Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will take me a bit longer to get this project done. The roof is done and power walls will be installed next.
Lot of electrical work needs done before they can connect since this is a new build.
This house turns a lot of neighbors into solar-curious so I hope some will convert down the line.

View attachment 878233
It’s Beautiful. I love it. I’ve sent links from your post to my coworkers. That haven’t seen a Solar roof yet. It makes your neighbors home’s look outdated. They could at least throw some Panels on theirs. 😆
A roof without a power plant is a waste of money to me.

It’s Beautiful. I love it. I’ve sent links from your post to my coworkers. That haven’t seen a Solar roof yet. It makes your neighbors home’s look outdated. They could at least throw some Panels on theirs. 😆
A roof without a power plant is a waste of money to me.
Yes, my house is the 2022 modern version in a 25 year old neighborhood but we have lot of Tesla owners here who drive by daily. Lot of people stop by to ask to see the roof in person.
I think it will convert some one in the future as the numbers make more sense as electricity, gas price go up.

Reactions: Jones1 and jboy210
Also I started using the Low heat setting on my dryer. When my wife isn’t looking or at home. 😆. I noticed that my Kw’s usage will go up and down. As the clothes are in the dryer. On high heat. It’s pulling about 8-9kw’s. Medium is about 6-8 kw’s. On low heat. It will drop all the way down to 1.5kw’s then increase to 4-5kw’s. Then back down. I’m thinking on low it adds heat periodically. So I started reading about low heat settings for drying clothes. I read it was actually more cost efficient to dry clothes on low heat at a longer time. Then high heat at a short time. So now I’m only going to use high or medium heat on Towels.

• Funny
Reactions: DrewHou
So I signed into my Gateway yesterday. Using the SSID and my Gateway password. Then my Tesla email account. The directions are on Tesla website. I noticed that while my Tesla app showed my Powerwall at 50 percent backup. Signed directly into my Gateway showed 52% backup. I read that the best way to monitor your powerwall and Solar is to connect to your gateway. The best way to see your system. For me though is to use the Powerwall Monitor app. That @DrewHou posted. I believe. It has an Apple Watch app. But I don’t as able to download it to my iPad. Turned off or disabled screen sleep. So it stays on powerwall monitor app.

Busy last few days with the holidays and then Christmas decorating (which I can’t wait to see powered by the sun this year!) so lots to catch up on in the thread. Currently my Span panel installers are hard at work and excited to get this next smart piece added to my home.

Reactions: Jones1
I got PTO on 11/14/22 from Centerpoint. I believe Tesla has me starting 11/15/22. So I got 46kWh’s so far. My billing period ends on the 18th. I will setup auto payment later. After the credits roll in. We still have to pay the Centerpoint transmission fee’s of course. But I’m getting .117 back.

E4AF5A20-2711-4668-907B-871E6CC5B147.jpeg

Reactions: GWord and DrewHou
Exciting. I was generating credit until May every year before the summer heat kicks and the AC was running double time leaning into the battery capacity during the day just to keep up. I played through many net metering scenarios myself trying to maximize the offset for the overall lower bill, but the TDU delivery fees just killed the off-set economics. The goal was to use as much of the battery as possible you can before drawing from grid. The battery helps offset the cost, but not enough as your data shows. The other problem here is that I was always trying to utilize the battery, I was down to 10-15% limit most days which doesn't leave much for a true backup situation. That's if the storm watch actually works. Things are better now that we can charge the battery from the grid from the app, but net metering didn't work out for me after 2+ years. I charted my netmetering for those 2 year and finally sucked it up and paid MP2 $200 to terminate my contract to move to a free nights plan. It was a game changer for me with our high usage w/ EV. Something to consider.

Exciting. I was generating credit until May every year before the summer heat kicks and the AC was running double time leaning into the battery capacity during the day just to keep up. I played through many net metering scenarios myself trying to maximize the offset for the overall lower bill, but the TDU delivery fees just killed the off-set economics. The goal was to use as much of the battery as possible you can before drawing from grid. The battery helps offset the cost, but not enough as your data shows. The other problem here is that I was always trying to utilize the battery, I was down to 10-15% limit most days which doesn't leave much for a true backup situation. That's if the storm watch actually works. Things are better now that we can charge the battery from the grid from the app, but net metering didn't work out for me after 2+ years. I charted my netmetering for those 2 year and finally sucked it up and paid MP2 $200 to terminate my contract to move to a free nights plan. It was a game changer for me with our high usage w/ EV. Something to consider.
Thanks for telling us your experience. I only have four days of data. That’s not enough for me to decide. If I will keep this plan or switch. I was thinking 6 months. Then decide. I don’t like paying the termination fee but I rather pay it once. Then to have to pay a company or plan monthly that I don’t like. I may keep it longer like you did. 2 years is a good amount of time to decide. I was able to charge at work this morning. I can probably charge twice per week at the current location that I park at. For free. Yesterday I got home around 4. So I plugged in and charged. Trying to get a little from the Sun. 😆 I added 18 kw’s to my Tesla. So I netted a -15 kWh’s
Also….
What size System do you have?
How many PW’s do you have ?
Which way do your panels face?
Just asking. Thanks.
I have a 12kw 1 PW

Yes I recall you had the benefit of the free at work charger which will help reduce your overall home consumption significantly. My system is in my signature below, but will add it is SW facing on a single large array so "highly efficient" as I'm told by the installers. On a excellent sun-day, I'll generate 65-70 kWh per my graphs.

I've played with the data and the net export/import is interesting from the Tesla app, but it doesn't quite translate to the bill because of the TDU. i.e. you'll get charged for every kWh delivered while you sell at your fixed rate. You appear to be on a good MP2 rate since you said you're paying and selling at 11.7 since the recent rates are now variable export not that fixed that you have. However your buy rate is $0.117 + $0.049 TDU. Keep that in mind as your monthly bills come in and you have a chance to analyze. I've seen exciting bills under $10, but those are the ones that I'm proud to highlight. If I'm being real, Houston has more hotter months than cooler months. My 12 month bill average was $45/month and that was based on the older 0.08 rate maximizing 2 PW usage. This $45 monthly average isn't going to break any bank especially considering the system cost, but just beats me up on the personal business case when I went down the solar route in my total ROI estimates. I like looking at the data and seeing how I can should manage it. I have a few spreadsheets. lol

Last month's first real bill with our new MX was $200. And we didn't even drive much. Compared to $9 bill the same time last year was the trigger for me to pay the $200 cancelation. If it's $200 in November, I can't imagine what the bill will be like in the summers. And like you, if that stupid CT actually comes out... that's another huge consumer in the garage. We're a 2500-3000 kWH monthly usage home already.

I was excited to see my bill usage report. It was $2.58 for the week and that's with heavy hosting for the holidays with christmas lights on the house on. I called in and asked to convert my 18month free nights to a 48 month plan since I don't want those plans disappearing any time soon.

Like I said, these #s aren't going to break the bank..but interesting and hopefully helpful for you or anyone else reading this. Since you have the free charge at work, your plan may work just fine. Ride it out for a few more months and extrapolate your usage and estimated bill. My original models were close, but did not anticipate for the 30-40% increase in electricity prices we have today.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
Yes I recall you had the benefit of the free at work charger which will help reduce your overall home consumption significantly. My system is in my signature below, but will add it is SW facing on a single large array so "highly efficient" as I'm told by the installers. On a excellent sun-day, I'll generate 65-70 kWh per my graphs.

I've played with the data and the net export/import is interesting from the Tesla app, but it doesn't quite translate to the bill because of the TDU. i.e. you'll get charged for every kWh delivered while you sell at your fixed rate. You appear to be on a good MP2 rate since you said you're paying and selling at 11.7 since the recent rates are now variable export not that fixed that you have. However your buy rate is $0.117 + $0.049 TDU. Keep that in mind as your monthly bills come in and you have a chance to analyze. I've seen exciting bills under $10, but those are the ones that I'm proud to highlight. If I'm being real, Houston has more hotter months than cooler months. My 12 month bill average was $45/month and that was based on the older 0.08 rate maximizing 2 PW usage. This $45 monthly average isn't going to break any bank especially considering the system cost, but just beats me up on the personal business case when I went down the solar route in my total ROI estimates. I like looking at the data and seeing how I can should manage it. I have a few spreadsheets. lol

Last month's first real bill with our new MX was $200. And we didn't even drive much. Compared to $9 bill the same time last year was the trigger for me to pay the $200 cancelation. If it's $200 in November, I can't imagine what the bill will be like in the summers. And like you, if that stupid CT actually comes out... that's another huge consumer in the garage. We're a 2500-3000 kWH monthly usage home already.

I was excited to see my bill usage report. It was $2.58 for the week and that's with heavy hosting for the holidays with christmas lights on the house on. I called in and asked to convert my 18month free nights to a 48 month plan since I don't want those plans disappearing any time soon.

Like I said, these #s aren't going to break the bank..but interesting and hopefully helpful for you or anyone else reading this. Since you have the free charge at work, your plan may work just fine. Ride it out for a few more months and extrapolate your usage and estimated bill. My original models were close, but did not anticipate for the 30-40% increase in electricity prices we have today.
Yes the .04 and $10 fee for Centerpoint sucks. I’m hoping I use less from the grid to keep the transmission fee down. If I can’t. I will switch my plan like you. Thanks for the info. Keep sharing.

Tesla PowerwallSupportNA just emailed me. They said they have updated my settings for my PW. I can now charge from the Grid. They told me to wait 24hrs. For the app to update. Thank goodness. 😆

Never give up.
Keep asking questions.
Call , Text & Email.
Maybe one day they will reply or answer the Phone. 😂

Ok. So when I enable Grid Charging. Can I select what time or when to Grid Charge? Or should I leave it on No. Until I need to grid Charge?

Okay. I was a little excited. I think I understand now. 😂. I read it over again. 😂