Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi at $400,000.00?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s absolutely no way you’ll save 70k per year using it for 1 shift.
Please do a breakdown of how you got that high of a number
There is no way you've ever run a semi or you'd not even bother asking the question.

Our drivers will spend 120k on diesel a year. We'll spend less than 50k on electricity, we think we can negotiate that down to about 35k doing wholesale contracts night charging (80%). Our log trucks run about 500 miles a day, close to it. Heavy loads, high fuel consumption. 5mpg is about it. We run 6 days a week. For a regular fleet driver it will vary slightly. It depends on just how cheap they can charge them up at night. I bet down to .07 or .06 here in va.

The business case is just a no brainer. It might be $60k it might be $80. Who cares. It might be $40k for something like a Pepsi truck. Who cares. It is an absolute slam dunk the fuel savings pay for the truck and electricity.

Our log trucks run about 500 miles a day, close to it.

Each truck logs 500 miles a day ? Sounds like you will have to top off during day.
My casual arithmetic suggested that 350 miles a day might pencil out to $70k savings a year depending on electricity prices.

By the way, another relatively unsung economic benefit of switching fuels to electric is the hedge against diesel price spikes. You can mop the floor of any competitors during those periods when they jack their prices while you have a choice.

These companies would save Hundreds thousands of dollars of fuel a year. I thought there was a logging company that had a Fleet of Tesla Semis ordered
1670530499638.png

If there is absolutely no way, why waste his time asking for a breakdown ?
To see where his math is off?

There is no way you've ever run a semi or you'd not even bother asking the question.

Our drivers will spend 120k on diesel a year. We'll spend less than 50k on electricity, we think we can negotiate that down to about 35k doing wholesale contracts night charging (80%). Our log trucks run about 500 miles a day, close to it. Heavy loads, high fuel consumption. 5mpg is about it. We run 6 days a week. For a regular fleet driver it will vary slightly. It depends on just how cheap they can charge them up at night. I bet down to .07 or .06 here in va.

The business case is just a no brainer. It might be $60k it might be $80. Who cares. It might be $40k for something like a Pepsi truck. Who cares. It is an absolute slam dunk the fuel savings pay for the truck and electricity.
I’m sorry that my asking questions offended you so much, clearly no one should be asking questions unless they’re truck drivers.

my breakdown:

6mpg truck
100,000 miles per year
5.25 dollars per gallon

16,666 gallons of fuel would be burned at a cost of $87,496.5

For the Tesla semi

1.7kwh per mile
100,000 miles
.40 cents per kWh

170,000 kWh at 40 cents per kWh would be $68,000

That’s not taking into account the energy losses during charging and during idle time.

So I was just asking how they got to a 70k annual savings over 1 shift.

It'll be a while before long-haul trucking can convert due to the lack of Megachargers. The distribution center to store routes will be the first to convert and will charge up at a company Megacharger paying some crazy low wholesale electricity rate. Fueling on the road will be similar to Supercharger pricing: 3x residential costs. That is probably where the ~.40kWh figure came from although I suspect it might be a little lower than that.

Reactions: nativewolf
Yes there will be no over the road charging for years. Everything will be local and that is a huge amount of the truck fleet. They'll return every 10 hours and charge. I bet the night wholesale rate in texas could be down to $0.05 due to wind. The solar buildout in CA and TX could be similar low rates in mid afternoon.