Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates for Model 3 New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In USA its $20 a month by the looks

View attachment 715604

In UK/Europe you buy data in chunks.
At USA everything is expensive with AT&T...

I cant find mention of wifi hotspot on NZ (connect plus) but on Oz its there but requires a sim and data plan?
View attachment 715591

AS I always purchased used car to avoid paying 200K+ for new car and get away with paying well under 100K, it appears unknowingly I might have used the data from the service previous owner forgot to discontinue? or previous owner paid upfront? I hope it was the second instance, because I was told that data is included when went to do test drive for e-tron before ordering Tesla.

Yeah who knows the NZ website doesnt even mention it, and the OZ site doesnt say a price, if you had it free that sounds like its not a normal thing at least for most countries.
well NZ gets only set number of Audi e-tron assigned to them, Audi decides that... as they can only make set number of e-tron, A8, R8 cars... most work done by hand and top end quality job takes good amount of time + they don't consider NZ as a big enough market.

When I went for e-tron test drive, they said they have total 16 cars allocated for next two months, that's 16 for country... everything else goes into waiting list. as they are using R8 facilities to build e-tron.

once of the reason, they don't market anything....

same like Tesla, doesn't have any TV advertisement or commercials - they just have model X with falcon doors making people go "WoW" ;)

I know few people in Hamilton, Auckland and Wellington buying brand new Audi and selling after good depreciation in mostly 4-8 months... I had good deal before with that :cool:

He bought it as a first EV and its not really suited to his use, didnt charge anywhere near the advertised speeds (even preheated on chargenet 300kw chargers) or get the range etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
He bought it as a first EV and its not really suited to his use, didnt charge anywhere near the advertised speeds (even preheated on chargenet 300kw chargers) or get the range etc.
Well... I didn't went for e-tron for same reason... I wasn't onto the charging part but more about It wasn't feeling like Audi inside, more specifically as comfortable and executive as Audi A8L cars they produce...

I decided to buy Tesla model 3 and revisit in another 2 years... as I also have Cyber Truck and Model X booked - I will end up replacing model 3 with one of the 4 cars (Audi, Mercedes, Model X, Cyber Truck)... whatever is matured quality car by that time and comes in budget. fingers crossed.

Oh I didn't meant it started without approval... WHat I meant was that it shouldn't wait around for Wifi, as updates are going to use less bandwidth than Netflix movie allowed to be live stream (in many cases).

But, again, I can see the logic behind waiting for wi-fi... if connected to wifi, means either parked someplace or drive nearby hot spotting mobile for update. a safety feature.

DO you work for Tesla or invest heavily in Tesla?
it's not a safety issue WiFi v cellular data, it's cost saving
If you have a notification about a software update (yellow arrow at the top of your screen)
You should also get a notification on your sell phone
As soon as the car is connected to WiFi it will start downloading it
If it's urgent Tesla will push it out over cellular data
It wont install until you chose to install it

I was only joking about the cabin cam, it been around for a while
but not enabled in NZ.....yet

Reactions: Audietron
it's not a safety issue WiFi v cellular data, it's cost saving
If you have a notification about a software update (yellow arrow at the top of your screen)
You should also get a notification on your sell phone
As soon as the car is connected to WiFi it will start downloading it
If it's urgent Tesla will push it out over cellular data
It wont install until you chose to install it

I was only joking about the cabin cam, it been around for a while
but not enabled in NZ.....yet
Apparently with current update cabin cam is enabled.
Yet to check once I get my car back...

Often different regions get different features, nothing big but its a thing.

We dont have Disney+ here for some reason
Au don't have it either, I wonder why 🤔
It's not as if you'll be sucking up twice the data with Netflix and Disney after all you can only use one at a time

Maybe Tesla has some sort of deal with Netflix and not with Disney down under
I have noticed the M3 Netflix has some different content compared to home Netflix, maybe it's via Au

Only saw this with Netflix before where people will use proxy server to receive the movies for USA... I might try this with my Tesla for a fun (might need to factory reset afterwards as RHD/LHD difference (I hope not) ;)

I suppose you might get this to work if you are streaming over Wifi but not on LTE. And RHD is a config setting in the car, among a great many, that you can't change. I know this from the leaked access to internal diagnostics a few updates ago nd I went and had a peek to quell my curiosity.

BTW if you want WiFi all the time... i have a little LTE hotspot with my own SIM plugged in to one of the USB's for power and the car talks to it. I did it because I don't have ability to put Wifi in my garage. It stays plugged in all the time and the car happily downloads updates and anything else over it.