Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla scheduled departure/off-peak charging not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Peak times here 4pm-8pm; two Teslas; two Wall Connectors

I had been using scheduled charging starting at 8:15pm. Since it's gotten cold, my wife has been trying to remember to warm up the cabin every morning. She wished aloud that there was a way to automate this. I told her I thought there was and would implement it. I've stayed away from scheduled Departure as I didn't understand why you set Off-Peak End Time (seems like a double negative) and not simply the Peak start and stop times. So I set our cars with Departure times of 7:15am and 8am and with our Off-Peak End Times at 3:30pm.

I also found you can set the wall connectors to only charge during certain times. So set those times to 8:30pm to 3:30pm.

This all seems fraught with risk and I am questioning if they will charge at all tonight. LOL

P.S. Also noticed by Wall Connectors invariable report being offline and to check wifi connection. They will do this one at a time or both. I just have to wait a bit and they appear back online. Don't know if they're really having trouble connecting wifi, just confused, if it's the app updating, or what.

Hi all, apologies if this is not the right channel...brand new member here...

I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

I recently set up my electricity rates in the tesla app with "Time-of-use" - I have 3 rates:
Off-peak > at $0.08 / kWh from 12.00am to 6.00am
Super off-peak > at $0.00 / kWh (free) from 11.00am to 2.00pm
Peak > remaining hours (6.00am to 11.00am and 2.00pm to 12.00am)

I've added a screen shot to make it easier.

I set the charging in the tesla app to "Off-Peak Charging" which it says "prioritize charging during off-peak hours to reduce energy costs" and my scheduled departure is set to 9.00am each morning, however, I noticed that the car only starts charging at 12.00am each night, but never charges during my super off-peak hours.

Since my super off-peak rate is zero, I want to make sure the car charges during this 3 hour window (cause it's essentially free charging) and if the charge is not completed, it should resume charging at 12.00am and finish the charge during the off-peak rates.

Is anyone having the same issue? or Does anyone knows how to set it up? or is this a limitation of the app and the car will only charge during off-peak?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419_124957_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_124957_Tesla.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3
Scan this thread for discussion maxspagetti and I have had. Meets your need. What you are doing “should” work, but there are enough pitfalls and gotchas that using the 3rd party app “Tessie” is a better option.

IMO of course.

Reactions: jcanoe
You will not be able to do what you want with just the Tesla app. You will need a third party app that integrates with your Tesla. Or possibly do something with automation shortcuts on your phone.

The Tesla app only lets you set a single off peak end time. If you use the off peak charge setting, it will start when it calculates it needs to in order to complete charging by off peak end.

Or you can schedule to start charging at a specific time. But it will continue charging until you reach your charge limit and you cannot set an end time.

If you have a Tesla wall connector, you can add it to the Tesla app which gives you the ability to set a hard window to allow charging. But you can only set one start time and one end time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe
You will not be able to do what you want with just the Tesla app. You will need a third party app that integrates with your Tesla. Or possibly do something with automation shortcuts on your phone.
Correct. I use a combination of Tesla scheduled start time (midnight) and also phone automations to achieve what I want. I try to keep my third-party app usage to a minimum, but others here might be able to suggest apps (like Tessie or ChargeHQ).

For your stated goal (charge 1100-1400 highest priority, 0000-0600 next priority), you probably need more information about your driving habits and desired charge levels. When do you drive? How fast is your charger? How far do you drive?

For example, if you are parked tonight overnight, and are not using the car before 1400 tomorrow, you don't want to charge at all tonight if you can charge tomorrow (but only if 3 hours is enough...)

Reactions: E90alex
Correct. I use a combination of Tesla scheduled start time (midnight) and also phone automations to achieve what I want. I try to keep my third-party app usage to a minimum, but others here might be able to suggest apps (like Tessie or ChargeHQ).

For your stated goal (charge 1100-1400 highest priority, 0000-0600 next priority), you probably need more information about your driving habits and desired charge levels. When do you drive? How fast is your charger? How far do you drive?

For example, if you are parked tonight overnight, and are not using the car before 1400 tomorrow, you don't want to charge at all tonight if you can charge tomorrow (but only if 3 hours is enough...)
Thanks Max, makes sense 👍