Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well after the day was up I took a look and total daily production wasn't changed by it. It averaged to be same production as usual for this month so seems to not matter. Just odd how this month is the first time I have seen this. Thanks everyone for the examples seems pretty similar to a few of these so must be normal.

5.2 isn’t bad for end of August when half my panels face north and only about 20% of them face south.

Attachments

• IMG_5112.png
    IMG_5112.png
    322 KB · Views: 55
Created a thread but figured I'd ask here too since we're in Houston.

We recently moved into our new home and were considering going solar with powerwalls, but would love some input from the experts on here :)

Current situation:
  • 2 story, 3800 sqft
    • 2 AC units
    • Heat is natural gas
    • Stove is natural gas
  • Recently married so historical energy usage may not be 100% accurate, but I'm estimating about 1000-1500 kW consumption in the colder months and 1500-2000 kW in the warmer months
  • We typically pay anywhere from $200 to $350/month for electricity, but this is heavily dependent on how many days I work from home etc.
  • 1 EV currently (MY) but will most likely be adding a Model 3 in the next couple months
Used the online tool to build a system and it's recommending a 19.44 kW system, and I plan to install 3 powerwalls. Total price is about 72k before any incentives.

I'm struggling with the decision, primarily based on price, but wanted some input from those who've had theirs for a while. Any regrets?
I would get as big an installation as practical up front.
couldn’t agree more with what GWord said. Get as many panels as you can afford upfront. PWs would be much easier to add more of later on but not panels.

Secondly, when I was looking at things. The panels added up to be a savings for me and my electric bill. However, the PWs made things more expensive than what I was paying in electric. So it was a tough choice until I priced out adding a gas generator so I would have backup. Then I was able to see the real savings. To have backup power from a generator was roughly the cost of solar + PWs and then I would still have an electric bill plus more gas bill. Tesla system was I had one payment and no electric bill and got backup during an outage too.

All that said to just say it may make sense to figure in having backup power included in your cost and a reduced or nonexistent power bill when doing your cost analysis. (Unless you already have backup then it’s a wash lol)

IMHO anyways

Reactions: GWord
Created a thread but figured I'd ask here too since we're in Houston.

We recently moved into our new home and were considering going solar with powerwalls, but would love some input from the experts on here :)

Current situation:
  • 2 story, 3800 sqft
    • 2 AC units
    • Heat is natural gas
    • Stove is natural gas
  • Recently married so historical energy usage may not be 100% accurate, but I'm estimating about 1000-1500 kW consumption in the colder months and 1500-2000 kW in the warmer months
  • We typically pay anywhere from $200 to $350/month for electricity, but this is heavily dependent on how many days I work from home etc.
  • 1 EV currently (MY) but will most likely be adding a Model 3 in the next couple months
Used the online tool to build a system and it's recommending a 19.44 kW system, and I plan to install 3 powerwalls. Total price is about 72k before any incentives.

I'm struggling with the decision, primarily based on price, but wanted some input from those who've had theirs for a while. Any regrets?
I have a smaller house, but use more power, probably because of terrible insulation in a 50 year old house. I also have gas heat. My average electrical usage is ~2000 kWh/month. Tesla sized a 20 KW system for my house with 3 PWs recommended, but I went with only 2 PWs to save money. In 2 years, I've generated almost exactly what my house uses, but since the biggest generation is in the afternoon when I cannot use all of it, I sell back about 15% of the power I generate and that is with storing some in the batteries. Without the PWs, I would be selling back about 45%.

While the payback of PWs is not as good as the solar payback, I would still go with their recommended 3 PWs. I've always been sorry that I didn't get the extra PW. For one, I could stop worrying about multiple day blackouts and, in times like this summer when I've been getting as high as $5/kWh for excess power, the PW payback would be quicker.

For power, I really like Tesla Electric, but with multiple EVs, it might work out better with a free night plan and find something that provides a good rate on selling your excess. My bills since going with Tesla Electric have generally been less than $5/mo and they have been significantly negative this summer (-$150 credit so far). Tesla Electric seems to offer the best buyback plan. If they finally offer the $25-30 EV charging plan this fall, Tesla Electric might be the sweet spot.

Reactions: DrewHou
I have 6 PWs, 6 inverters, divided evenly among 3 gateways and I have rooms for another 3 PWs. Get as much PWs and solar as you can afford now because it's getting hotter every years and we will be running AC a lot longer.
Electricity will be more expensive and power outages will be frequent. I keep receiving energy conservation email from ERCOT almost weekly now. This is to future proof.

I have a smaller house, but use more power, probably because of terrible insulation in a 50 year old house. I also have gas heat. My average electrical usage is ~2000 kWh/month. Tesla sized a 20 KW system for my house with 3 PWs recommended, but I went with only 2 PWs to save money. In 2 years, I've generated almost exactly what my house uses, but since the biggest generation is in the afternoon when I cannot use all of it, I sell back about 15% of the power I generate and that is with storing some in the batteries. Without the PWs, I would be selling back about 45%.

While the payback of PWs is not as good as the solar payback, I would still go with their recommended 3 PWs. I've always been sorry that I didn't get the extra PW. For one, I could stop worrying about multiple day blackouts and, in times like this summer when I've been getting as high as $5/kWh for excess power, the PW payback would be quicker.

For power, I really like Tesla Electric, but with multiple EVs, it might work out better with a free night plan and find something that provides a good rate on selling your excess. My bills since going with Tesla Electric have generally been less than $5/mo and they have been significantly negative this summer (-$150 credit so far). Tesla Electric seems to offer the best buyback plan. If they finally offer the $25-30 EV charging plan this fall, Tesla Electric might be the sweet spot.
@explosive0 I second this, Tesla Electric is a game changer, maximize your Powerwalls to take advantage of sell back and VPP with them. With 2 AC units you‘re going to need 2 PWs at least to handle the load in the evening. A third one gives you the safety buffer for when we have full cloudy days. It’s surprising how little solar gets generated sometimes. Another factor is heat, you’re going to loose up to 30% production with our hot summers so the more solar generation capacity you have the better your minimum production will be.

I'm about to sign up for installation of 2 powerwalls. I hope somebody can help me to confirm my understanding of how this will work.

I'm in Houston, TX and currently have solar, 7.5 KwH, but not very efficient due to how it is positioned and surrounding trees. We also have free nights from 8 p - 6 a for another 4 years and then we will see. Based on my understanding of how I can setup Powerwall, I will be able to set it in the following way:
- permission to export: No
- grid charging: Yes
- time based consumption: peak 6 a - 8 p, off-peak 8 p - 6 a

This will result in Powerwall charging during night for free, then during the day, any power demand will prioritize solar + powerwall and result in minimum grid power consumption.

Is my understanding correct? When would my house still use grid power during peak hours?

I appreciate any pointers and/or actual experience how this works out.

Thanks, Dominik

I'm about to sign up for installation of 2 powerwalls. I hope somebody can help me to confirm my understanding of how this will work.

I'm in Houston, TX and currently have solar, 7.5 KwH, but not very efficient due to how it is positioned and surrounding trees. We also have free nights from 8 p - 6 a for another 4 years and then we will see. Based on my understanding of how I can setup Powerwall, I will be able to set it in the following way:

This will result in Powerwall charging during night for free, then during the day, any power demand will prioritize solar + powerwall and result in minimum grid power consumption.

Is my understanding correct? When would my house still use grid power during peak hours?

Thanks, Dominik
That is correct. You’d only use grid during peak if the consumption at your home exceeds inverter (max solar+pw) output or if the PW‘s are drained and it’s cloudy.

Thanks, Dominik
Yes and you can confirm this with Tesla hotline too. I asked them the same thing and have the same plan.

Maybe I am just now seeing something that’s been there since the redesign and just now noticing it but I don’t recall the bottom half showing the price graph. Nice touch.
I think this just happened yesterday. I thought something had gone wrong because it brought this up when I clicked Tesla Electric and then Energy Price. It is the same graph that you get when you click Energy and Grid. I was hoping it would let us go back in the past to see the price paid and maybe allow us to download the price per hour, but it is just a new way to show the data. And still has the same wrong data in the To Grid part of the CSV file if you download.

I think this just happened yesterday. I thought something had gone wrong because it brought this up when I clicked Tesla Electric and then Energy Price. It is the same graph that you get when you click Energy and Grid. I was hoping it would let us go back in the past to see the price paid and maybe allow us to download the price per hour, but it is just a new way to show the data. And still has the same wrong data in the To Grid part of the CSV file if you download.
Yeah my CSV file is still inaccurate too. Mine was fine before my car got charge on solar. Since then, even if I don’t use that feature or turn it off the exported data is wrong. I have gotten nowhere with Tesla on a fix for that yet.

The Tesla way add 1 new thing break 5 😂

Interesting I need to prob look at some of the more in depth data at a panel level. Hopefully it is just a fluke but if you don’t mind report back if the installer says it something other than clipping.

I am also wondering if heat could cause this to happen. Idk 🤷
The installer came early and replaced the micro-inverter (It is a Tesla panel with an Enphase micro-inverter), So far in the past few days it has been good, and today it exceeded 1kwh production. My Enphase app can show the status of each individual panel in real-time. Apparently, the installer has more insight into the history and stated after 2 p.m. that particular panel stopped producing. I noticed overall on those super hot days 105-110 days, the production of the system is lower.

Reactions: Jones1