Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla software rollout strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is that customers should be treated equally.

They are. All customers get firmware updates when Tesla releases them to that customer's particular car based on their own deployment and software development needs.

It's staggering to me that so many people think their fabricated entitlement to receive the latest software release the second it's available is more important than Tesla's desire to not brick a few hundred thousand cars with a botched OTA rollout.

Watch the trends, it's getting to be very predictable. "The fleet" at large gets a new software release about every 8 weeks. If you're within a 2 month window of not receiving a new release, that's 100% normal and expected, not Tesla shaming you for failing to say your 10 Hail Elons every morning.

100s of cars on teslafi.com alone are still on 2107.50.x, with the rollout having slowed down significantly. Either the update is so bad that they should downgrade the other 80% of the cars - or it should be good enough for the 20%, too.

I take it you're not fond of shades of gray... your life must be very stressful if you view everything as all or nothing.

Setting aside the fact that this is clearly not an either/or, Tesla has no ability to downgrade, and there are very good technical reasons not to support this.

[Moderator note (bmah): The initial 37 posts in this thread were moved from a discussion of software 2018.6.1.]

Don't call Tesla to push an update. Unless you have a major issue that you know is fixed later, or your version is ridiculously old.

Most people are still on 17.50.2 or 17.50.3. There is no reason to nag them yet. It's understandable they don't want 27277371 phones a day at every SC asking for an update.

Unfortunately, it is possible for cars to fail to update, without any notification to the owner that this has happened.

Our S 100D received the latest update yesterday - without any notification to my smartphone app that the update was available or that the update had installed. However, our S P85 did generate notifications about yesterday's update.

Our S 100D failed to install an update last fall (while it was stored in a public multistory garage during Harvey). When we got the car back, I noticed we weren't receiving updates when many others reported online their cars had been updated. I called Tesla - they looked at the car's logs and found updates had been pushed to the car and failed multiple times, and our car had been moved to a "do not send updates" list on the server, and that we'd have to take the car to the local Service Center before any updates would be sent to the car. This happened without any notifications to our smartphone app or on the car's onboard console. If we hadn't called Tesla, we wouldn't have known about this, and wouldn't have received an update until the next service visit.

Only Tesla knows the algorithm they are using for the order and frequency of release distribution to their cars, so customers are left guessing as to when they'll receive the next release or if their car is having some problem receiving updates (which might be due to home networking issues - and not even in the car).

One way for Tesla to know this is an issue is by having customers contact customer support to determine the status of updates for their cars. If a car hasn't seen an update for 3 months or longer, it's not unreasonable to place a call and verify there isn't a problem distributing an update.

But, probably not worth contacting them sooner than that, since even if Tesla pushes a major update to every car, it can take several months for that update to be distributed to all cars.

If a car hasn't seen an update for 3 months or longer, it's not unreasonable to place a call and verify there isn't a problem distributing an update.

But, probably not worth contacting them sooner than that, since even if Tesla pushes a major update to every car, it can take several months for that update to be distributed to all cars.

Yeah, this ^ I agree with completely. If you have been left way behind the pack, give them a call and see if anything is wrong. But these forums are full of people complaining of being "left behind" when they are on a version that 30% of the fleet is still on. Some people aren't happy if they're not in the 5% that got the most recent version.

Reactions: RedOctober
I would think that failed updates are reported back to the mothership. It would make sense that the system automatically retry a few times. Then if a car falls significantly behind, someone notices it and does action OTA or schedules a service appointment to fix it.

By significantly behind I mean you are now still on 2018.36. Being on version 2018.50 now along with 30% of the rest is not being left behind.