Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla software rollout strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Moderator note (bmah): The initial 37 posts in this thread were moved from a discussion of software 2018.6.1.]

Don't call Tesla to push an update. Unless you have a major issue that you know is fixed later, or your version is ridiculously old.

Most people are still on 17.50.2 or 17.50.3. There is no reason to nag them yet. It's understandable they don't want 27277371 phones a day at every SC asking for an update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't call Tesla to push an update. Unless you have a major issue that you know is fixed later, or your version is ridiculously old.

Most people are still on 17.50.2 or 17.50.3. There is no reason to nag them yet. It's understandable they don't want 27277371 phones a day at every SC asking for an update.

Yep. And there is nothing going on with recent minor updates that anyone should be losing sleep over.

All this version fixation is mostly just a bunch of nonsense that people with no patience are making an issue out of. If you have a problem with your vehicle, by all means bring that up. But all this complaining and whining about not being on the latest firmware, and not getting enough updates is getting pretty ridiculous.

I have the intermittent front sensor problem and that wasn’t enough for them to push an update. I’m on 50.3 and the SC said 2018.6 solved the problem. Apparently neither it nor 6.1 do so would have been a waste of time anyway!

I think the fact that features (and bug fixes) are held back by Tesla from parts of it's customer base IS a majour issue.

You are looking at it backward. The guys that get the updates earlier aren't getting features that are being held back from the rest of the customers. They're acting as beta testers for software that isn't ready for release yet. There are plenty of horror stories from those beta testers of serious problems they've encountered as a result of being so "lucky".

When a release is tested and ready for wide release, it gets widely released. If it's not yet widely released, it's still not fully tested/validated. Do you *really* want to be a beta tester for immature software on your 4,000 lb self-guided missile?

You are looking at it backward. The guys that get the updates earlier aren't getting features that are being held back from the rest of the customers. They're acting as beta testers for software that isn't ready for release yet.

Not true. There is a separate beta test group, called early access. They get the odd version numbers like 2018.5.

There are plenty of horror stories from those beta testers of serious problems they've encountered as a result of being so "lucky".

The updates are still installed manually. Nobody is forced to press "Install".

When a release is tested and ready for wide release, it gets widely released. If it's not yet widely released, it's still not fully tested/validated. Do you *really* want to be a beta tester for immature software on your 4,000 lb self-guided missile?

Yes, I do want that.

Not true. There is a separate beta test group, called early access. They get the odd version numbers like 2018.5.

Look, you can call it beta or you can call it "release", but these are just labels. The point is that Tesla is not confident that it's ready for wide release or else they would release it widely. I mean, do you think they're just doing this to be jerks? Think about this -- if Tesla isn't confident something is ready for wide release -- Tesla I'm talking about, a company notorious for releasing things well before other car companies would consider them ready -- I think we should just effing believe them that it's not ready for wide release. Seriously.

Look, you can call it beta or you can call it "release", but these are just labels. The point is that Tesla is not confident that it's ready for wide release or else they would release it widely. I mean, do you think they're just doing this to be jerks? Think about this -- if Tesla isn't confident something is ready for wide release -- Tesla I'm talking about, a company notorious for releasing things well before other car companies would consider them ready -- I think we should just effing believe them that it's not ready for wide release. Seriously.

They would be jerks if they send the update to more an 1/3 of it's costumer base while not being confident that it's safe.

They probably are just indifferent by not sending the updates to more than 1/3 of their customer base while the others got updates.

They would be jerks if they send the update to more an 1/3 of it's costumer base while not being confident that it's safe.

They probably are just indifferent by not sending the updates to more than 1/3 of their customer base while the others got updates.

Yes, my screen rebooted probably 4 different times since the update. That never was a problem before. Even happened last night when I was driving to the airport. Super annoying

@StefanSarzio do you suppose the above problem being reported by a significant fraction of 2018.6.1 users might possibly be a non-jerky reason to not roll out to the whole fleet? Do you think that perhaps the fact that they regularly have issues like this even after rolling out to 1/3 of the fleet -- that they don't seem to be able to reliably detect/fix problems before rolling out to 1/3 of the fleet -- might be a good justification for their policy of phased rollouts?

Phased rollouts are simply the best way to roll out software if you have the option of doing it this way. Many, many software companies roll out in this way -- Google rolls out Android updates like this for example.

I heard a trick and it worked for me lol. I called and asked about getting a forced update. I know they wouldn't do it unless you have 2 failed. But Supposedly it will trigger a pushed update in a day or two. And couple days later I got a update. Maybe im just lucky

They being the service center, actually the service advisor ... hope he's not making things up :p

That's the usual Tesla talk. Just ignore it. They know less than many on this forum. They've been saying this stuff for 1y2m now. Remember my service and sales staff said my late Dec 2016 AP 2 would have all the features of my Ap1 test drive on delivery or within a week of that. Still waiting.....