Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla special Cybertruck aftermarket group to create 48V products

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was checking out this Airstream caravel as it can use solar, inverters, internet and electronic hitch. It runs about 80k. Tesla might do well to collaborate or form a partnership with Airstream. Imagine having your Airstream solar charge your Cybertruck. Lots of Baby boomers might want to hit the road and have the currency to afford it. Although I like a camper on the Cybertruck this 16 footer detaches and leaves the Cybertruck free for other chores.

Reactions: wipster
Will the Truck have upfitter switches that are prewired to accept additional loads? Just hookup things like Winches and other lights or whatever else you want to power.
20220131_093040-jpg.257847

If the Truck is truly 48 volts how will things like Trailer lights and Trailer Brake controllers work?
You can buy a 48v to 12v DC to DC converter on Amazon right now for under $20. Sure they are probably garbage, but I’m sure Tesla could put together a more rugged design for close to that cost. Have that converter at the hitch to make 12v available for all trailer accessories.

Reactions: Cal1
Every time I see this, I cringe hard. I think people vastly underestimate how difficult it would be for even 1 person to deal with camping in a footprint the size of a truck bed. Most campers have sleep space over the cab for good reasons most extend over the wheel wells where this will have to fit inside the wheel wells.

The original truck had no wheel wells so you had the whole width of the box, the newer models have a 2-4" inset for the wheels which makes for an interesting challenge for the Landr crew.

Are the lights and lightbulbs 48 volt also or is there a 12 volt voltage limiter?
Not a lot of info on this stuff.

My guess is they will have 48v LED lighting, but since nobody has a shipping vehicle, it's a lot of guesswork.

I don't think there is any benefit to running 12v for lighting so I doubt they will stick to it. Pretty much the only value to 12v is that there is a fair amount of aftermarket product for 12v right now. For anything installed on the car, it doesn't make any sense us 12v. There may be places like the rear bumper and cockpit where they have 12v output for accessories, but even there they might just encourage people to move to 48v and use official Tesla accessories.

I have a feeling that a 48volt battery will be very expensive to replace out of warrant
As mentioned earlier it may have a longer warranty. Also if it does need to be replaced the Ahr capacity only needs to be one fourth of the capacity of a 12 volt battery. For example 100 Ahrs at 12 volts is the same power as 25 Ahrs at 48 volts. I don't even know if it needs that much capacity since it does not have to turn over a starting motor. It is just there to light up the electronics so the system can close the contactor to the main pack. If the typical design is consistent it will always be charged by the pack so another reason it does not have to have much capacity. I just checked and the Model S battery is 33 Ahr so at 48 volts it would only need to be 8-10 Ahrs. That is 0.5 kWh and at $300 per kWh that is only $150 for a 48 volt battery