Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Super Charger conspiracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably had more cases of cars running out of juice unable to find a charger that they want a bigger buffer. Still, the car should know when you are going home and that you often charge at home that when navigating there it does the 10% arrival approach.

Of course slow charging at higher state of charges doesn't help on busy sites.

Reactions: ringi
I had the opposite this week. First time I've used a SuC since this thread. Car predicted 10% at end of journey, I stopped added 10% and car showed 20% at end. Drove out of the car park and it dropped to 15%.
Same on the homeward journey. Car charged to 98% (not on an SuC) and it showed 20% remaining at end. Drove the car 50 yds and it dropped to 15%. I wouldn't be surprised if the range shown when stationary was using a different algorithm to when driving.

Maybe adding the famously fickle UK weather into the algorithm wasn't a good idea :)

I had the opposite this week. First time I've used a SuC since this thread. Car predicted 10% at end of journey, I stopped added 10% and car showed 20% at end. Drove out of the car park and it dropped to 15%.
Same on the homeward journey. Car charged to 98% (not on an SuC) and it showed 20% remaining at end. Drove the car 50 yds and it dropped to 15%. I wouldn't be surprised if the range shown when stationary was using a different algorithm to when driving.

Maybe adding the famously fickle UK weather into the algorithm wasn't a good idea :)
Maybe difference was (speculating only) that my route required to stop at SC in order to reach destination. Yours was voluntary as I presume

The first one I navigated to the SuC. The 2nd didn't need any stops.
But even taking the SuC out of the equation, the pre-drive and driving estimates differed from each other. So it looks like they've borked the calcs somewhere.

Another instance, SC at peak rate in Newport:

I arrive to SC with 29% SOC and car tells me I will be -19 at my destination if I will not charge. Usual stuff.

So I plug in and charge. I wait until it is charged to 70 odd %, and car telles me 1 minute before I can resume my trip. Fair enough,

I check sat nav and it tells me that I will arive with 19%>>> good enough. I jump out the car, disconnect the charger... Get in the car...

And now car tells me that I will arive hone with 30%

So not only it charges too much but also predicts arrival when charging at much lower SOC than reality, thus charging 10% more than it is really needed!

Another instance, SC at peak rate in Newport:

I arrive to SC with 29% SOC and car tells me I will be -19 at my destination if I will not charge. Usual stuff.

So I plug in and charge. I wait until it is charged to 70 odd %, and car telles me 1 minute before I can resume my trip. Fair enough,

I check sat nav and it tells me that I will arive with 19%>>> good enough. I jump out the car, disconnect the charger... Get in the car...

And now car tells me that I will arive hone with 30%

So not only it charges too much but also predicts arrival when charging at much lower SOC than reality, thus charging 10% more than it is really needed!
What did you arrive at home with?

Worth raising an SR to Tesla.

I don’t know. Emotional blackmail playing on range anxiety to boost revenue? Or just Tesla’s algorithm trying to protect us all from the UK weather. It’s a tough one.
It's certainly not the latter, as evidenced by:
1) There being no evidence, not even anecdotes, of people failing to charge enough at Superchargers over the past three years
2) The estimated destination arrival SoC suddenly jumping up by circa 10% shortly after leaving a charger

What if the range is lower with a cold battery and the software is incorrectly assuming the car with be unplugged from the supercharger and left in the cold for a long time before continuing to the destination?
That would be a strange assumption given that the car has a destination programmed into the Nav system.
Doesn't explain why it sometimes underestimates range either.

Simpler explanation is they broke the code. Has happened once or twice before :)

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
...Now, with energy prices at the high, with SC pricing being at £0.69 per kwh during the peak...
I think the far larger conspiracy is how malthusian-esq leaders/elites convinced the public cheap energy was bad.

Between the dubious vilification of nuclear (consider Germany shuttering their nuke reactors), science-as-religion, geopolitical intrigue (Nordstream), macro economics (petrodollar), and whatever else our beloved global elite are doing 'for our own good', I seriously doubt Tesla is scheming to extract extra sterling for their own ends.

Not saying there a'int a conspiracy, just I doubt Tesla's competency in being able to execute on it.

My guess at least.

Reactions: M3noob
Bit of a bump from outside the UK!

But back on topic rather than a political point, I have a theory that I think is entirely plausible :

When the car is preconditioning for charging it uses more energy,
When the car is charging, its either heating or cooling the battery to maintain the optimum settings.
Since the new energy chart thing, it works out whats functions are using energy, and that includes energy going to the battery for heating/cooling
Where it goes wrong is that it assumes that energy use will continue after you've finshed charging even when it won't.

So.. the car is 150 miles from the destination on a supercharger charger, sipping an additional x amount of electrons, can says.. I need this much for distance, this much for speed, this much for elevation and this much for battery conditioning - that means we'll get there with y%

Unplug, battery conditioning falls to zero as a result, and the car constantly recalculates.. so guess what.. it now thinks you have more left when you arrive because all that battery conditioning stuff isn;t needed