Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar vs ....[third party competitors]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been searching online and there's no shortage of AZ solar companies but Sunrun had a bunch of 1 out of 5 star ratings. I hope they did well by you for both cost and customer service.
OMG!! Did they ever do good for us!! They actually redid our roof because the underlayment under the tile was cracked and deteriorated. The install was fantastic, and we have been running 95% off the panels and Powerwalls, (rain has messed up the 100% goal). The main reason for the bad ratings, (I did a lot of research on them), was due to them buying Vivint and having to clean up their mess. We found them initially through Costco, (Sunrun is an official vendor). We bought and even though the cost was a little higher, their customer service is really good, (better than Tesla!!), and they get things done. We got a HUGE tax credit on our taxes and will have the system paid in 15 years. They have a 25-year warranty and 24/7 monitoring.

Reactions: kabin
OMG!! Did they ever do good for us!! They actually redid our roof because the underlayment under the tile was cracked and deteriorated. The install was fantastic, and we have been running 95% off the panels and Powerwalls, (rain has messed up the 100% goal). The main reason for the bad ratings, (I did a lot of research on them), was due to them buying Vivint and having to clean up their mess. We found them initially through Costco, (Sunrun is an official vendor). We bought and even though the cost was a little higher, their customer service is really good, (better than Tesla!!), and they get things done. We got a HUGE tax credit on our taxes and will have the system paid in 15 years. They have a 25-year warranty and 24/7 monitoring.

That makes sense. The main complaints I was seeing were related to customer service - no one responds to emails, or returns phone calls, and once you reach them (off shore phone center) it's a few weeks or a month before they have local 3rd party services assigned. I have to admit Sunrun was aware of the issues and had an online presence to follow up with all online complaints within a day or so.

I assume they are Tesla approved to do Powerwall installations. So you purchased panels etc through Sunrun to get the discount minus the PWs?

That makes sense. The main complaints I was seeing were related to customer service - no one responds to emails, or returns phone calls, and once you reach them (off shore phone center) it's a few weeks or a month before they have local 3rd party services assigned. I have to admit Sunrun was aware of the issues and had an online presence to follow up with all online complaints within a day or so.

I assume they are Tesla approved to do Powerwall installations. So you purchased panels etc through Sunrun to get the discount minus the PWs?
Whenever I call Sunrun customer service, I get someone here in the US, not overseas. From what our sales rep told us, (and I have seen it with my own eyes), all the people who work for them are Sunrun employees, (W-2), the electricians, roofers and installers. The new CEO, Mary Powell, has come in and is cleaning house.
We purchased panels AND PWs from Sunrun. From what our sales rep told us, Sunrun bought up as many Powerwalls as they could get their hands on. We signed in August, installed in Oct and activated in Nov. Our neighbor down the street went with Titan and had their panels installed but had to wait 4 months! to get their PWs.

I had 3 different companies come out to give me a quote for a solar + battery backup install.
Sunrun, Sunpro, and some other I forgot because I tore up his card after the salesperson left.

The one I forgot the name of couldn't give me a date that they could install the PW, and they subbed out all the labor.
Sunrun gave me a quote for a lease and not ownership, and the details were such that they had control of the PW, and they estimated the PW install would be about 6 months out.
Went with Sunpro and was very happy with their team and the install looked very clean. Took 6 weeks from the time the contract was signed to the date the install was finished.

I had 3 different companies come out to give me a quote for a solar + battery backup install.
Sunrun, Sunpro, and some other I forgot because I tore up his card after the salesperson left.

The one I forgot the name of couldn't give me a date that they could install the PW, and they subbed out all the labor.
Sunrun gave me a quote for a lease and not ownership, and the details were such that they had control of the PW, and they estimated the PW install would be about 6 months out.
Went with Sunpro and was very happy with their team and the install looked very clean. Took 6 weeks from the time the contract was signed to the date the install was finished.
Totally surprised Sunrun only gave you lease option. We purchased ours. maybe because of them being aligned with Costco?

Totally surprised Sunrun only gave you lease option. We purchased ours. maybe because of them being aligned with Costco?
I got the referral info from Costco. Maybe it was just the salesperson we had. I was really not fond of his tactics.
I got a call from the Sunrun salesperson the day after we signed the contract with Sunpro. He asked if we could get out of the contract and just laughed and said "good luck to you" when I said I was happy with the decision I had made.

Comparing Tesla to 3rd parties... $2/kw is a great price but does it include installation? Does Tesla's quote exclude micro inverters?
My 8K System with 2 Powerwalls was $33.400 installed. NYSERDA approved $4,080 grant, and I got about $8,000 Federal tax credit and $5,000 NYS tax credit, though I could only use $500 of the NYS credit this year (You have a rollover of 4 more years to use the balance.) So the System cost $20,820, or $2.55/W with the 2 Powerwalls, and I still have $4500 in NYS rollover tax credits! The other Installer I got a quote from wanted $50K for 10K Solar with 2 Powerwalls.

My 8K System with 2 Powerwalls was $33.400 installed. NYSERDA approved $4,080 grant, and I got about $8,000 Federal tax credit and $5,000 NYS tax credit, though I could only use $500 of the NYS credit this year (You have a rollover of 4 more years to use the balance.) So the System cost $20,820, or $2.55/W with the 2 Powerwalls, and I still have $4500 in NYS rollover tax credits! The other Installer I got a quote from wanted $50K for 10K Solar with 2 Powerwalls.

I have a Tesla quote for purchase of 14.4kw solar panels and 1 PW. I just noticed in the fine print - "Excluding sales tax and including installation."

Wow, that worked out well. I keep looking for a Sunrun rep at Costco but no luck the last few visits.

I'm thinking I will pass on the battery backup option.
What you can do is call Sunrun and let them know you are Costco member. You will get the same bonuses. Having Battery backup is the best! We don't have to worry about losing power if SRP goes down. I have a 70-gallon Saltwater Reef tank with expensive corals and fish. I sleep better at night now knowing we have the Powerwalls.