Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Alignment Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quote from Tesla to do wheel alignment. Thoughts?

IMG_9350324702D9-1.jpeg

At an hourly rate of $275 per hour, that is not unreasonable. Remember that next time you are asking for service that they will charge you for. The wheels and alignment are nothing special. Any good wheel and alignment shop should be able to do the work.

Reactions: beatle
Ok. So it’s feasible that something is knocked out of whack or a wheel is bent.

They should have balanced the replacement already - you said Tesla did the repair.

You can get an alignment done anywhere. Call around for prices. I recently had mine done at an independent speed shop for around $225. But that was on the middle of nowhere so I don’t know how it would compare to you. Firestone near me is $125.

Tires balanced fkr free since I purchased them at Costco.

Last edited:
In theory, the State of Maryland will pay your property damage claim from a pothole accident. You just file a written claim to the Maryland Treasury Department. For more information on how to do this, you can call 410-260-7684 or 800-942-0162. Will it be worth the trouble????

Reactions: macgeng
At an hourly rate of $275 per hour, that is not unreasonable. Remember that next time you are asking for service that they will charge you for. The wheels and alignment are nothing special. Any good wheel and alignment shop should be able to do the work.
I dunno, both the rate and the labor hours seem high to me. My brother-in-law can set up the scales and string to do an alignment on my Chevy Duramax in about 25 minutes from start to finish (helped get the steering wheel back to center). America's Tire does my rotation and balance in less than 15 minutes. I suppose there's no sense in negotiating with Tesla Service Centers, but I think most of us who are more dollar-conscious would take their car somewhere else; however, some alignment shops might decline to work on Teslas for whatever reason.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I pay $250 to get a proper alignment to the point where they will shift the subframes around to ensure everything is equal. $275 at a service center just gets you somewhere "within spec", you can't specify what you want, and "within spec" is a pretty broad range. hard pass.

Reactions: macgeng and bkcyk
The rate is pretty standard Tesla (good God, it's now $275/hr!?) and the hours seem a little high for an alignment where you can only adjust toe in the the rear. I've had alignments take well over 2 hours, but that's on a car with adjustable rear camber as well, ballasting the driver's weight, corner weighting the car, and matching each corner to the "worst" side.

As @DerbyDave said, just take the car to a regular tire/alignment shop - don't pay Tesla's ransom if you don't have to.

Reactions: Sam1 and ATPMSD
Well, I remembered to put the car in Jack Mode and then Tire Discounters couldn't get the jack arms under the car on "normal" ride height, and I asked if they wanted me to raise it up to change the tires. They were amazed. Installing the new tires went fine. Then I remembered to put the suspension back on normal, turn off Jack Mode, and then put it into tow mode for the alignment. Besides removing underbody covers, the alignment went fine when I helped them which model I had, with air suspension, twin motor, long range plus. They had a bunch of modifiers for the selection on the alignment machine to be correct, so help them chose the correct one. There is no way they knew what to do for a Tesla or how to do it, but once you get them to the task at hand, there is no difference from any other car. Also, I had them torque lug nuts to 129 lb ft.

Reactions: ATPMSD