Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla solar install question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution
Thanks, 2-3 hours end of day or starting of day ?. My installation is this Monday so i am planing my day
It was in the latter half of the install, towards the end. They basically got the panels, walls and inverters installed and then took the house down while they wired it all into the house electrical.
Same experience as @Laketime here. Tesla said it would be out for 8 hours each day for two days, but was only out for a few hours the afternoon of the first day. Nor did they want us to run our generator to cover the outage as they would be working on the main panel of course.
We bought a portable AC battery, plugged the cable modem and WiFi router into it and worked from home on laptops.

Reactions: giran99
Upvote 0
Same experience as @Laketime here. Tesla said it would be out for 8 hours each day for two days, but was only out for a few hours the afternoon of the first day. Nor did they want us to run our generator to cover the outage as they would be working on the main panel of course.
We bought a portable AC battery, plugged the cable modem and WiFi router into it and worked from home on laptops.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Wow, the electricians for Sunrun did it totally different. They switched one circuit at a time to the backup panel. At the final stage we only lost power for 3 minutes.

How long power needs to be off depends on each particular install.

Tesla quotes a long time so that people can be prepared for it, and because, occasionally, that can happen. Every electrician knows people do not like to be without power, so they try to minimize that time.

I was told it would be 8 hours, for example (because they moved all my loads but 1 to a backup loads panel, so basically an entire new panel install), but the electricians prepped everything, and the power was out for about an hour and half.

With that being said, the OP should PLAN as if the power might be out that entire time, but know that its likely it wont be that long.

OP, "how long" like almost everything else to do with a construction project (which these absolutely are) depends on your particular house.

Upvote 0
this is one of those instances as stated above where you always tell customer longer or longest expected .. make yourself look good and as stated customer can prepare for worse be pleasantly surprised when not ..
my install was scheduled one day solar and 2 pw's / moving all loads
tesla paperwork said "up to 8 hours" down .. onsite electrician told me 2 hours max and he went out of way let me know before they cut power and it was actually about 1.25 hour if i recall

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0