Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Tesla shares sink as car deliveries drop'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of us put our money behind our beliefs, but none of us would be foolish enough to give it to your Son :)
I have a great investment opportunity for all true Elon believers. On a recent investor call Elon stated that "existing Teslas will increase in value as self-driving capabilities are added via software, and will be worth up to $250,000 within three years". He also stated that robo taxis are coming in ~2 years. So, here is you way to make huge money. My son needs a car. You buy a Model 3 today. You pocket the federal rebate. You give it to my son to drive for 3 years or until tobo taxis come (whichever comes first).
FAHAHAHA, true dat!

Is this the best money-grubbing scheme you can think of whitex?

I had to earn money to buy my own first car. So did my sons. Why did you not teach your son personal responsibility?

I have a great investment opportunity for all true Elon believers. On a recent investor call Elon stated that "existing Teslas will increase in value as self-driving capabilities are added via software, and will be worth up to $250,000 within three years". He also stated that robo taxis are coming in ~2 years. So, here is you way to make huge money. My son needs a car. You buy a Model 3 today. You pocket the federal rebate. You give it to my son to drive for 3 years or until tobo taxis come (whichever comes first). I insure it, pay for registration and maintenance. So you pay ~$45K today, in 2-3 years you get your car back, now worth up to $250K. Should be a no-brainer investment, if you believe Elon. If there are many takers, my son has friends willing to drive Model 3's for potential investors.

Any takers? Let's see how many people are willing to put their money behind their beliefs in Elon. @Zextraterrestrial, it sounds like you might be a true believer. ;)
I’ll think about it. Don’t have any kids and personally want a 3 for myself but my ‘12 S is great. Kind of short on cash too otherwise I’d be racing a P3 in autocross too.

You’re missing the point. It’s not at all about things going wrong, because they inevitably will. It’s about how Tesla handles it when they do go wrong. That’s the actually terrible and completely dissatisfying part. To the point that I will also leave the brand once legit competition shows up, if issues aren’t fixed.

I’ve been waiting for some autopilot parts for 3 months now. Absolutely insane and inexcusable. At least I can drive my car. What about the people that can’t drive their cars, but are also waiting this long or longer? So yeah, I hope you keep having your good streak, no one deserves this bullshit from Tesla.
Ya, happened with bmw 5 series and a new 4 runner too, months for a unfixed & undiagnosed problem on the BMW
Tesla handles stuff that goes wrong pretty damn well for where they are respectively

But
What does any of this have to do with the OP?

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Similar situation is happening already. In NYC a person can purchase a used Prius for about $15,000. Paint it Yellow Cab color and slap an official Medallion on it and it instantly is worth over $100,000. That is because the car can now be used for transporting people for a fee.

Medallions are not worth as much now, due to saturation and recent Uber/Lyft innovation.

Point being is that once a vehicle can be used to charge paying customers it's value can increase tremendously. The price of the car does not need to go up, just the value. If the car can transport paying customers, and do so without paying the cab driver, the profits will be even greater.

Ya, happened with bmw 5 series and a new 4 runner too, months for a unfixed & undiagnosed problem on the BMW
Tesla handles stuff that goes wrong pretty damn well for where they are respectively

But
What does any of this have to do with the OP?

If you read the post again, one the OPs possible reasons on the list was " Could this be because word has gotten around about parts shortages and months for service? "

I've had 3 Audis and two Mercedes and have been on their forums as well. I don't recall there being nearly as much dissatisfaction about service or parts issues as I see on this and other Model S forums. I could be wrong and honestly hope I am. Try calling auto body shops in your area and ask them about their experience with repairing Teslas vs any other car.

Tesla shares sink as car deliveries drop
"In the fourth quarter, Tesla delivered 13,500 Model S models and 14,050 Model Xs.

"But in the first quarter, that dropped to a combined 12,100 cars (my emphasis), which analysts at banking group RBC said was 'very disappointing'
."

Honestly, the vast majority of us never wanted to see this. Is it permanent or temporary? What an incredible crash in deliveries of S and X.

Could this be because word has gotten around about parts shortages and months for service? Could it be that those who can afford these cars are spooked about not being able to get service from their trusted local mechanic after warranty because of restrictions on software and other necessary tools. And PARTS?! Could this be because of the high cost of repairs resulting in high insurance?

Could this be the cows finally coming home to roost? I hope not, but this sure looks bad to me. At this tenuous moment when they need to raise capital, sales suddenly drop precipitously, just as they stop the referral program? So they blame the referral program and hurredly reinstate it?

No, it is not the referral program. It is the chronic agonizing shortage of parts and restriction of vital tools to repair these cars, a practice not dared by any other car manufacturer, if we're being real about it. Oh, they had a loss last quarter mainly due to a paydown. But this drop in sales is a whole 'nother animal, in case no one else noticed.

I really hope this is not what it looks like. Don't let it be so. An interior refresh is nahahot going to fix what is wrong here, and has been for years. I don't do stocks, but $420 is now a dream.

Hello! Excited to join the TMC! I love my Tesla S and so much more about the brand. My service experience here in Norway is least to say disappointing - no replies; different statements; very expensive; months of waiting. And the worst - no service options. Prices here of the S out of warranty is drastically falling because of this and can imagine many people think same.

Reactions: darxsys
Hello! Excited to join the TMC! I love my Tesla S and so much more about the brand. My service experience here in Norway is least to say disappointing - no replies; different statements; very expensive; months of waiting. And the worst - no service options. Prices here of the S out of warranty is drastically falling because of this and can imagine many people think same.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope things improve for you. I know from a past experience that Tesla does read these forums and I would encourage anyone to post their disappointing experiences regardless of what the Kool aid drinkers say.

Reactions: croman and darxsys
FAHAHAHA, true dat!

Is this the best money-grubbing scheme you can think of whitex?

I had to earn money to buy my own first car. So did my sons. Why did you not teach your son personal responsibility?
I didn't come up with with, just riding along Elon's grand plan. If you think what Elon is saying is a money-grabbing scheme, don't participate. My son has plenty of personal responsibility, what I am proposing is a deal that is a win-win for everyone, assuming Elon is right and cars will be worth $250K in 2-3 years. So, if Elon is right, this is not money grabbing scheme. If people end up losing money, the blame is solidly on Elon, not on me, I just tried to help people make money.

It sounds to me like you are accusing Elon of being a conman or at the very least delusional and incompetent (the only way what I propose could be seen as a money grabbing scheme). So which one is it?

Last edited:
I’ll think about it. Don’t have any kids and personally want a 3 for myself but my ‘12 S is great. Kind of short on cash too otherwise I’d be racing a P3 in autocross too.
If you believe Elon, racing that P3 in autocross is an investment which will make you money. You could sell the '12 S since it's not FSD capable and get the M3 which will be worth up to $250K in 2-3 years! I don't see how you can afford not to, unless of course you doubt Elon. ;)

Similar situation is happening already. In NYC a person can purchase a used Prius for about $15,000. Paint it Yellow Cab color and slap an official Medallion on it and it instantly is worth over $100,000. That is because the car can now be used for transporting people for a fee.

Medallions are not worth as much now, due to saturation and recent Uber/Lyft innovation.

Point being is that once a vehicle can be used to charge paying customers it's value can increase tremendously. The price of the car does not need to go up, just the value. If the car can transport paying customers, and do so without paying the cab driver, the profits will be even greater.
The value of the car is what you can sell it for. Using your example, if the Prius with medallion could be sold for $100K, it doesn't mean the Prius by itself is worth that much. You're paying mostly for the medallion. If you put a million dollars in cash in the trunk, I bet it's value would be over a million! It doesn't mean that Toyota can claim the Prius is an appreciating asset, just because you can put cash in the trunk and sell it for more than new.

So, the only way a Tesla can be an appreciating asset is for their prices to keep going. A used Tesla is never going to have a value higher than a new price, unless it has something the new one does not (like $200K in the frunk).

Elon stated that "existing Teslas will increase in value as self-driving capabilities are added via software, and will be worth up to $250,000 within three years".
So to help achieve this perceived value appreciation goal why did Tesla back in February pull the rug out from underneath us all and drop the RRP across the board? In some countries dropping the drive away price by nearly 50%, I repeat, nearly 50% drop! Stupid statement from Elon, nothing more.

So to help achieve this perceived value appreciation goal why did Tesla back in February pull the rug out from underneath us all and drop the RRP across the board? In some countries dropping the drive away price by nearly 50%, I repeat, nearly 50% drop! Stupid statement from Elon, nothing more.
Hey, I am not arguing whether Elon is right or full of hot air. I'm just noticing there are a bunch of people on this forum who believe Elon and are willing to defend his statements how Tesla is an appreciating asset. I'm just offering those people a chance to make some good money based on their belief that Elon is right. No different that folks selling options on the stock market.

I could even insure your life if I want to (would need to know who you are of course), nothing illegal about it. You are not even required to know about policies people take out on your life (you don't pay premiums, you don't receive the benefit).
Two words: Insurable interest. You are right about car insurance, wrong about life insurance. Besides, if you did this and the person croaked, you'd be the prime suspect. ;)

Two words: Insurable interest. You are right about car insurance, wrong about life insurance. Besides, if you did this and the person croaked, you'd be the prime suspect. ;)
When I worked for a startup a while back ago, the company had a life insurance on my. I didn't know about it until some time later it came up in some random conversation. I didn't sign anything acknowledging it either, and my family was no the beneficiary - the company was (or investors, I don't recall specifics). I was told it was standard practice to take out life insurance on key employees. So, I guess they had insurable interest. I own two Teslas, do I have insurable interest to take out a policy on Elon? What if I own stock in a company, can I take a life insurance out on their employees?

Anyhow, besides the point, as you acknowledge, it works for car insurance in what I was proposing.

The value of the car is what you can sell it for. Using your example, if the Prius with medallion could be sold for $100K, it doesn't mean the Prius by itself is worth that much. You're paying mostly for the medallion. If you put a million dollars in cash in the trunk, I bet it's value would be over a million! It doesn't mean that Toyota can claim the Prius is an appreciating asset, just becau
Agree with that.

So, the only way a Tesla can be an appreciating asset is for their prices to keep going. A used Tesla is never going to have a value higher than a new price, unless it has something the new one does not (like $200K in the frunk).
Disagree with this. It is not that a used Tesla is worth more than a new one, it is that both of them have the ability to generate profit. Once the software is in place, the older car does increase in value as does the new one. A car that can be a robo-taxi on the side is worth more than one that cannot. Once Teslas can be upgraded to robo-taxis, their worth (both older retrofit and new) increases.

SmartSelect_20190505-205006_Firefox.jpg

Disagree with this. It is not that a used Tesla is worth more than a new one, it is that both of them have the ability to generate profit. Once the software is in place, the older car does increase in value as does the new one. A car that can be a robo-taxi on the side is worth more than one that cannot. Once Teslas can be upgraded to robo-taxis, their worth (both older retrofit and new) increases.
That is what I've been saying. Since as you said, used Tesla with FSD is not worth more than a new Tesla with FSD, if the used one is worth $250K, the new one must be selling for at least that much. So, if Elon is right, the MSRP for Model 3 will be up to $250K in 2-3 years - no way around it. If Tesla is still selling new ones with FSD for $40K, there is no way you can claim the old one is worth more than the new one.

PS> If your argument is that Tesla is selling something worth $250K for only $40K, guess what, by selling it at $40K they are lowering it's worth. If anyone can buy a new one for $40K, nobody would pay that or more for the old one, therefore the old one's value is less. Monetary value of any good is based on what someone is willing to pay for said good, usually assessed by average selling price. Nothing is every worth more than what you can easily buy it for.

Last edited: