Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla scratched while summoning out of garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we're chatting about Summon, I park in my garage pretty much the same way each time. But, when I use Summon to back it our of my garage, it reacts differently quite a bit. Sometimes it will get very close to the garage door opening arch (so I always carefully watch it as it backs out), sometimes it will clear the opening arch quite easily. Sometimes it will back all the way out to the street & I need to stop it via the fob (or, I just touch the driver's door handle), and sometimes it will stop backing out halfway out, and then stop the Summon process. I will just restart the Summon, and it will then continue on it's journey.
So, assuming my garage didn't change, and assuming my parking is very close to the same each time, why does it back out differently quite often?
Anyone else have this issue?
I've got a 2017 Model S 100D with MCU1, AP2.5 & FSD on firmware 2020.12.
Thanks.

Reactions: rafacq
Since we're chatting about Summon, I park in my garage pretty much the same way each time. But, when I use Summon to back it our of my garage, it reacts differently quite a bit. Sometimes it will get very close to the garage door opening arch (so I always carefully watch it as it backs out), sometimes it will clear the opening arch quite easily. Sometimes it will back all the way out to the street & I need to stop it via the fob (or, I just touch the driver's door handle), and sometimes it will stop backing out halfway out, and then stop the Summon process. I will just restart the Summon, and it will then continue on it's journey.
So, assuming my garage didn't change, and assuming my parking is very close to the same each time, why does it back out differently quite often?
Anyone else have this issue?
I've got a 2017 Model S 100D with MCU1, AP2.5 & FSD on firmware 2020.12.
Thanks.

My recent 8.1.1 update, does not summon as straight as it used too.

I'll get down voted like crazy, but this is an example of why I seriously doubt FSD will happen any time soon

Or...
The cars need larger bumpers...
maxresdefault.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Andy7 and drdumont
I'll get down voted like crazy, but this is an example of why I seriously doubt FSD will happen any time soon. Probably not in my lifetime (I'm 50).

FInally! Someone who agrees with me re FSD. I'm 73. I love new technology, and have been on the bleeding edge of a lot of it in my time. But I just don't see FSD's viability until EVERY vehicle can talk to EVERY other vehicle nearby and oncoming, and much better inputs and decisionmaking criteria than the lines on the pavement and a few sensors here and there. The good old Mark 1 Mod1 V1 eyeball and brain can process and make decisions a lot faster, IMHO.
I realize I will have to duck and cover on this one, but I put the $7K to better use.

I have used Smart summon twice. I dont think I will use it again, One time, only one car in our office parking lot and the 2020 MS almost crashed into it. Second time, no cars in parking lot and it almost went over a raised sidewalk into our building (3 feet in front of it) to try and move forward to turn to “come to me”. It kept on trying to go forward over the raised curb and almost into the building..... Scary with a 1 week old car. Not sure that is ready for prime time unless I am doing it wrong.

J

"I am much larger than most owners at about 25st."

Ha, for our American audience, that's "stone", or 14 lbs. "Stone", who uses "stone"? The Brits. I heard this measure used while watching Brit youtube vids. WTF? Why any society that still uses the SAE system desires to multiply by 14 is beyond me! HA!

Well, I'm not sure why an American will say anything about a measure system of others.
The rest of the world look at both British and Americans as a bunch of weirdos regarding this, almost all others use the metric system.
And sadly enough, this has led to several expensive mistakes in the past.
Why someone will use a system where you need to calculate everything like in the USA is beyond me...
Like 11/16 = 17,4mm, why not just use the metric system?

I encounter a lot of these problems in my work.

Its okey for an inch to be an inch, like a dozen is a dozen, but why the *blip* would the Americans and the British make their own versions of, for example, a ton?

Its 2020 now, the world should be able to agree on a standard, and clearly mark equipment that isn't done in the metric system. Both in drawings and technical documents.

In my country we also have a "old" version of measurement, but we don't use it, it's only a part of our history.
What if we and every other countries in the world didn't care about either metrics and just use whatever they called their own.

This difference in systems is preventing/hindering progress and costs stupid enormous money every year on global basis...

So sorry to hear that happened to you MrKool. I have a tight garage with approx. 1ft 4" (40cm) clearance at the roller door. Most times the vehicle exit and enter without incident when moving directly straight. However, I have caught it on a few occasions whilst exiting where it steers sharply either left or right before proceeding. I've always halted summon on these occasions because the vehicle's trajectory would, I'm sure, collide with the side walls. Therefore I'm not confident to allow summon to enter or exit my garage without monitoring, albeit, always in a heightened state of nervousness.

I use it all the time to summon in and out of garage. It’s very convenient when I’m about to wash the car or clean the garage or work at my work bench (which is directly in front).
BUT
I never summon without standing and looking right down the side and watching the clearance between the roller door and car mirror. Finger is ON the FOB the whole time if things go sideways.
Trust but verify.

I use it all the time to summon in and out of garage. It’s very convenient when I’m about to wash the car or clean the garage or work at my work bench (which is directly in front).
BUT
I never summon without standing and looking right down the side and watching the clearance between the roller door and car mirror. Finger is ON the FOB the whole time if things go sideways.
Trust but verify.

yeah I normally do too but time I was putting something in wife's car and was thinking it would be nice if the Tesla was out of garage.

It would be nice if an owner could specify a summon mode in which the car backs 20 feet or so without turns. I’m sure most of us pull straight into the garage so backing straight out should eliminate these problems.

Reactions: jlv1