Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla special Cybertruck aftermarket group to create 48V products

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gotta admin I'm an old fart who started at 300 baud just after acoustic couplers were a thing.... so I recently learned about can bus and it's a really neat protocol running at 250k and 500k baud..... tonight I saw interview with Elon and Sandy Munro where Elon says "can bus is slow" .... OMG..... I just got used to seeing the plethora of packets from my solar inverter over can bus.... to think that's slow... wowser.
About future proofing
new platform to change the industry, 48v, Ethernet, large display, steer by wire, etc

On the 48v, I can confirm there is a separate 48v lithium-ion battery. It is rated for 4Ah and looks smaller than the 16v, 7Ah lithium-ion battery used in other Tesla models today. While I can't verify it, I'm 99% sure it is required to energize the HV battery, similar to all other Teslas. If there are significant loads on the 48v system, the HV must be energized, feeding the 800v to 48v DC-DC converter to provide power. Assuming the 120VAC/240VAC are powered directly from the 800V pack, I guess the 48V system has about 3000W of power, or ~62A to run all the items in the CT and perhaps a few accessories.

On the 48v, I can confirm there is a separate 48v lithium-ion battery. It is rated for 4Ah and looks smaller than the 16v, 7Ah lithium-ion battery used in other Tesla models today. While I can't verify it, I'm 99% sure it is required to energize the HV battery, similar to all other Teslas. If there are significant loads on the 48v system, the HV must be energized, feeding the 800v to 48v DC-DC converter to provide power. Assuming the 120VAC/240VAC are powered directly from the 800V pack, I guess the 48V system has about 3000W of power, or ~62A to run all the items in the CT and perhaps a few accessories.
Cool!
It may look and/or be physically smaller, but that would be 196Wh vs 112Wh for the old one.

Update - On the configuration page, there is an included list of power connections. The others we knew about, but one "Two Auxilary Power Connections" is listed at 2.5 kW. It doesn't say the voltage, so maybe 120VAC, or more likely 48V. That's a lot of extra power! At 48V, that's 52 amps!

I gotta admin I'm an old fart who started at 300 baud just after acoustic couplers were a thing.... so I recently learned about can bus and it's a really neat protocol running at 250k and 500k baud..... tonight I saw interview with Elon and Sandy Munro where Elon says "can bus is slow" .... OMG..... I just got used to seeing the plethora of packets from my solar inverter over can bus.... to think that's slow... wowser.
I started in the dial up days also. I think I still have an acoustic phone coupler somewhere. But I changed with the times. Everything in the house is CAT 5A or 6. I have dealt with customer manufacturing lines that were CAN bussed and thought they we old fashion. Now that Tesla is going to Ethernet life is better and maybe there is hope for some hope for manufacturing.

Update on the auxiliary power. There are two 48v high-power connections, for up to 2.5 kW of power (52 amps).
1) One on the roof, under a cover. It is for the optional LED Lightbar that goes on top, but there is no reason it can't be used for other accessories.
2) One in the front (unsure exactly where). Presumably for an electric winch or those that want a 2KW audio system!

Both are individually switched on/off from the interior screen.

Reactions: Buckminster
I would not hold my breath for future 48v stuff to be released for the Cyber truck. I own a MY and a MS. For the Y I can find anything I want however it is the most sold car in the world therefor a rather large market for accessories. On the other hand I cannot even find a cabin filter for the MS except through Tesla. The quantities of this car are just not enough to interest aftermarket development. Not saying someone won't make 48v stuff however the pickings will be rather slim and probably priced accordingly. It will take quite some time before there are any quantities of Cyber trucks on the road and with Europe's regulations that won't allow them, those quantities will never be all that high.

You do know 12v items can be easily adapted using a step down converter. Here is a 20w version however larger/smaller units are made. I am confident this will be the best route to go and pretty sure aftermarket stuff will simply integrate one of these into there product.

Starlink by the way works off of POE 48v. Have adapted mine on the boat to run off my 12v house bank as opposed to 110v inverted power.

I would not hold my breath for future 48v stuff to be released for the Cyber truck. I own a MY and a MS. For the Y I can find anything I want however it is the most sold car in the world therefor a rather large market for accessories. On the other hand I cannot even find a cabin filter for the MS except through Tesla. The quantities of this car are just not enough to interest aftermarket development. Not saying someone won't make 48v stuff however the pickings will be rather slim and probably priced accordingly. It will take quite some time before there are any quantities of Cyber trucks on the road and with Europe's regulations that won't allow them, those quantities will never be all that high.

You do know 12v items can be easily adapted using a step down converter. Here is a 20w version however larger/smaller units are made. I am confident this will be the best route to go and pretty sure aftermarket stuff will simply integrate one of these into there product.

Starlink by the way works off of POE 48v. Have adapted mine on the boat to run off my 12v house bank as opposed to 110v inverted power.
I think the Cybertruck and 48v will be different than the model S
We have confirmed 2M reservations
Google trends traffic is massive
The CT can be had for less than $100K
It’s a pickup and therefore more mainstream then the MS

Think rhe aftermarket is waking up to the CT and the products are on their way

I think the Cybertruck and 48v will be different than the model S
We have confirmed 2M reservations
Google trends traffic is massive
The CT can be had for less than $100K
It’s a pickup and therefore more mainstream then the MS

Think rhe aftermarket is waking up to the CT and the products are on their way
Those reservation numbers are fiction IMHO. The Model Y just broke the 2 million delivered in 3 1/2 years of production and they have 3 plants pumping them out. Many of those CT reservations are speculative buyers that have as many as 20 reserved wanting to sell the reservations for a profit. I have a feeling Elon is going to demand a rather large sum to initiate those pre orders and think at least 3/4 of those will disappear. The Cybertruck will be a hit but in much smaller numbers than the pre-orders imply.

Think about this for a minute, Elon estimates 250,000 produced in 2024 and we all know how Elon promises work out. That being the case, if you are on the tail end of the 2M preorders, you will get your in 8 years. I simply cannot see the CT being so popular that they will build extra factories to supply the demand.

Those reservation numbers are fiction IMHO. The Model Y just broke the 2 million delivered in 3 1/2 years of production and they have 3 plants pumping them out. Many of those CT reservations are speculative buyers that have as many as 20 reserved wanting to sell the reservations for a profit. I have a feeling Elon is going to demand a rather large sum to initiate those pre orders and think at least 3/4 of those will disappear. The Cybertruck will be a hit but in much smaller numbers than the pre-orders imply.

Think about this for a minute, Elon estimates 250,000 produced in 2024 and we all know how Elon promises work out. That being the case, if you are on the tail end of the 2M preorders, you will get your in 8 years. I simply cannot see the CT being so popular that they will build extra factories to supply the demand.
Quick search indicates around 300,000 model 3 pre orders. I think it may have been 1000 usd rather than 100 for cybertruck.

Even so, an indication.

Plus bums on seats sell teslas. Every cybertruck delivered will sell more than one more

Elon is a very smart man, @ $100 everyone and anyone could reserve one which translated to 200,000,000 for Tesla in their pockets for how long now? Heck it costs more to fill a gas tank than reserve a CT! I believe they started taking pre-orders 4 years ago?
Customer deposits increased $61M Q3 to Q4 2019 and $62M the quarter after that, but then dropped.
Foundation deposits are another $1,000 plus $500 to reserve an extender.
Tesla's cash balance today is a lot more flush than it was 4 years ago: $6.3B in Q4 2019 vs $26B now (Q3 2023)

Customer deposits increased $61M Q3 to Q4 2019 and $62M the quarter after that, but then dropped.
Foundation deposits are another $1,000 plus $500 to reserve an extender.
Tesla's cash balance today is a lot more flush than it was 4 years ago: $6.3B in Q4 2019 vs $26B now (Q3 2023)
It’s an amazing pile they can short term invest
Big money maker

Reactions: mongo
...Elon estimates 250,000 produced in 2024 and we all know how Elon promises work out.
Not quite right. Elon hopes to have the factory at a 250,000 run rate at the end of 2024. There are no plans to ship 250,000 CTs in 2024. Elon rarely makes promises. Many attribute Elon's goals, desires, hopes, etc. as promises, although they are not. It takes quite a while to increase production to the full run rate, especially on a product with so much new tech. It also appears the Mexico factory is going to be built to produce the CT, although this is likely 2 years out. No word if other factories will gear up to make it. Likely it depends on how strong the conversion of reservations to orders is.

Reactions: UkNorthampton