Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar vs ....[third party competitors]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for California I put a $100 deposit down and received that California Solar Consumer Protection Guide. Read through it and one of the things there was look for bids. I've been reading the forums here to as well but not too much into detail.

I received a bid from another company and was was up front and mentioned my deposit with Tesla and where we're at in the process (beginning stages of planning) and that I haven't signed anything to agree for instal. Long story short, Tesla panels are made from Hanwha? And breaking down the differences between Hanwha and competitors it seems that even though Hanwha has the backing of Tesla, competitor solar panels seem to be blowing running circles around the panels. Why would one go with Tesla versus competitors - is the price? The technology? I mean why pay a cheap price for better technology but sub par panels when you can go with better panels with third party technology that's just as good for basic needs?

Reactions: Tnuc3lon
Price and Powerwall. In exchange, you get horrible customer support and get to spend hours on hold trying to get support. But $5-10k in savings is a lot.

Also, where are you reading that Hanwha panels are so inferior?

Inferior? Your words not mine.

judging by the numbers my opinion is that LG seems to be a better buy.

Attachments

• 3DBB5798-9AE5-4039-917E-AE53A833A7F9.jpeg
    3DBB5798-9AE5-4039-917E-AE53A833A7F9.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 522
So for California I put a $100 deposit down and received that California Solar Consumer Protection Guide. Read through it and one of the things there was look for bids. I've been reading the forums here to as well but not too much into detail.

I received a bid from another company and was was up front and mentioned my deposit with Tesla and where we're at in the process (beginning stages of planning) and that I haven't signed anything to agree for instal. Long story short, Tesla panels are made from Hanwha? And breaking down the differences between Hanwha and competitors it seems that even though Hanwha has the backing of Tesla, competitor solar panels seem to be blowing running circles around the panels. Why would one go with Tesla versus competitors - is the price? The technology? I mean why pay a cheap price for better technology but sub par panels when you can go with better panels with third party technology that's just as good for basic needs?

Mostly just marketing gibberish. Yeah... LG panels provide ~10% more power per square meter because they're using the latest tech but cost ~50% more because they're using the latest tech. Unless you're space constrained....

Inferior? Your words not mine.

Those aren't the panels used for the Tesla solar panel installs (which are now the ~420W)... That comparison guide is a little skewed.

Solar panels do their job - the efficiency and whatnot play a role, but, when you look at the percentages and how many watts, and so on. You can probably make up that difference with more panels from Tesla, and may still come under the pricing from the third party.

Warranty/service are a different ball game w/Tesla... Their subpar support isn't a recurring theme for no reason, they really do have bad communication skills and long wait times. But again, the savings are probably where that is made up - you pay a lot less and have to deal with their lack of support. Which, hopefully you don't need, but, I would rather bank more in my pocket now and deal with issues later on, rather than spending a LOT more with someone else...

Ok, your words were "sub par" and inferior is a synonym if that's some kind of argument you're looking for. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Tesla is currently using Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G6+ 340W panels or larger 420W panels with ~19.5% efficiency. My understanding is that a tiny bit extra efficiency in more expensive, superior (or not "sub par") panels wouldn't be offset by their higher price over the lifetime of the panels. Also, the Tesla panels come with a 25 year warranty.

And that graphic is comparing Tesla solar roof tiles to solar panels.

Last edited:
OP, you should get at least 3 bids before comparing. Not sure why you would post a comparison of a 315W panel with a 400W pane. How old is that comparison? Who did the comparison? Is there a bias there?
In the end, it is up to you to select what is right for you.

Reactions: Tnuc3lon
How do you define “better buy”?

A higher wattage more efficient panel might be “better” if you’re super space constrained on your roof and need to maximize production per square foot, even at substantially more cost.

If you’re NOT space constrained, you’re really just spending more money for the same output for no good reason.

The screen shot was a quick google from another solar company that I didn’t get a bid from, just showing a quick example.

I’m new to this and just researching. I have 2 bids, 1 from Tesla and 1 from Ameco Solar (local in Los Angeles). I have 2 more bids pending from a contractor who did our panel and windows/doors for a green project 3 years ago and then ABC solar (found on Yelp and Nextdoor as a referral).

Just finding out Tesla uses Hanwha I was educated by Ameco. We went over different brands, and one of the brands was Hanwa, which they also can install as an option. They didn’t compare “Tesla” or talk bad about the company, he just mentioned mention that they use Hanwa 420 panels which are fairly new. I was under there impression Tesla produced their own panels as an option. So you can see I’m green as far as the solar panel install game.

So let me rephrase my question. Why did you choose tesla solar vs alternative bids? It seems the consensus of the decision is the price. Even Ameco mentioned that Tesla is the most competitive and price is probably the lowest compared to others.
I’m still awaiting the design form tesla (which I also learned there’s technically only 4 options for tesla solar which are small, medium, large and x large).
Did your system from Tesla meet your expectation? Was your goal to net 0 on your electricity bill? And if so, are you meeting your goal?

If you have a simple installation (no weird roof or roof material), are willing to accept a more or less cookie cutter design, and can deal with Tesla’s less-than-communicative customer service, nobody will touch them on price.

If you need/want more control and hand holding, a local installer with a good reputation is probably a better choice, but you’ll pay for it. Often substantially more.

IMO if I was buying today for my house I’d go with Tesla. There aren’t many more important metrics when it comes to solar than $$/watt.

I think the major bases are covered in this thread and in most lead-gen-aggregators like EnergySage and SolarReview.

However, one thing that tripped me up that is like never discussed in mainstream sites is the racking method. Since you're in SoCal, you probably have a tile roof or some form of metal roof. While Tesla's "Zep" hook is pretty good for S tiles, it seems problematic for flat tiles or oddly-shaped W tile types.

There are tile replacement mounts, but Tesla refuses to use them for their solar installs.

My roofer told me he's seen these tile hooks contact flat tiles (especially when installers use the 1 or 2 piece non-adjustable hooks). So, I took the extra step to find an installer willing to do extra flashing + standoffs instead of trying to get cute/cheap with tile hooks. This wrinkle basically wiped out 3 of my bids because those installers said they'd only use various brand of hooks on tile roofs.

From what I've gathered, the warranty on water penetrations with solar is basically hot garbage. It's a game of finger-pointing when water comes in. The solar company will blame the aging roof every time; while the homeowner thinks it's the solar. It's not worth the trouble arguing the leak-warranty; just pay extra and get a robust mount on your tile roof. If there's a leak, assume you're coming out of pocket to fix it no matter what.

Price, Payoff, Powerwall.

Price: No one beats Tesla's price from everything I've read. In return, you get lackluster or horrible service. You can look at my past posts about the ongoing problem with my installation (it's now post-PTO and only generating half of what it should probably due to a wiring problem on the roof, service appointment is pending, but it took an hour on hold to tell them about the problem, 5 days waiting for them to analyze my system data remotely, and another 50 mins on the phone to schedule an appointment).

Payoff: Because of the low price, the solar panels will pay for themselves in under 6 years. That's short enough that I can see a purpose to going green rather than invest the money in an index fund. Even if my system took 4 months to get PTO and isn't working correctly for a month after PTO until it's fixed, that's a loss of a just few hundred bucks vs. maybe $5-10k from more expensive installers.

Powerwall: As far as I know, there's nothing as popular and proven on the market. It's up to you if you think whole home backup is important for your needs.

in MA I have not heard stories of a single customer happy with Tesla solar. A friend of mine had the solar tiles put on his roof and they did horrible shoddy work. Getting good support is near impossible. I am a fan of Tesla but I wouldn't ever give them my roof with the way that division is run right now.

Tesla used a tile replacement in my tile roof. It is like a plastic tile with a hook underneath. So the idea that they only use the zep system is wrong. Certain building codes will dictate the type of mounting system.

Cool, glad they were able to help you. I asked them for an alternate roof racking method to Zep hooks, and they told me to sod off.

I know this has probably been discussed a bunch of times, but with solar being a constantly evolving market, I want feedback and information based off the latest information and statistics.

I’m looking to go solar and I have signed up for EnergySage to get quotes for local installers. And also created an order with Tesla Solar.

Let me start by saying this, I love what Tesla stands for (innovation, advancement, etc), but I hate hate hate their customer service, lack of communication, predictable delays, and empty and broken promises. I don’t want this thread to be a debate about my feelings or opinions either.

After the 6 month debacle with my Tesla MSLR order, I’ve developed a lot of uncertainties about Tesla as a company, but the car is great, which kind of balances the things out (still doesn’t make their actions right). The customer service post purchase is just as shatty as it was during the wait. I’m afraid of falling into another customer service trap with their solar setup but I’m unsure of how that branch operates due to such mixed reviews everywhere. Currently they’re emailing me daily and calling me to continue with the process, more information, etc, but I feel like once they hook me, they’ll Swayze.

A couple reservations I have right now are:
1) 10 year warranty? Subpar to most other companies offering 20-25 years
2) Almost 10k up-charge for me having a brand new clay tile roof.
3) Rumors of power wall shortages, while Tesla is promising I’ll have everything done in 10-14 weeks (fell for that one once with my car, ha ha ha)
4) Not using the best currently available panels
5) Rumors of using older tech inverters
6) Not using micro-inverters per panel

For those who currently have Tesla Solar, switched from another solar setup, currently doing solar research, or looking to switch to another company from Tesla, what are your recommendations? I think it would be great to have solar and car all in one app. Am I missing something that attracts customers to their solar aside from loyalty to the company? Are the bad reviews legitimate issues or user errors?

Also throwing in a poll. I understand this is a Tesla Solar forum/section so reviews might be a bit biased but I’m open for discussion.

DECA54C4-CD5D-493F-BF6B-D3D1E878B771.png

I know this has probably been discussed a bunch of times, but with solar being a constantly evolving market, I want feedback and information based off the latest information and statistics.

I’m looking to go solar and I have signed up for EnergySage to get quotes for local installers. And also created an order with Tesla Solar.

Let me start by saying this, I love what Tesla stands for (innovation, advancement, etc), but I hate hate hate their customer service, lack of communication, predictable delays, and empty and broken promises. I don’t want this thread to be a debate about my feelings or opinions either.

After the 6 month debacle with my Tesla MSLR order, I’ve developed a lot of uncertainties about Tesla as a company, but the car is great, which kind of balances the things out (still doesn’t make their actions right). The customer service post purchase is just as shatty as it was during the wait. I’m afraid of falling into another customer service trap with their solar setup but I’m unsure of how that branch operates due to such mixed reviews everywhere. Currently they’re emailing me daily and calling me to continue with the process, more information, etc, but I feel like once they hook me, they’ll Swayze.

3) Rumors of power wall shortages, while Tesla is promising I’ll have everything done in 10-14 weeks (fell for that one once with my car, ha ha ha)

For those who currently have Tesla Solar, switched from another solar setup, currently doing solar research, or looking to switch to another company from Tesla, what are your recommendations? I think it would be great to have solar and car all in one app. Am I missing something that attracts customers to their solar aside from loyalty to the company? Are the bad reviews legitimate issues or user errors?

Also throwing in a poll. I understand this is a Tesla Solar forum/section so reviews might be a bit biased but I’m open for discussion.

View attachment 721545
I do laugh at the 2.5 days backup!!! No way, IMO, anyone can say that! What time of the year did power go out? If winter, solar panels make very little output. What things are folks trying to run? I have 5 batteries and just using my house normally, I can kill them in a day, and I do not have an EV.

Reactions: jboy210

View attachment 721545

(moderator note)

I moved this into this thread because its the same basic question (is tesla energy worth it) and there is feedback in this thread on that topic. I am also aware that it broke the poll. As you surmised, this question is asked fairly frequently.

As far as the question you asked "is tesla solar worth it" I would say, for you, no I dont think so, because the sales model between the vehicle division and car division is similar. You already mentioned you didnt like that model (I am not making this about your feelings, just stating why I am saying what I said).

Since you dont like the model, and the model is the same, then the answer is "no, for you, its not worth it, because you likely want higher touch than tesla provides in this space".