Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you'll find the Merc 3d visualisation is just using the simple 3d database that many other cars also use, which is why it doesn't work in suburbs.

VERY different from what Tesla are doing, much prefer that Tesla are working on things much more useful.

I think you'll find the Merc 3d visualisation is just using the simple 3d database that many other cars also use, which is why it doesn't work in suburbs.

VERY different from what Tesla are doing, much prefer that Tesla are working on things much more useful.
given the tesla issues with cruise control, spontaneous braking, and the voice system, could you enlighten me what the more useful things are that tesla are working on?

Just got to look at the rate of progress. I've run software companies and I can tell you the rate of innovation at Tesla is out of this world.

Cruise control works very well and just got to look at what is happening the the US to see how well things are progressing. Sure we are behind here, but I understand that much of that is due to local regulators. Given they've been given the green light to test newer versions of FSD Beta here and have been doing so for some time now, I expect we will start to catch up soon.

Spontaneous braking happens in all cars with AEB systems, I've had full on braking in Mazda, Toyota, BMW... Most of the "phantom braking" reported for Tesla are just a slow down, which if you drive on AP/EAP/FSD the way you are supposed to, you catch before it slows more than 5 or so km/h and is zero issue. Yep it can be a problem (but greatly exaggerated), but clearly it is improving if you pay attention to any of the development progress in the US, which will make their way out here.

Voice control works perfectly, much better than other vehicles I have owned. Trick is to set it to British English, but even before I did that, I had no problems where other vehicles I have owned might have worked fine with basic commands but as soon as you try to do any street names, etc, they are hopeless. I have been able to do some very obscure street names with the Tesla with zero issues.

Tesla have constantly proved 'experts' wrong and turned the industry on it's head time and time again with revolutionary technological advances. The fact that Elon has been able to not only do this at Tesla but in multiple industries at the same time mean that I'll put a lot more faith in him and his companies than some random group of negative Nancy's on the internet.

• Funny
Reactions: bay74
Just got to look at the rate of progress. I've run software companies and I can tell you the rate of innovation at Tesla is out of this world.

Cruise control works very well and just got to look at what is happening the the US to see how well things are progressing. Sure we are behind here, but I understand that much of that is due to local regulators. Given they've been given the green light to test newer versions of FSD Beta here and have been doing so for some time now, I expect we will start to catch up soon.

Spontaneous braking happens in all cars with AEB systems, I've had full on braking in Mazda, Toyota, BMW... Most of the "phantom braking" reported for Tesla are just a slow down, which if you drive on AP/EAP/FSD the way you are supposed to, you catch before it slows more than 5 or so km/h and is zero issue. Yep it can be a problem (but greatly exaggerated), but clearly it is improving if you pay attention to any of the development progress in the US, which will make their way out here.

Voice control works perfectly, much better than other vehicles I have owned. Trick is to set it to British English, but even before I did that, I had no problems where other vehicles I have owned might have worked fine with basic commands but as soon as you try to do any street names, etc, they are hopeless. I have been able to do some very obscure street names with the Tesla with zero issues.

Tesla have constantly proved 'experts' wrong and turned the industry on it's head time and time again with revolutionary technological advances. The fact that Elon has been able to not only do this at Tesla but in multiple industries at the same time mean that I'll put a lot more faith in him and his companies than some random group of negative Nancy's on the internet.
@paulp is hardly a negative nancy, on this forum he is one of the few qualified to comment on Tesla vs Merc EQE (hint: he owns both)….like Paul we have both own multiple Tesla’s (and still do) and from the very early days.

Will Tesla get it right? As a stock holder I hope so, as an end user waiting 5 years to get on par with other auto’s (one mobile eye was pulled) seems excessive to me…hey working windscreen wipers would also be nice.

But hey, I am just a negative Nancy right?

@paulp is hardly a negative nancy, on this forum he is one of the few qualified to comment on Tesla vs Merc EQE (hint: he owns both)….like Paul we have both own multiple Tesla’s (and still do) and from the very early days.

Will Tesla get it right? As a stock holder I hope so, as an end user waiting 5 years to get on par with other auto’s (one mobile eye was pulled) seems excessive to me…hey working windscreen wipers would also be nice.

But hey, I am just a negative Nancy right?
making any form of factual negative comment about tesla seems to upset a few people…even worse is stating that another brand has something more advanced than tesla.

making any form of factual negative comment about tesla seems to upset a few people…even worse is stating that another brand has something more advanced than tesla.

Zero issue with highlighting issues and looking for improvements in certain areas, every one of your posts seems to have an overt negative bias though, along with severe exaggerations.

Couple that with claims made as absolute statements of fact that things won't be fixed, implemented, etc because "internet told me so", despite ample evidence to the contrary, destroys your creidibility completely.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: EcoCloudIT
Zero issue with highlighting issues and looking for improvements in certain areas, every one of your posts seems to have an overt negative bias though, along with severe exaggerations.

Couple that with claims that things won't be fixed, implemented, etc because "internet told me so" destroys your creidibility completely.
yeah thats not worth responding to….personal attacks are just not appropriate

There is no personal attack. You demanded I enlighten you when I asked if you had any reliable source for your wild claim so I did, along with an observation on the negative nature of your posts when you decided to be argumentative. That is not a personal attack.

Last edited:
Interesting views from Jules above and I Have to comment - phantom braking is not always a "slow down". I've had my M3 full-on brake a number of times because Tesla Vision has seen something while on the highway, and if I'd had a car behind me at the time it'd have gone up my clacka at that speed. I have little faith in my M3's cruise control, and even had a passenger ask me to turn it off after a few incidents on a long drive.

Now let me get onto Tesla Vision. I watched Ludicrous Speed's review of Vision vs ultasonic sensors and frankly I wouldn't trust a car with Vision-only for parking (like the M3 Highland). If it wasn't for the Supercharger network, I'd be seriously looking for a different EV to update to in 2024.

Last edited:
Interesting views from Jules above and I Have to comment - phantom braking is not always a "slow down". I've had my M3 full on brake a number of times because Tesla Vision has seen something while on the highway, and if I'd had a car behind me at the time it'd have gone up my clacka. I have little faith in my M3's cruise control, and even had a passenger ask me to turn it of after a few incidents on a long drive.
For sure, I did not say ALL phantom braking, but as I said, I have had that in many other vehicles with AED as well. Definitely something that can be improved and I know it has and is improving.

Re parking sensors, zero concern for me, I've never relied fully on any parking sensor and nor should you. Again clearly they've got a fairly major implementation coming here though which I am very keen to try out. Definintely an area for improvement like I acknowledged, but in no way a deal breaker for me, and I suspect most given the high re-purchase rate that Tesla have.

it has and is improving.
It has been worse for me for the last couple of updates. It seems to be more sensitive to a car just in front of me moving towards the edge of their lane. It would be better if it's first response was to move over itself and before braking.

Edit: although I'm not sure if this counts as phantom braking as I can see the reason for it. It's overly conservative, annoying and more common than it used to be.

It has been worse for me for the last couple of updates. It seems to be more sensitive to a car just in front of me moving towards the edge of their lane. It would be better if it's first response was to move over itself and before braking.

Not sure I'd agree with that. A sudden lane change in that situation would be much more dangerous and would be a much bigger shock for the driver.

A slow down which is what I've had in that situation is very appropriate IMHO and THEN if it's on FSD a safe lane change if necessary.

.....Cruise control works very well and just got to look at what is happening the the US to see how well things are progressing. Sure we are behind here, but I understand that much of that is due to local regulators.

My experience yesterday:
Good conditions in a straight, well-marked 60kph road with no traffic in either direction for hundreds of metres. The car showed the current speed zone correctly. Activating TACC showed the target speed as 60kph. The car slowed progressively to just above 30kph until I finally intervened with the throttle. That is just one example for the cruise control working less well than other vehicles from manufacturers who make less of a fuss about their supposedly amazing software.

I am not sure how local regulations could have any bearing on that, but I can say that the '22 Hyundai Kona EV does it better, and that would not be expected from claims way the two companies make in their marketing.

Voice control works perfectly, much better than other vehicles I have owned. Trick is to set it to British English

Your experience is very different from mine. On the one hand, I am old enough to be impressed that any computer can understand speech. On the other hand, my Tesla frequently guesses street names wrong. When it does translate a common-sense voice command correctly, there is a very high chance of it interpreting it as a completely different instruction (it does consistently get fan speed instructions right). It is a long, long way from "perfect".

than some random group of negative Nancy's on the internet.
If you are going to deny indulging in personal attacks, you might do well to refrain from the name-calling.

Not sure I'd agree with that. A sudden lane change in that situation would be much more dangerous and would be a much bigger shock for the driver.

A slow down which is what I've had in that situation is very appropriate IMHO and THEN if it's on FSD a safe lane change if necessary.
I'm not suggesting a sudden lane change, just moving over a little within it current lane to create a bit more space to the offending vehicle. This will create time, during which the other vehicle will mostly demonstrate that it's staying in its lane, avoiding the need for sudden braking.

I'm not suggesting a sudden lane change, just moving over a little within it current lane to create a bit more space to the offending vehicle. This will create time, during which the other vehicle will mostly demonstrate that it's staying in its lane, avoiding the need for sudden braking.
Ok yes when you said move over I misunderstood your meaning. Yes I'd agree with that provided you weren't closing with the vehicle ahead and there was a decent gap.

Last edited: