Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a look at Green Mountain. After I made my panic buy. Signing with MP2. I saw the rates. I believe they were 25.9 cents. I didn’t see a plan in my zip code. That was free nights. I will look again Thank you.
That’s the rate during peak / daytime. Once you have Powerwalls installed, you will pull very little from the grid during the day (just a little balancing - we typically see <0.2kWh all day, which costs about 4 cents per day. At night, you pay $0 - so charge your car then. If at least half your grid draw is at $0, the weighted average rate is much lower…

We had the plan for about 10 weeks before PTO, so did have “regular” sized electric bills during that time. But since PTO, about 99% of our grid draw is during the free period.

Reactions: Jones1
That’s the rate during peak / daytime. Once you have Powerwalls installed, you will pull very little from the grid during the day (just a little balancing - we typically see <0.2kWh all day, which costs about 4 cents per day. At night, you pay $0 - so charge your car then. If at least half your grid draw is at $0, the weighted average rate is much lower…

We had the plan for about 10 weeks before PTO, so did have “regular” sized electric bills during that time. But since PTO, about 99% of our grid draw is during the free period.
Thanks. Can you send me a link for your exact plan or just post the name of your plan. I believe it’s $200 to get out of my current plan with MP2. But it would be great to have a back up plan. If I don’t like the way things are going with MP2. Thanks for the info.

Thanks. Can you send me a link for your exact plan or just post the name of your plan. I believe it’s $200 to get out of my current plan with MP2. But it would be great to have a back up plan. If I don’t like the way things are going with MP2. Thanks for the info.

Ok. I see what you are saying. I think I’m going to try MP2 out. Then maybe switch later. But I have only 1 power wall. That I’m ordering. At night I was thinking I will use a lot of energy. So I would need a buy back or a energy banking plan. So I can sell extra energy during the day. I have a lot to think about. I will do some simple math. I do like that I’m locked in at .159 per kWh and they buy back at .119 per kWh. But I love the sound of Free nights.

I believe you have the Green mountain plan that is called all nighter?

Just curious, before PTO, why didn't you either do self-powered from the Tesla app or physically power down the main panel to avoid paying "regular" electrical bills? You would need to manually switch back to the grid at the time free nights start though.

I took a look at Green Mountain. After I made my panic buy. Signing with MP2. I saw the rates. I believe they were 25.9 cents. I didn’t see a plan in my zip code. That was free nights. I will look again Thank you.
If you are in TNMP's service area then you may not have access to free nights right now. TNMP's late deployment of 4g smart meters caused Retail Electric Providers to temporary (hopefully) stop offering those plans. I am in TNMP and signed up before this debacle but only for a 12 month contract. I need it to get sorted before Q1 of next year or else I'm in for a painful switch to another plan.

If you are in TNMP's service area then you may not have access to free nights right now. TNMP's late deployment of 4g smart meters caused Retail Electric Providers to temporary (hopefully) stop offering those plans. I am in TNMP and signed up before this debacle but only for a 12 month contract. I need it to get sorted before Q1 of next year or else I'm in for a painful switch to another plan.
Centerpoint

DFW area -- Arlingtn,TX
ORdered custom on 06/06/2022
Switched from custom design to standard designs 7.2kW system on 06/16/2022/
chat on 06/28 for progress and requested design for HOA approval , they uploaded design in my account at 06/28/2022
chat again on 06/11/2022 to check progress and they claimed it will be 4 weeks before design ready and permit application, hour later recieved notification permit submitted.
06/13/2022 notification recieved in morning permit approved, waiting to schedule installation. 4 hours later installation scheduled for 08/05/2022.
to be continued...

Reactions: Appi Bh and Jones1
DFW area -- Arlingtn,TX
ORdered custom on 06/06/2022
Switched from custom design to standard designs 7.2kW system on 06/16/2022/
chat on 06/28 for progress and requested design for HOA approval , they uploaded design in my account at 06/28/2022
chat again on 06/11/2022 to check progress and they claimed it will be 4 weeks before design ready and permit application, hour later recieved notification permit submitted.
06/13/2022 notification recieved in morning permit approved, waiting to schedule installation. 4 hours later installation scheduled for 08/05/2022.
to be continued...
Welcome. Congratulations

Just curious, before PTO, why didn't you either do self-powered from the Tesla app or physically power down the main panel to avoid paying "regular" electrical bills? You would need to manually switch back to the grid at the time free nights start though.
I was keeping my answer simple since the free nights plan started a week or so before the install. I did manually disconnect from the grid before PTO (at least while I was on vacation).

Reached out to my SA and they clarified the permit approval I received was from the city. Still waiting on utility CEP approval before they can schedule installation. I think this is the step that is most backed up locally due to the lack of support from CEP. Just chilling and waiting for now.

Reached out to my SA and they clarified the permit approval I received was from the city. Still waiting on utility CEP approval before they can schedule installation. I think this is the step that is most backed up locally due to the lack of support from CEP. Just chilling and waiting for now.
Thanks. I will try to get clarification. I’ve been trying to be patient. I haven’t gotten a update yet. I’m probably in the same boat. They told me I was good to go. But still haven’t heard anything.

So I talked to a customer service rep. Via text. Apparently I was told wrong. They are still waiting for the utility provider so I can schedule install. This is very confusing. I have spoke with rep’s over the phone. I was told different info on different chat’s and call’s. I’ll just hold my cash in Tesla Stock. Maybe it will go up before My Solar Does. Idk.

OK I just got a message from Tesla solar. They wanted me to sign some documents for my electricity provider. Something to do with the interconnection team. I have read it over. A little. But I’m actually on my way home. So I didn’t get all involved into the documents yet. Does anyone know what step this is in the process of getting my solar installed? Thanks

OK I just got a message from Tesla solar. They wanted me to sign some documents for my electricity provider. Something to do with the interconnection team. I have read it over. A little. But I’m actually on my way home. So I didn’t get all involved into the documents yet. Does anyone know what step this is in the process of getting my solar installed? Thanks

In order to connect a solar system to the grid you need an interconnection agreement in place with your grid operator. This generally contains terms such as that you’ll have a system that conforms to certain design standards to protect their workers and can handle faults without messing up the grid etc. Additionally the process alerts your grid operator to run power flow and transient studies to ensure that your local grid can handle additional generation without becoming oversupplied. This is also the first step in being able to be compensated for power you put back in the grid.

You need this in place and executed before construction.

Reactions: Jones1 and jgleigh
In order to connect a solar system to the grid you need an interconnection agreement in place with your grid operator. This generally contains terms such as that you’ll have a system that conforms to certain design standards to protect their workers and can handle faults without messing up the grid etc. Additionally the process alerts your grid operator to run power flow and transient studies to ensure that your local grid can handle additional generation without becoming oversupplied. This is also the first step in being able to be compensated for power you put back in the grid.

You need this in place and executed before construction.
I wonder if I’m week’s away for install or Day’s. 🤔