Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates for Model 3 New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the phone asking permission to sync the contacts to the car?
I’ve played with switching that off in the car and phone and various combos. A few times I tried forgetting the phone on the car and at same time deleting the car on the phone to start from scratch to pair it. In each scenario it acts as expected.

A few times during this process I managed to get the car stuck on the contacts screen with a spinner saying “Preparing to import contacts“ which never goes away until switching contacts off on either car or phone.

It’s really weird that the call history shows contact names which go away if I switch contact sharing off either on the phone or the car but never get contacts to show up in the contact list. If I type in a phone number to dial it shows the contact name in the history afterwards! And my phone works 100%. Just my wife’s phone that fails.

IMG_20200119_211113-sm.jpg

2020.16.2.1 installed

Release notes

Tesla Toybox

The Tesla Toybox has been redesigned to make it easier to view and play. Simply scroll through the toys and adjust the associated controls. As before, to access the Tesla Toybox, tap the Toybox icon from the Application Launcher.

Nearby Charging Sites
The charging list has been improved to easily filter nearby charging sites based on max power. Simply tap the charging icon on the map and filter by selecting the associated lighting bolt icons

Dashcam Improvements
Dashcam is now easier to setup or erase. After plugging in a USB drive, tap Controls > Safety & Security > FORMAT USB DEVICE to format and create the associated folders for Dashcam. Note: Formatting the USB drive will also delete any existing clips.

Backgammon Improvements
Playing Backgammon against your Tesla has now become more difficult. The most difficult level has now been trained with 20+ million games. Challenge your Tesla to a game by tapping the Application Launcher, then tap Entertainment > Arcade > Backgammon. Note: As usual, the Tesla Arcade is only available when your car is in PARK.

Went for a short drive, some observations
Managed to find some pedestrians, the pedestrian animation walks instead of gliding across the screen
I could see rubbish bins at the side of the road, I don't remember seeing that on 2020.11
Formatting Dashcam is greyed, out maybe needed to remove and reinsert the SSD drive
BT Message syncing was disabled after upgrade, it was enabled.

I think it could be more than just no formatting with multiple partitioned drive :(

I noticed sentry mode is not active even though its enabled, it has been working till now.
Car locked approached without cellphone, headlights not flashing.
Pulling on door handle no sentry mode activation warning on screen.
Turning sentry mode off and on again, save on honk is greyed out

I'm going reformat as single partition and see what happens
The SSD has 2 partitions

Bearing in mind dashcam was still working when sentry mode wasn't
Sentry mode hasn't recorded anything or displayed and sentry recording warnings
since yesterday

Sentry mode seems to be working again after reformatting as a single partition
Format button and save on honk no longer greyed out in the car
Formatted the SSD in the car worked

Sentry mode recording warning is appearing on screen again
Although it's behavior seems a bit different
I wonder if sentry mode sensitivity has been dialed back

Tested sentry mode again a few times, lights aren't flashing walking across the front of the car
few pulls on the door handle before sentry mode recording warning appears on screen
5 alerts on screen yet it only recorded a few seconds of me opening the door to check the
sentry recordings when I came back with my phone....nice one

I have seen claims that 2020.16.2.1 now slows down at corners. Have tried my M3 in FSD a few times since but no sign of trying to slow down. Still charges at the corner at Max speed. Anybody else seen anything different? If it does work, how does it decide on how fast to approach the corner? Does it use the map (mine is still at 2019....) or information from the cameras? Or does it use information from other Teslas driving in manual mode to supply the information? If it is the later then it might explain why I have not seen any effect as there are few Teslas around here.

I've also seen reports of slowing down for corners
unfortunately I've not been able to confirm.
My normal commute corners are quite sedate, no need to slow down except for traffic

I haven't noticed any improvement with merging traffic, in fact I think my car likes to play a rousing game of lane change chicken with myself and the cars wanting to merging into my lane
Who's going to chicken out first.

It goes something like this
NoA - Indicators Hah I spit on your fethy indicators, I see you or....maybe I don't, Hah hah
Merging car inches ever closer
NoA - Do you have the cojones, well DO YOU ....lets go, yee haaa
Closely followed by bing bong as I chicken out. NoA dam you, you win...again
NoA - Hah I thought so.... wait, there's another, do you feel lucky, bring it gets go!