Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Dave & Nigel,

Tech enticement at Tesla showroom

So, all we have to do is get our neighbors to buy a Tesla. :wink:

Larry

Grrr. I still think They're Doing It Wrong.

I mean, yeah, you want to use maps of customer locations to do planning. But heat maps are just wrong... If you have a thinly spread distribution of customers across the Rust Belt (low "heat"), you want a service center in the Rust Belt... possibly several. In contrast, if you have a massive hot blotch of many customers located at LA, you still only really want one service center for LA (you just need to make it large).

Geographical distribution is *important* for service centers. My extreme (300 mi.) distance from the nearest service center is the *least* attractive thing about buying a Tesla. If they don't place service centers in "lukewarm" areas, they're going to set off a self-reinforcing cycle, where nobody else in those areas buys cars from Tesla because it's too hard to get them serviced! And that's a bad way to run a company.

Anywhere with large population, even if only one of them has ordered a Tesla, needs to have a service center within a reasonable distance. (And once people in the area see that first Tesla, they'll buy Teslas.) Meanwhile, if a single city has 3000 Teslas, it still doesn't need more than one service center (the customer concentration is only useful to determine *size* of service centers).

Or we could start placing more reservations.....:biggrin:

I can't talk anyone else I know into buying the car sight unseen. I do expect several to order them soon after I get mine. Except that the distance from the nearest service center is also a red flag for people... if they got a service center into central NY I'd expect two more reservations the day after mine was delivered.

I've never been charged ranger fees for warranty issues (400 miles round trip). I expect this to continue with the Model S. I'm sure they know they can't get away with charging for warranty work.

Oh good! They are really going to want to locate some service centers in the Rust Belt then, though -- otherwise, Tesla will be eating the cost a lot of 300-mile round trips from NY or Chicago or Toronto.

That might be a good plan where required by law, but I don't think it's a good model in general. The Seattle Tesla Store benefits from current owners mingling with prospective customers while in for service. I brought my 2.5 in for minor servicing and a free charge, and ended up giving a ride to a prospect. He made it clear that every word I uttered as an owner was worth 100 words from a salesman.

In other words, I hope Tesla Stores combine sales and service everywhere it is legal.

I think one problem is that service is going to need a lot of space, very fast, as Model S sales ramp up, and will also need a lot of employees.

Whereas they want stores to be in high-traffic "advertising" locations, which are expensive.

I agree with you that it is better to combine them if they can find appropriate space.

Grrr. I still think They're Doing It Wrong.

I mean, yeah, you want to use maps of customer locations to do planning. But heat maps are just wrong... If you have a thinly spread distribution of customers across the Rust Belt (low "heat"), you want a service center in the Rust Belt... possibly several. In contrast, if you have a massive hot blotch of many customers located at LA, you still only really want one service center for LA (you just need to make it large).

Geographical distribution is *important* for service centers. My extreme (300 mi.) distance from the nearest service center is the *least* attractive thing about buying a Tesla. If they don't place service centers in "lukewarm" areas, they're going to set off a self-reinforcing cycle, where nobody else in those areas buys cars from Tesla because it's too hard to get them serviced! And that's a bad way to run a company.

Anywhere with large population, even if only one of them has ordered a Tesla, needs to have a service center within a reasonable distance. (And once people in the area see that first Tesla, they'll buy Teslas.) Meanwhile, if a single city has 3000 Teslas, it still doesn't need more than one service center (the customer concentration is only useful to determine *size* of service centers).

Hi,

I appreciate your point, but on the initial roll-out of service centers Tesla needs to put them where the owners are. A start-up company simply doesn't have the resources to put service centers everywhere at once. I wouldn't infer too much regarding that short quote I provided. Tesla will probably use different statistical techniques in different areas of the country. Obviously they have to count the number of owners in a given radius, but for instance they might not use the same radius in all regions of the country. In the longer term Tesla has an incentive to eventually extend their service network into less populated areas inorder to reduce Ranger travel costs.

Larry

Last edited:
I appreciate your point, but on the initial roll-out of service centers Tesla needs to put then where the owners are.
And Tesla knows where their reservations are right now. They have almost perfect knowledge of where they need to support initially, so it makes sense to prioritize those and then roll out as neroden mentioned as they transition from supporting initial sales to generating longer term sales in previously uncovered areas.

There must be a way to give more weight to the one Roadster in the middle of nowhere saying there must be a larger demand there if some one out there wants a car bad enough (remember how shocked Tesla was about Seattle?) and weigh that against the more populus Roadster ownership in areas that do have a service center.

And Tesla knows where their reservations are right now. They have almost perfect knowledge of where they need to support initially, so it makes sense to prioritize those and then roll out as neroden mentioned as they transition from supporting initial sales to generating longer term sales in previously uncovered areas.

Absolutely.

Larry

Hi Nigel,

Have you seen this private posting?

Hadn't seen that. Looks like Tom Saxton created it. Added my Roadster in any case, but now there are 2 others in Sarasota and about to be one more I believe (maybe already delivered as I write), not forgetting Warren just up the road.

Perhaps this explains why there is a "Miami" store/service center. :wink:

Hmmm, chicken and egg...? Which came first, the Roadsters or the Store?

I'm going to be in the northern bay area over the weekend. Is there value in making the long trip to the Santana Row store? Will I get to sit in the Model S and play with the screen? Is there a closer store to Sonoma?

I'm going to be in the northern bay area over the weekend. Is there value in making the long trip to the Santana Row store? Will I get to sit in the Model S and play with the screen? Is there a closer store to Sonoma?
I don't think the Model S is there right now but best to call the store and find out. If you've never been to a Tesla Store it might be fun but if it's a long drive, might not be worth it if the Model S isn't there.