Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla Service Center Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never waited close to 60 days for an appointment, nor have I logged anything in. I suppose there is some skew due to the represented voice, similar to posting at TMC in general. Many satisfied owners just don't bother. I have noticed more frequent surveys from Tesla though, regarding satisfaction. Short of that, its difficult to access a well rounded sampling ....... unless you've got other thoughts. Or maybe 60 days is absolutely real, and it's the Irish in me bestowing all the luck
Those numbers definitely suffer from selection bias.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Those numbers definitely suffer from selection bias.
Maximum Plaid members have priority don't they?:)
Honestly, my longest wait was two weeks and that was to schedule my Ludicrous upgrade. I asked the SC, "when is convenient for you?" knowing I had no rush. Each time I have had anything I thought was important, including a routine service, I waited less than a week.
I understand that in some countries, Norway, for example, SC build-up was slower than car deliveries. I'm certain delays are quite concentrated geographically. Then there is the selection bias in self-reports. Complaints register higher than compliments. here, of course when we're satisfied we're called 'fanboys' or 'fangirls'. True enough: 91% intention to repurchase does suggest we're a happy bunch, mostly.

Reactions: Falkirk
Hi. There is not enough data to calculate average wait times for each country because very few people write about this. Therefore I pick the longest wait times people have reported. This way, it will be possible to monitor how the maximum wait times change over time. For example, in Q4 2016, I saw 60 days and 42 days mentioned. I picked 60 days.

USA wait times people have mentioned:
USA, Q2 2016: 35 days, 34 days
USA, Q3 2016: 49 days, 42 days, California 60 days
USA, Q4 2016: 60 days, 42 days

So far the longest USA wait times I have seen is 60 days. In the future, we will see how this is going to change. I will update this data at least until the end of 2018.

To clarify things, I have just changed "Reported wait times" to "Longest wait times" in the opening message.

As a long term investor, I have always felt Tesla had a good handle on everything except scaling Service Centers with growth and parts logistics. Very rarely are these weak points discussed. People seem to focus much more on Super Charger growth which I believe Tesla is going after aggressively.

The good news is the Model S and now especially the X are becoming much more reliable cars as they continually improve them over time and thus will need much less time in the service center with later and later models. Add to that the Model 3 is being designed with an emphasis on manufacturing ease and thus will probably need less post delivery tweaking in the service centers, and one could feel a little optimistic. But in my years of following Tesla, I can't seem to shake my concern with what Tesla customer satisfaction will look like projected 3 or so years out when 500,000 then 1,000,000 new cars a year need to be maintained.

My best guess is the first couple of years of the Model 3 will be ugly in this regard and then Musk will rally the troops and improve it significantly kind like they are with manufacturing right now. Once upon time I read in a thread that there is a special group within Tesla whos job is to look at scaling concerns. I hope they come through and Tesla does not have to resort to some kind of crisis management style in regards to service centers. Wouldn't it be nice if instead Tesla anticipates this growing pressure on service and makes the Model 3 owners even happier than us Roadster, S and X owners who, with our early adopter mindset, are for the most part really really happy.

Reactions: Falkirk

Great post. I'm just curious, why do you consider 750 to be the ideal number of Teslas / service center?

Great post. I'm just curious, why do you consider 750 to be the ideal number of Teslas / service center?

750 Teslas per service center is my best guess based on service delays related topics I have seen in the forum. At the end of 2014, the USA average was 753 Teslas per service center and people really didn't complain that much about delays. Delays started to become an issue in 2015. This 750 number assumes that service centers would be working only one shift. It is certainly possible to increase capacity by adding more shifts and more technicians. In fact, that's what Tesla is doing. However, I think it would be better to leave that option in place in case they need it when the Model 3 comes out and they are not able to build new service centers quickly enough. It looks like, service centers are now at full capacity and the assumption is that the Model 3 will be a reliable car and won't have too many service issues.

Last edited:
750 Teslas per service center is my best guess based on service delays related topics I have seen in the forum. At the end of 2014, the USA average was 753 Teslas per service center and people really didn't complain that much about delays. Delays started to become an issue in 2015. This 750 number assumes that service centers would be working only one shift. It is certainly possible to increase capacity by adding more shifts and more technicians. In fact, that's what Tesla is doing. However, I think it would be better to leave that option in place in case they need it when the Model 3 comes out and they are not able to build new service centers quickly enough. It looks like, service centers are now at full capacity and the assumption is that the Model 3 will be a reliable car and won't have too many service issues.
While I think you've done the best you can with the data you have available, I'll also add the caveat that delays were frequently a function of supply issues and not so much technician/vehicles in queue. I know my X was in service in 2016 multiple times for up to three weeks but wasn't being touched because it was waiting on parts. That's not a Service Center supply issue, that's a logistics issue. And I'll note that it appears to be a logistics issue that has been deftly addressed, as I haven't had that issue again lately.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and ChadS
While I think you've done the best you can with the data you have available, I'll also add the caveat that delays were frequently a function of supply issues and not so much technician/vehicles in queue. I know my X was in service in 2016 multiple times for up to three weeks but wasn't being touched because it was waiting on parts. That's not a Service Center supply issue, that's a logistics issue. And I'll note that it appears to be a logistics issue that has been deftly addressed, as I haven't had that issue again lately.

The wait times in the opening message show how far out the next available appointment is for non-emergency repairs or yearly maintenance. Let's say somebody calls a service center to book an appointment for yearly maintenance or minor issues and is told on the phone that the next available slot is 45 days out. That's exactly the kind of example I collect.

The links in the opening message next to "Longest appt wait times" are clickable in case people want to read them or you can read a summary of each of them below. These wait times have nothing to do with parts availability or how long it took to fix the car after it arrived at the service center. I scan the whole forum regularly to try to find these examples. I'm not sure if I get all of them but I try to. I have 14 examples for the USA.

Q3 '14 32 days "Service said that can only get me in after Oct. 1" (posted on 26 Aug 2014)
Q3 '14 55 days "I had to wait for almost 2 months for my yearly maintenance"
Q1 '15 45 days "Out here in CA non-emergency service appointments are 1.5 months out"
Q2 '15 44 days "Called the local service center, only to be told that the closest appt they have is end of July" (Posted on 16 July 2015)
Q3 '15 48 days "After three days of service dragging their feet, I finally was able to get a service appointment today for my 36K service. September 24th" (Posted on 6 Aug 2015)
Q4 '15 45 days "I'm in the middle of a 45 day wait for the first available appointment"
Q2 '16 35 days "I tried to schedule our S and Roadster into Burlingame back in April and they were booking 5-6 weeks out."
Q2 '16 34 days "I called on 8/22 and couldn't get an appointment till 9/26 - almost 5 weeks."
Q1 '16 32 days Yearly service: "we made the appointment over a month ago"
Q3 '16 49 days "called my San Diego Service Center for some Fit and Finish issues one week later on Sept 26th. I got my earliest appointment for November 10.....7 weeks wait!"
Q3 '16 42 days "6 week wait for an appointment"
Q3 '16 60 days "to get back in for service, the wait is another 2 months"
Q4 '16 60 days "it took 2 months for the appt"
Q4 '16 42 days "Currently waiting 6 weeks for service appointments here"

@ohmman, I'm close to adding you to my ignore list.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dhanson865
@ohmman, I'm close to adding you to my ignore list.
Oh no! Don't be close to adding me. The horror! I recommend jumping on the opportunity while it presents itself. I've proven to have very little value around here.

You seem to have issues with constructive criticism. I'm not conflating appointment delays with repair delays - they seem to me to be directly associated. But I'm sure you disagree.

• Funny
Reactions: Andyw2100
Oh no! Don't be close to adding me. The horror! I recommend jumping on the opportunity while it presents itself. I've proven to have very little value around here.

You seem to have issues with constructive criticism. I'm not conflating appointment delays with repair delays - they seem to me to be directly associated. But I'm sure you disagree.
+1

At least not newer Model S vehicles. Model Xs anecdotally seem to spend a decent amount of time in Service Centers.
I'm scared. I am purchasing an X via a recently opened store in Baltimore. I suspect the service center is just as recently opened and I fear that the people at the service center are just as inexperienced and lacking in knowledge as those in the store.

My X is currently on the road between a Tesla store in Atlanta and Baltimore. If there are no accidents, etc. it is expected to arrive at the store today. Should I keep a drone with a camera focused on the service center or an observant person with a good camera in place today to see how the delivery is handled?

I believe the core people at new service centers are experienced people from other locations transferred there. Many of the people at the service center may be new to Tesla, but most have experience with car repair and delivery and the management probably are experienced Tesla people.

The Portland Tesla store was among the first stores established, but in my experience most of the people in there are inexperienced too. When I did my test drive in the fall of 2015 the sales guy who took me on the drive was a recent college graduate in Mechanical Engineering from my alma mater (Cal Poly SLO) and he was working at the store for a few months between college and grad school and he hoped to get hired on as an engineer after grad school.

I think there are probably others at the stores who are doing it because it got their foot in the Tesla door and they are hoping to move on to something else in the company. I've only been to the Portland store 3-4 times, but each time I've been there I've seen different people.

The Portland service center on the other hand has a fairly stable staff. There has been a bit of turnover (I think mostly due to transfers to other SCs), but the core people have been there since my first visit. I only dealt with the delivery people once and they are in an annex down the street. I don't know if they have had a lot of turnover or not.

I wouldn't worry too much about delivery being screwed up due to inexperience. What was most frustrating for me was it took them 6 days to prep the car after it arrived at the local SC. But that was at the height of the MX problems in June 2016. When I took delivery there were MX parked everywhere under going extra inspections. My car is an S, but the X backup was causing delays for everyone.

I believe the core people at new service centers are experienced people .... My car is an S, but the X backup was causing delays for everyone.

My biggest concern is what goes on behind closed doors and so I realized an outside camera would not be that helpful.
The OA told me I would not be permitted to enter a bay in the service area.

I had not asked to do so. My request was to be allowed to visually inspect the car while it was on a lift before I would complete the purchase.

Obfuscation abounds at that Tesla location!

Back in March he was banned, I'm not sure for what, though there was some flap about Dislikes. It wasn't sure if he was suspended for a time or banned for life. His old posts said "Banned" instead of "Active Member" for a while so it may have been either a suspension or he appealed to the moderators and got restated.

If it was a suspension it's possible the suspension was up and he's moved on to other things. So his account is active again, but he's not checking it.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Troy and SureValla
That's news, Troy's profile page says Active member. What did Troy do? Any backup handle?

He still posts to reddit as u/Teslike (where downvotes don't name who downvoted him) and model3ownersclub (where downvotes don't exist) but he doesn't post here because people that disagree with him cause him too much stress.

His inaccuracies can go uncorrected over at m3oc and will be downvoted on reddit as needed.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Troy