely related to where they're living "now".

And in fact when I moved out of the Boston area, I even kept my landline number by transferring it to Vonage, and then Google Voice. So even now my "landline" in CT has a 617 area code. I've had the same number for >20 years now.

A phone number not matching a location alone shouldn't be a reason to raise suspicion. Perhaps that's the one thing that is accurate in this scam.

These kind of ads are all over the internet for not only any kind of car, but also for 4-wheelers, tractors, golf cars, and any thing else an idiot would hand over his money for, thinking he's getting a perfect condition item for 1/4 the fair market value of the item.

I'm not even sure why you'd waste your time with this. There's 4 million more on the internet. People just have to use common sense. And if they don't have common sense, then remember the old saying, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

Just move on.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The best thing about playing with scammers is wasting their time so they are not scamming someone else.

But the title to this thread should be changed to "Craig's List Tesla Scam... Transmission doesn't Leak!"

I came here thinking Tesla had scammed someone about their transmission not leaking.

STEP 6 More Hoops to Jump Through

But I finally got an invoice and a wiring number.

f6248cea19413690e9c8cf96b5a75f2c84033bf7a555f80304e4b908c4ddff44.gif

Reactions: phalseid
Great work. Hopefully you helped others who may have had their scammed money in the account that was frozen.

I see the Craig's List ad is still up though, waiting to prey on more people:

2013 Tesla Model S Performance RWD
Interesting that Craigslist cares so little about its users that it has not taken down a listing that has been demonstrated to them to be a scam.

So did you ever call this e-bay number at 888-261-6691? I wonder who was at the other end...

Also, save the e-mail headers from your communication with the scammer. They may provide some tracking info if the scammer didn't use a proxy or vpn.