Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla special Cybertruck aftermarket group to create 48V products

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How will we cope with the switchover to 48v? I'm clutching my pearls and thinking about the horrors of going from 6v to 12v in the 1960s.... how will we survive? giggle. There was a push to convert cars to 42v back in the 1990's and it went exactly nowhere. I suspect that once Tesla starts doing 48v, all other automakers will follow suit.

Reactions: jboy210 and A2be
Why is there so little discussion of the new 48 volt architecture outside of this forum? Even in the forum most posts refer to the after market opportunities and not how the architecture affects how the Cybertruck is built. Everyone seems focused on the challenges using stainless steel and the electrical system change gets little attention. Has Tesla backed off from the effort? For example is POE being implemented?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Buckminster
Very cool:
1695451458540.png

The Electrek review: Luna's Talaria xXx - super fun eMoto that defies categories

Why is there so little discussion of the new 48 volt architecture outside of this forum? Even in the forum most posts refer to the after market opportunities and not how the architecture affects how the Cybertruck is built. Everyone seems focused on the challenges using stainless steel and the electrical system change gets little attention. Has Tesla backed off from the effort? For example is POE being implemented?
I agree, let’s geek out on this
My guess is people don’t understand rhe advantage

How will we cope with the switchover to 48v? I'm clutching my pearls and thinking about the horrors of going from 6v to 12v in the 1960s.... how will we survive? giggle. There was a push to convert cars to 42v back in the 1990's and it went exactly nowhere. I suspect that once Tesla starts doing 48v, all other automakers will follow suit.
Power Over Ethernet (Active PoE 802.3 af) works on a 48 v spec In the networking space. There are cameras etc today that just plug in and work. Device specs allow for smart voltage use so there has been some development established in this space. Passive PoE is only 24 v. and dumb.

I expect the power up battery as in recent builds will remain unchanged. No need for 48v to wake up the CT as I see it. So the jump start process might remain unchanged.

I expect 48 v will come from the traction battery system. It would make sense for most low power accessories (lights) to run on 48 v. It is probably easier.

I think StarLink runs fine on PoE already. I would be surprised if CT does not have a WiFi access point built in. CT might even have a deployable perimeter security system for campin…. (Think “ Forbidden Planet”) just a speculation.

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px and A2be
Folks, tell me u own a Tesla, and can find 12v anywhere? I can see a slide in winch in the back, with 220v converter. But up fron with enough amps to power a winch.
We might get lucky and find one.
The 48v is system power, not 50 amps the drive a winch.

Power Over Ethernet (Active PoE 802.3 af) works on a 48 v spec In the networking space. There are cameras etc today that just plug in and work. Device specs allow for smart voltage use so there has been some development established in this space. Passive PoE is only 24 v. and dumb.

I expect the power up battery as in recent builds will remain unchanged. No need for 48v to wake up the CT as I see it. So the jump start process might remain unchanged.

I expect 48 v will come from the traction battery system. It would make sense for most low power accessories (lights) to run on 48 v. It is probably easier.

I think StarLink runs fine on PoE already. I would be surprised if CT does not have a WiFi access point built in. CT might even have a deployable perimeter security system for campin…. (Think “ Forbidden Planet”) just a speculation.
Being in tech, I love seeing a leader who wants to apply tech foundation concepts to any industry
Back in the day at Selsius, whom Cisco acquired for VoIP, this company was just a bunch of tech guys thinking they can replace the old style phone system PBX with a SQL database and the rest is history
Elon is thinking computer networking in the Cybertruck CT as a communication method and 48 volts
Seems brilliant but all he did was think tech for a new vehicle foundation
Using Ethernet networking and 48 volts will revolutionize the automotive industry
Nice job Elon

Being in tech, I love seeing a leader who wants to apply tech foundation concepts to any industry
Back in the day at Selsius, whom Cisco acquired for VoIP, this company was just a bunch of tech guys thinking they can replace the old style phone system PBX with a SQL database and the rest is history
Elon is thinking computer networking in the Cybertruck CT as a communication method and 48 volts
Seems brilliant but all he did was think tech for a new vehicle foundation
Using Ethernet networking and 48 volts will revolutionize the automotive industry
Nice job Elon
I gotta admin I'm an old fart who started at 300 baud just after acoustic couplers were a thing.... so I recently learned about can bus and it's a really neat protocol running at 250k and 500k baud..... tonight I saw interview with Elon and Sandy Munro where Elon says "can bus is slow" .... OMG..... I just got used to seeing the plethora of packets from my solar inverter over can bus.... to think that's slow... wowser.