Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates for Model 3 New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.36 is starting to rollout..and with this comes the ability to tap on the speedo to set the Cruise speed to the current speed you're traveling at. No more having to scroll the wheel down furiously to correct an out of date speed limit :)

However, for the Americans they also get speed sign recognition...we'll likely get that in a few updates later on.

looks like this is what to expect with 2020.36 for NZ
No detecting speed limit signs

Autosteer Stop Sign and Stop Light Warning
Your car may warn you in some cases if it detects that you are about to run a stop sign or stop light while Autosteer is in use. This is not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car.

Green Traffic Light Chime
A chime will play when the traffic light you are waiting for turns green. If you are waiting behind another car, the chime will play once the car advances unless Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer is active. When Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is activated, a chime will play when you can confirm to proceed through a green traffic light. To enable, tap
Controls > Autopilot > Green Traffic Light Chime.

Cruise Set Speed Improvements
Quickly adjust the Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer set speed to the current speed by simply tapping the cluster speedometer. You can still tap the speed limit sign to adjust the set speed to the speed limit.

Only the US gets the speed sign recognition in this update. We're actually doing better than Europe though... they only recently got the traffic light/stop sign FSD feature whereas we've had it for a few months now.

Also, the Chime on Green light functionality is FSD only.

Only the US gets the speed sign recognition in this update.

Not according to 2020.36 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates

There it says:

Available in these countries…

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Switzerland
Czechia
Germany
Denmark
Estonia
Spain
Finland
France
United Kingdom
Gibraltar
Greece
Croatia
Hungary
Ireland
Iceland
Italy
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Latvia
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Sweden
Slovenia
Slovakia
Turkey
USA

As yet this update doesn't look like it's been rolled out to any European countries yet. So far it's only released in North America and Australasia. We won't know for sure if it's available to those countries until it starts showing up there.

no camera road sign speed detection for NZ

2020.36.10 release notes

Traffic light and Stop Sign Control (Beta)
The Traffic light and Stop Sign Control feature no longer requires explicit driver confirmation of pulling the Autopilot stalk to continue through green traffic lights when there is a lead vehicle ahead of you. The stop line in the driving visualization will now turn green to indicate that the car will continue through an intersection

Please continue to pay attention and be ready to take immediate action, including braking because this feature may not stop for all traffic controls. This feature will not attempt to turn through intersections but over time as we continue to learn from the fleet, the feature will control more naturally

Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) Exit Passing Lane

While Navigate on Autopilot is activated your car can now remain in the passing lane. To adjust your passing lane preference tap Controls > Autopilot > CUSTOMIZE NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT > EXIT PASSING LANE

Green Traffic Light Chime

A chime will play when the traffic light you are waiting for turns green. If you are waiting behind another car , the chime will play once the car advances unless Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer is active. When Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is activated, a chime will play when you can confirm to proceed through a green traffic light. To enable, tap Controls > Autopilot > Green Traffic Light Chime

Note: This chime is only designed as a notification. It is the driver's responsibility to observe their environment and make decisions accordingly

Autosteer Stop Sign and Stop light warning

Your car may warn you in some cases if it detects that you are about to run a stop sign or stop light while Autosteer is in use. This is not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car

Cruise Set Speed Improvements

Quickly adjust the Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer set speed to the current speed by simply tapping the cluster speedometer. You can still tap the speed limit sign to adjust the set speed to the speed limit

Reactions: M109Rider
Been for a short drive on 2020.40.3, didn't come across any speed limit signs
Did see speed hump sign with 25km that wasn't recognized
looked a bit like this
Z-WDO-1.jpg

Hopefully these types of signs are recognized with future software updates
I don't fancy AP flying over speed humps at 50km

I installed it yesterday. It recognised the 60 sign at the bottom of the road and the 30 on the way back. However it forgot it was in the 60 zone while I was parked at tennis and reverted to the 70 on the map rather than the 60 it recognised on the trip there. Another plus it's it switched to the recognised speed just before it reached the sign. Things are improving

I installed it yesterday. It recognised the 60 sign at the bottom of the road and the 30 on the way back. However it forgot it was in the 60 zone while I was parked at tennis and reverted to the 70 on the map rather than the 60 it recognised on the trip there. Another plus it's it switched to the recognised speed just before it reached the sign. Things are improving
It sounds like a good improvement
Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out tomorrow
I did see the speed limit signs appearing today, but I didn't try AP
Interesting observation, the car forgetting the 60km limit

I tried out the new update thinking it would make my travel into Town a little easier. Heading north on Highway one, the very first speed sign it came to it ignored. It was a 70km/Hr speed limit going through Makikihi. Two big green rectangular signs, one each side of the road, you could not miss it really. The car did pick up the 100K sign leaving the township. It is a pity though that the car does not speed up and you have to try and hit the little speed sign on the screen to get the speed changed. Be nice of you could just flick the lever on the steering column to reset the speed. The next town is St Andrews and the car did pick up the 70Km/Hr road sign there.

The camera does seem to pick up the road signs a little late. Not sure if the car is short sighted or what, maybe I should call the car Mr Magoo. I also think that the algorithm used is American based as the speed was not reduced until after the car had passed the road sign. Under NZ law the car should be doing 70Km/Hr at the sign not after. When I say after it is well after. So not much use at all really.

But hay it is early days and as more Teslas appear on NZ roads there may be enough data (and speeding tickets) to make a change.

It will be interesting to hear from others on how they find this new addition.

The car is still braking for no reason. Thought yesterday that things were better when I got most of the way when suddenly out of the blue the car braked. The road was clear and there were no other cars near by. So I have no idea why the car suddenly braked. Luckily there was no one behind me. It is getting to the stage that I will not use Cruise Control if there is a car following close behind me. I do not want to get rear ended simply because my car is paranoid. It would be nice if you could play back what the computer saw so that you would be aware of what it is the car is frightened of. Maybe get it some counseling or something.

I am wondering if it is frightened of shadows. There were shadows on the road from trees and the wind was blowing so the shadows were moving a little. It is a shame because normally with cruise control on a car you can sit back and enjoy the driving, with a Tesla you are constantly scanning the road to see if there is anything the car will freak out over. The sun was also low in the sky which maybe a factor.

I do have the webcam set up, but there is nothing to see that you would think the car should freak out over. It could possibly be that the car has a screw loose.

Apart from all the auto stuff, the car is beautiful to drive and I am really enjoying it for the most part. I am hoping over time things will get ironed out and will make this car an absolute joy to have. It is my hope that the new re-write of the autopilot will get things sorted. Going from 2-1/2D to 4D should make a huge difference.

Reactions: 3Vtastic
Yes the not changing speed till after passing the speed limit sign is a bit of a problem for NZ!

So far with the 2020.40.xx series I’ve noticed more AP phantom braking
it’s also seems to have regressed to inexperienced teenager level, braking to late and accelerating to much
A bit wobbly at low speed

NoA still sees tries to brake for motorway on-ramp traffic control lights when on the motorway

Hopefully at some stage in the future AP will take the weather into consideration and not blast down the road at 100k
when it’s raining